NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Does anyone NOT use steroids with any flare ups? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/43398-steroids-flare-ups.html)

beautytransforming 04-12-2008 01:22 PM

Does anyone NOT use steroids with any flare ups?

I had gastric bypass. We are not supposed to do steroids. Not only that, I HATE steroids and their side effects. I have decided that with any possible future flare ups, I will not use steroids. The book I am reading (New hope and practical advice for ppl and families with MS) says that steroids do not help everytime, that after the first year or so, they lost their efficacy, and that they do not help with all lesion locations (mainly the ones with loss of balance, coordination and speech which is mainly where I have been afflicted).

I plan on using rest and alternative therapy (massage, may trying accupuncture and such) when/if I have a flare.

Anyone else NOT use steroids at all?

Thanks for all the advice, answers and warm welcome!!

Snoopy 04-12-2008 02:36 PM

beautytransforming, I have had 6 exacerbations (relapse, flare-up, attack). The first 2 exacerbations I used oral prednisone - that and ACTH were the only options at that time.

The last 4 exacerbation I have waited out and just treat symptoms if needed.

There are some who have relapsing/remitting MS and can go into remission without the use of steroids but, there are some who can't remit without steroids.

It would really take alot to make me use steroids ever again but never say never.

My original neuro believes doctors are over prescribing steroids.

Friend2U 04-12-2008 03:09 PM

I can't use steriods...

Quote:

Originally Posted by beautytransforming (Post 256977)
I had gastric bypass. We are not supposed to do steroids. Not only that, I HATE steroids and their side effects. I have decided that with any possible future flare ups, I will not use steroids. The book I am reading (New hope and practical advice for ppl and families with MS) says that steroids do not help everytime, that after the first year or so, they lost their efficacy, and that they do not help with all lesion locations (mainly the ones with loss of balance, coordination and speech which is mainly where I have been afflicted).

I plan on using rest and alternative therapy (massage, may trying accupuncture and such) when/if I have a flare.

Anyone else NOT use steroids at all?

Thanks for all the advice, answers and warm welcome!!

...only as a last resort, which I haven't resorted too! I had hystoplasmosis in an eye many years ago and the steriod would cause a high risk of that being reactivated. So, basically I'm doing nothing so far.

Oh, and I had a lap band put in almost 2 years ago. How have you done on your weight loss?

Kitty 04-12-2008 03:59 PM

I have RRMS and have taken oral prednisone with lots of unappealing side effects. I choose not to take them anymore during a flare - I won't say I'll never take them again but it would be a last resort if I did. To me the side effects of the steroids are worse than the symptoms of the flare.

I suppose steroids affect everyone differently.

beautytransforming 04-12-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friend2U (Post 257027)
Oh, and I had a lap band put in almost 2 years ago. How have you done on your weight loss?

I am down 145 pounds, have 5 to my goal, 20 to the ultimate, OMG, never imagined goal =) I am planning plastics for next year. I would do this every year if I had to! Best thing I ever did for myself!! How are you doing? I know the lap band is generally slower and harder, and takes the most will-power. I never had any.

tovaxin_lab_rat 04-12-2008 06:26 PM

I have used IVSM to treat the 21+ exacerbations I've had since my dx in early 2001. I have RRMS. I do not use oral pred, it makes me very sick.

There are about as many opinions about using steroids to treat an exacerbation as there are neurologists...;)

There are also alternatives to treating exacerbations. One size does not fit all! Some people do not tolerate IV steroids, some do not tolerate other tx...

From the National MS Society, here's some basic information:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ons/index.aspx

Here's some alternative therapy:
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ine/index.aspx

Remember, knowledge is power. ;)

SurvivingMSwithHOPE 04-12-2008 06:46 PM

I can't take steroids. My skin, especially my face turns beat red and I feel like I have a horrible sunburn and then in some places I peel. On steroids I am known as the "screaming red meanie".:eek: So, definately a no no for me.

I just do what I can do get over the exacerbations. The last time my ears were really affected, like a roaring ocean, was terrible. I let my PCP give me a shot of Predisone in the rear. Wasn't enough to really effect me bad and it helped GREATLY!

SurvivingMSwithHOPE 04-12-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Av8rgirl (Post 257151)
21+ exacerbations

21+ !!!!! I will never whine again!!;)

tovaxin_lab_rat 04-12-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurvivingMSwithHOPE (Post 257161)
21+ !!!!! I will never whine again!!;)

I totally expect everyone to whine! What will I do with all this Cheese!!!!

http://www.lowell.edu/users/grundy/images/cheese.jpg

rdmc 04-12-2008 07:15 PM

I don't take steroids for an exacerbation. Took them once, and my tongue swelled up and blocked my airway...so no more for me. I just wait out exacerbations. Even if I could take them, I'd probably forego them at this point in my life as I'm starting to deal with some osteopenia according to my bone scans, and steroids can lead to osteoporosis.