NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Hi. Can someone help me figure this out?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/44892-hi-help-figure.html)

Lymiegal 05-03-2008 01:08 PM

Hi. Can someone help me figure this out??

Hi,
I'm new to this forum but I have a question for anyone out there with MS. My 15yo daughter has just been told she has MS in her brain stem. Her history includes CNS Lyme disease, Babesia, Bartonella, Epilepsy, Ventricular Tachycardia to name a few.

She's had an abnormal BAER test, nystagmus, ataxia and her neurologist feels it is in the brain stem. We are very scared. Her neuro. and her Lyme doc want her to get IVIG, but we are in the process for that.

She has a central line and is on IV Rocephin, IV Zithromax, Keppra, Lamictal, Zonergran, Atenolol and a few other meds daily. All as a result of the Lyme infection not diagnosed and allowed to run rampant in her body since birth.

We need some input. Thanks. Lymiegal

MSacorn 05-03-2008 01:45 PM

Hi Lymiegal
Welcome to the group. I'm sorry I don't have any help for you. Except to say have you posted on the Lyme Disease board: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum91.html

There are some theories that MS and Lyme are connected in some way. You may want to do a search, for Lyme, on this board also, as it came up earlier this year.

And weekend are much less busy here, but will really pick up again during the week. Don't worry if you don't get a quick answer. I'm sure someone will be along.

HTH:hug:

Erin524 05-03-2008 02:05 PM

I'm of the opinion that Lyme and MS are probably both related to each other. I've had a couple of Western Blot tests for Lyme, along with the unreliable ELISA test for Lyme. All of them came back with a couple of bands of Lyme specific bacteria...just never enough bands of bacteria to satisfy the CDC's criteria for a positive Lyme test result.

I do believe I have MS, but have just never felt that any of the doctors that I've seen have taken me seriously about my suspicions that it could be Lyme. (I've had 3 or 4 known tick bites, two of them associated with an EM-like rash) It's just my intense curiousity that keeps me wondering about it. Even if this is Lyme and not MS, I'm pretty sure that I'm stuck with all the neurological crap anyways...so it's not like things would change for me even if I could prove it was Lyme.

My regular doctor has told me that when I can afford it, that he'll do a blood draw for me to get tested for all the Lyme co-infections to send to an independent lab. (test costs more than $600 and isnt covered by my insurance) At least he's willing to take me seriously on that. I just cant afford the test yet.

Hopefully you can get the problems that your daughter has taken care of. I hope that all the antibiotics work and get rid of all the Lyme bacterias and that she wont have any lingering neurological or other health problems.

I think it's strange that the medical community will not seem to take Lyme disease seriously. I've heard of people who have raging, obvious cases of Lyme disease...the bacterias are practically waving hello to the doctors on the lab tests and the doctors couldnt see it.

I hope her doctors can help your daughter get better soon.

Friend2U 05-03-2008 02:24 PM

Just want to say my thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

You will find many caring folks here at NT that will be of great help and support to you. Hang in there! :hug:

~Friend

lady_express_44 05-03-2008 02:35 PM

What kind of input are you looking for Lymiegirl . . . ideas on meds for MS? :confused:

I don't know of anyone who has been dx with both Lyme and MS, although there has always been talk about those two conditions potenitally being connected.

Are you comfortable with the experience level of her medical professionals? Have you sought a second opinion on the accuracy of these two dx? Was she tested for Lyme in the ONLY lab I know of (in California) which produces ACCURATE Lyme dx?

I am so very sorry to hear of your young daughter's health challenges. :( You must be devastated, and she must be very disheartened as well. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

Cherie

Chemar 05-03-2008 03:10 PM

Hi again Lymiegal :)

I copied your post over here from the New Members intro forum as I know our MS members have a wealth of info and experience and support to offer you.:grouphug:

here is also a post from our Lyme Forum where it is claimed that sometimes Lyme can MIMIC Ms:confused:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=25551

hoping you find answers to help your precious daughter.

with prayers lifted for her and your whole family
Cheri

Lymiegal 05-03-2008 03:13 PM

Thanks,
We did get our testing through Igenex in CA (we've had 7-8 CDC and Igenex positive Western Blots - she gets tested every 3 months) and have had both of her doctors agree that the MS appears to be in her brain stem. Actually, Lyme and MS are very intertwined as they are both demylineating and look the same on MRI. I was hoping to find anyone else that has MS in the brain stem. Thanks, Lymiegal

Lymiegal 05-03-2008 03:14 PM

Hey Cheri,
Do you go to CCO? =)

Chemar 05-03-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lymiegal (Post 271999)
Hey Cheri,
Do you go to CCO? =)

That's me :D

good to see you here :hug: and do keep checking for the replies as it does slow down here over weekend but gets busier during week.

we are praying for your daughter and whole family
:grouphug:

lady_express_44 05-03-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lymiegal (Post 271999)
Hey Cheri,
Do you go to CCO? =)

I'm not sure what that is, so I don't think so. :confused: :p
I have been wanting to get tested for Lyme at that place in CA (I think it is the one you mentioned), but haven't gotten around to it yet.

From what I've heard, a Lyme disease dx can rather dubious, even in the best of labs. I have heard of people who have had their dx changed from Lyme to MS, and I just remembered that one person I've talked to who had both (does anyone know if BadKitty is still around the forums?).

Lesions can be very difficult to spot on a MRI, but there are definitely some people around here who have them in the brainstem. I might, based on the symptoms in my last attack, but I haven't had a MRI in years.

What do you want to know about brainstem lesions?

Cherie