NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Grinding teeth and Parkinsons (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/43065-grinding-teeth-parkinsons.html)

MaryCAngelLady 04-07-2008 08:35 PM

Grinding teeth and Parkinsons

I have had Parkinsons for about 4 years and my symptoms are considered to be mild, I think, at this point. I have noticed that a lot of times recently, I wake up and I am biting down really hard. I have some caps in the front and they actually seem sore. I don't know if I am grinding my teeth or not. Has anyone else had this problem? I have also awakened myself with my arms being up in the air. Is this a symptom also? And my last question is within the last few days, I have felt really off balance and shaky. Is the past, my symptons gradually got worse. However, this last weekend, suddenly I was off balance and my hands were shaking and today it seems to be worse. Is this the way this works?

jcitron 04-07-2008 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryCAngelLady (Post 253870)
I have had Parkinsons for about 4 years and my symptoms are considered to be mild, I think, at this point. I have noticed that a lot of times recently, I wake up and I am biting down really hard. I have some caps in the front and they actually seem sore. I don't know if I am grinding my teeth or not. Has anyone else had this problem? I have also awakened myself with my arms being up in the air. Is this a symptom also? And my last question is within the last few days, I have felt really off balance and shaky. Is the past, my symptons gradually got worse. However, this last weekend, suddenly I was off balance and my hands were shaking and today it seems to be worse. Is this the way this works?

Hi MaryCAngelLady,

Interesting that you have the teeth grinding and clenching issue. I used to do that until I was on Sinemet. Now I now longer do that, but this is after I've broken all my molars and chipped my front teeth.

You should talk to your neurologist about your balance and tremors because you might be in for a medication change. This is part of the 'game' if you want to call it that. The condition gets worse over time, and you constantly need an ever increasing amount of medication to reach that magic balance. I've had the symptoms for about 4 or 5 years, but only recently back in November 2007 that my current neurologist finally put a name to the problems.

John

ol'cs 04-07-2008 10:12 PM

Bruxism..

as teeth grinding/ clenching is called, can be helped by taking a sinemet CR at night. It is often a trade off between teeth grinding and nightmares, but if you use a muscle relaxant sleep aid along with it, you can often notice a real improvement in symptoms. I have always been a grinder, even before a PD dx. Lately if i forget all the ingredients in my nighttime "cocktail", I wake up with pain and bleeding from my tongue being between my teeth:eek: getting bitten upon. I didn't take well to nighttime "retainers", i just can't stand the feel of anything in my mouth at night. Go to a dentist, if grinding is happening, it will be obvious to them, and a good dentist will recommend the cheap products instead of the expensive "made for you" variety that are usually totally unnecessary. The sports industry has developed a product that forms to your teeth under pressure and is disposable as it gets older. Under mediation is suspect in your case because you have noticed increasing daytime PD symptoms

jcitron 04-08-2008 11:15 AM

CS,

I too can't sleep with anything in my mouth except for my tongue. lol The Sinemet CR has helped considerably with the clenching and yes the tongue biting. I had a period where I was chomping both sides of my tongue one after another. Ouch!

I hope all is well with you. Happy spring!

John

MaryCAngelLady 04-08-2008 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcitron (Post 254258)
CS,

I too can't sleep with anything in my mouth except for my tongue. lol The Sinemet CR has helped considerably with the clenching and yes the tongue biting. I had a period where I was chomping both sides of my tongue one after another. Ouch!

I hope all is well with you. Happy spring!

John

Thanks to everyone for your input. I really appreicate it!

Chemar 04-08-2008 07:57 PM

Hi

pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) was remarkably helpful for my son's bruxism, which was related to TS tics

Royal Jelly is a very rich source of it

Fowki 04-08-2008 10:34 PM

Interesting...I thought it was just me!

However, I noticed it more after starting carb/levo. I take 25/100 five times daily, one of which is about 1 hour before bed, supplemented by selegiline and mirapex.