NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Children's Health (https://www.neurotalk.org/children-s-health/)
-   -   constipation (https://www.neurotalk.org/children-s-health/43721-constipation.html)

Motors Mommy 04-17-2008 07:48 AM

constipation

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

My 4 yo has constant constipation. What makes a child "go"?

If you need more info.....please see my post under autism.

Thank you!!!!

sjp_fanatic 04-21-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motors Mommy (Post 260247)
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

My 4 yo has constant constipation. What makes a child "go"?

If you need more info.....please see my post under autism.

Thank you!!!!

This is going to sound odd, but it has worked very well for me on more than one occasion.

Anway, have your child sit so far back on the toilet seat that s/he can touch the back of the toilet bowl ring with their tailbone. The way I am guessing WHY this works is because the "cheeks" are pushed apart and you are more "open" to "go" easier.

PS.
I don't know if it's recommended for a child as young as four, but maybe
some kind of fiber mix. (Something that will dissolve completely, I had to
do this once before the "new" fiber drinking mixes that dissolve completely and are virtually tasteless. You can put it in plain water or any kind of juice. (I don't think kool-aid would be a problem, either.) Good luck!

gagracie 04-22-2008 10:50 PM

My son has had issues with constipation since birth. He was born at 28 weeks and has been on Miralax since I brought him home. Miralax is now available over the counter. We have always had success with the Miralax, you will just have to monitor and adjust the dosage.

It is a white powder you can mix in with any liquid. Ryan likes it best with his milk. I would suggest getting blending it so it gets mixed well. It is very grainy if you don't.

therextras 05-05-2008 06:20 PM

Other than diet...

Constipation is the kind of problem that is not easy to talk about - but poop (or not pooping, in this case) is a daily topic of conversation between many parents.

You do not say if your child has a diagnosis or has been treated by a physician for constipation. Drinking plenty of fluids is important, too - the more like water, the less sugar, the better. The sugar substitute Splenda has a mild stool-loosening effect. Start-off with very little if your child has never had it before.

Other than medication and diet, whatever you can do to help your child be more active or move more. If your child has a movement disorder (like CP) I hope the therapists who work with your child can give you specific recommendations - knowing your child. If your child has little movement ability, is your child on a standing program? If you are comfortable, ask someone to teach you to mildly massage your child's abdomen.

Constipation is one of the effects of not moving mentioned in my post: Effects of Not Moving at **** Barbara, PT & OT

Chemar 05-05-2008 08:50 PM

Motors Mommy, just a little word of caution on the Splenda/sucralose suggested above... it may have some adverse effects on health, and especially negative effects for kids with neurological problems. I would personally not give it to a child, and for sure not to one with autism. Our physician told us to avoid it, especially for our son who has Tourette Syndrome

here is some of the cautionary info on splenda

adding a lil disclaimer...I am posting this caution as just a member, and not as representative of NT :winky:

Sannah 05-09-2008 07:37 AM

Hi, is there any chance that your child could have food allergies? We have a lot of experience with this. My daughter never had a normal poop either. Her food allergies were all related to her not having healthy normal flora in her gut. Healthy normal flora are related to normal bowel movements. I have heard that their might be a relationship with food allergies and autism?