NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Sometimes it just isn't funny (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/44027-sometimes-isnt-funny.html)

Blessings2You 04-21-2008 05:08 PM

Sometimes it just isn't funny

I was talking with a friend earlier, and I'll confess that I hung up feeling a little hurt. I was kinda baring my soul, so to speak, and I thought she was treating my comments way too lightly.

I'm thinking it's probably partly my own fault. My philosophy is "always leave 'em laughing", and I'll admit that I feel that I've done my job when somebody says "You're so funny!" I like being funny. Not silly, necessarily (well, once in a while), but I like to make people laugh. It's hard to get through life without a sense of humor!

I've written a few essays for a local publication, and nothing makes my day more than having somebody say "I thought I'd die laughing!!"

But you know, if you get the reputation of being "funny", sometimes you want to be serious and people are waiting for the punchline. Or something. Anybody else have that problem? Maybe I'm just having one of those over-sensitive days.

beautytransforming 04-21-2008 05:26 PM

Aww, honey, I am sorry you felt hurt. Sometimes people just don't know how to respond when we are not "ourselves."

I have a picture on my page, it really explains how I feel sometimes:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...a0dc35e7f7.jpg

BTW, I am sending a great big :hug: Hope you feel better. If you wanna talk, someitmes a strangers ear is great... you can PM me, and I'll give y ou my number (hey that goes for anyone, I am open and not afraid of stalkers :eek: )

Twinkletoes 04-21-2008 05:26 PM

Wish you were my next door neighbor: we'd get along great!!!

Maybe when you're ready to have someone listen to you seriously, preface your comments with, "Okay, tell me what you think about this."

I dunno, I should take my own advice, Lol! Good luck to you, B2Y! :hug:

Blessings2You 04-24-2008 07:17 PM

Or, I could start to cry when they laugh at me. Wait. I could start to cry BEFORE they laugh at me.

AZjanie 04-24-2008 07:21 PM

I am usually such a comic that when I try to be serious no one takes me seriously.

Guess that is being type-cast?

Blessings2You 04-24-2008 07:25 PM

EXACTLY!!! Guess it's the price we have to pay.

snoodles 04-24-2008 07:33 PM

Me too - at work.

CayoKay 04-24-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessings2You (Post 263582)
But you know, if you get the reputation of being "funny", sometimes you want to be serious and people are waiting for the punchline. Or something.

sometimes I just wanna whine a wee bit...

can't be "on" all the time, and it's dismaying that it seems that some people only want to be entertained, and don't wanna hear the nuggets of reality that crop up.

like spending an hour leaning into my composting toilet, scrubbing and brushing the interior walls with disinfectant, because I didn't quite make it into position before things let loose.

geeze, I can't WAIT until we move into the new house... I've had just about ENOUGH of being "green" and environmentally low-impact, I wanna FLUSH.

:o

Curious 04-24-2008 07:39 PM

b2u...yup. i understand.

i have serious back problems. sometimes i can't feel my legs and sometimes it's worse.

one evening hubby and i were reading in bed. i needed to go potty :o. i could not get out of bed. legs would not work at all.

he thought i was kidding. pushed me right out of bed onto the floor.

even laying there...he thought i was kidding. :eek: that dude was lucky i didn't pee on the floor.

laughter is a best medicine.

weegot5kiz 04-24-2008 09:03 PM

blessings I know what you mean totally, I have always lived with a laugh attitude, that has come back to haunt me, when i want to be serious. there have been times where i have walked away wondering what point of help didnt they understand, and wonder what or why, and then think maybe it was because i am always so light or humerous that i wasnt being taken serious, so what was it you were saying lol sorry just kidding I'm sorry i couldnt refuse. I do understand your feelings, you are not alone, you are always welcomed to shout in my direction