NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Numbness in top of left foot -- what is this??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/44780-numbness-top-left-foot.html)

Annettemarie 05-01-2008 10:02 PM

Numbness in top of left foot -- what is this???

Hello, I am very new here and would appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have. I'm 45 and in generally good health, but 5 nights ago I woke up to a wierd pressure/discomfort in my left hip, that as I moved to change positions went shooting down my left leg to my foot. The next morning I realized that the top of my left foot including the middle two toes and up to my ankle was numb -- like it had been given a shot of novacaine. It doesn't effect the movement of the foot at all, and I barely notice it except when the top of my foot brushes something or I touch it to see if it is still numb. I don't have any idea what it is, though I've been reading that pinched nerves can cause numbness. I have a sister with MS who has similiar type symptoms, so internally I've been "freaking out" a bit with this. So far I've just been hoping it would go away....but not sure what to do.

Thanks for any insights....
Annette

tovaxin_lab_rat 05-01-2008 11:30 PM

Welcome to Neurotalk Annette. ;)

I have MS and my feet are numb most of the time although I've never had any shooting pain as you've described. I have heard people with pinched nerves or "sciatica" describe that sort of shooting pain.

If it persists, you might want to get it checked out by doctor. Numbness is not good...:(

Koala77 05-01-2008 11:38 PM

Hi there Annette, and welcome to NeuroTalk.

I'm sure if you've been doing some research, you will have already discovered that the symptoms that you have may be attributed to MS.

On the other hand, I'm sure that you will also have found out that there are a multitude of other conditions that will give you similar symptoms.

Av8rgirl has already suggested sciatica, then there's peripheral neuropathy, peripheral vascular disease, just to name two. There are many more as well Annette, so try not to worry too much just now.

Have a look around the board, and join into any forum where you feel comfortable.

I hope you get a diagnosis soon.

thursday 05-02-2008 12:15 AM

My vote is sciatic nerve. I want to say it sounds like a temporary numbness and maybe it will go away :) But I also really will say- go to a doctor soon about it just to be safe and pro-active.

merri 02-18-2013 11:48 PM

numbness on top of left foot

Recently I noticed numbness on top of my left foot, but the past couple of days I noticed that it is spreading down to my toes and up past my ankle. The bottom of my feet still have feeling. Should I be concerned enough to contact my doctor. I am 53 years old.