NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Teeth Clenching / Grinding (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/44937-teeth-clenching-grinding.html)

Kitty 05-04-2008 06:37 AM

Teeth Clenching / Grinding

Has anyone dealt with teeth clenching and/or grinding? I have noticed that in the past year I have woken up quite often with my teeth clenched like I was hanging on for dear life. I even notice that I'm doing it during the day, too! :eek: Seems like I read somewhere that Zoloft causes this in some people. Is this true? Maybe I should ask my Neuro about it - I've meant to every time I've gone in for an appointment but keep forgetting to bring it up. :rolleyes: It's beginning to cause me headaches and when I notice I'm doing it when I'm awake I make an effort to stop - but when I'm asleep I can't. :(

Dejibo 05-04-2008 08:02 AM

I grind my teeth, and found that the muscle relaxers help. I still do it, but dont have that grinding for dear life clench when i wake up.

AfterMyNap 05-04-2008 08:26 AM

Wow, I never knew that Zoloft was associated with that! I used to have it very badly, especially at night. I got a guard to wear at night. But, now that I think about it, it hasn't happened in a long while and I've been off Zoloft for a couple years. Hmmm.

lady_express_44 05-04-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady_express_44 (Post 223188)
My pain, that turned out to be TMJ (thought was TN), was jaw pain from clenching my teeth mostly. This happened because of some medication I was on and I had to get a guard for my teeth when I slept. The pain (clenching, ear ringing, etc.) let up as soon as I went off that medication though.

The cause of my TMJ and clenching (I also sucked my tongue at the same time :eek:) was Celexa, a A/D.

Cherie

Jules A 05-04-2008 10:22 AM

I had never heard that ADs could cause it, guess you learn something new everyday. :)

I do it and my Mom does it, she's not on anything, so I figured it was a familial thing. Anyhoo I'd ask your dentist about it because they can fit you for a night guard if your insurance accepts it. If not and you think it might help I got one at the drug store for $25 that you shape to your teeth. It does help although I don't like wearing it.

lady_express_44 05-04-2008 10:58 AM

Perhaps other drugs can too, but I know A/D's do from experience (I've also read it). That is true with tinnitus as well.

If a person clenches too much for too long, they can cause themselves TMJ too, and wear those joints down. That's what was happening to me, and the reason I had to invest in a mouth guard (@ $300 from my dentist). In the end, stopping Celexa was the answer . . . although not everyone can go off their antidepressant either.

I am very sensitive to drugs though.

Cherie

gonnamakeit 05-04-2008 11:49 AM

I had a mouth guard made by my dentist because my teeth were getting too ground down. It cost $350. It was a good investment. Drugs had nothing to do with my grinding because I take nothing but vitamins.

gmi

MSacorn 05-04-2008 11:56 AM

I am a teeth clencher from way back. I especially notice it during times of stress.

I recently got an inexpensive, $98, soft night guard for my lower teeth from my dentist. It has helped, but mostly I am doing my best to remain stressfree.

If I wake with a headache, I make a conscious effort to breathe more slowly throughout the day, and stay relaxed. I also chew like I have gum in my mouth throughout the day. It seems to help a bit, but maybe it's the placebo effect. Writing may be helpful in clearing the mind.

I don't think mine is med related, but I used to be a real type A person. I'm hoping you are feeling better. Being aware of a situation is the first step to solving it.

:hug:

Jomar 05-04-2008 11:56 AM

Can you add a Vitamin B Complex supplement and see if that helps - b vitamins are the stress fighters.

watsonsh 05-04-2008 12:13 PM

JO I was thinking the smae thing.

I was clenching and grinding and had a mouth guard made.

My dentist also told me about B vitamins. I googled it and sure enough they recommend B vitamins for bruxism. I think B5.