NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Weight Loss & Healthy Living (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/)
-   -   Apple Cider Vinegar (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/44993-apple-cider-vinegar.html)

Vowel Lady 05-05-2008 10:40 AM

Apple Cider Vinegar

This apple cider vinegar thing has come up in my area again.
Some people are claiming you drink two talesppons of this before each meal and lose weight. Some mix it with water, some mix it with honey.
Some say it changes your ph.
The idea is that it either increases your metabolism or decreases appetite.
Anyone know anything about this?

AfterMyNap 05-05-2008 11:36 AM

Yuck! I'm going to check this out, it sounds fishy to me.:rolleyes:

Okay, here is the general observation from the article at WebMD, it agrees with the others I browsed:

"The answer depends on how you want to use apple cider vinegar. As a salad dressing, you should be fine. But taken as a daily medical treatment, it could be a little more risky. Yes, some studies of applecider vinegar are intriguing. But a lot more research needs to be done. Right now, there is not enough evidence that apple cider vinegar -- or any vinegar -- has any health benefit for any condition. Since the benefits are unknown, so are the risks.

If you're thinking about trying apple cider vinegar, talk to your doctor first. It's always worth getting an expert's advice. Your doctor can also make sure that the apple cider vinegar won't affect other health conditions or the effectiveness of the medicines you take. Trying to control a serious medical condition on your own with an unproven treatment is both unwise and dangerous."

I'd recommend reading the whole article, it offers a good amount of information on the benefits and risks of using apple cider vinegar as a dietary supplement:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar

Vowel Lady 05-05-2008 12:37 PM

Thank you!
The claim does sound supicious to me.
Something not having any scientific evidence to back up claims would certainly give me pause.
HOWEVER, at my age, I have certainly seen enough situations where the medical community was very slow to back up simple remedies that help people. I don't think they are all that motivated to allow people to think that they can try over the counter products and get relief for some of their ailments.
This is why I like to check out claims that you hear. I do think that sometimes there is at least some truth to them and it is hard to get out the truth when doctors and pharmaceutical companies would prefer it not be heard.
In the way back of my mind...I always remember how there once was a time that doctors didn't think it was necessary to wash their hands prior to surgery. My guess is that there were folks who said "Maybe we should wash our hands before surgery?" and the 'medical community' laughed at them.
Ideas change and it takes an open mind (lack of bias) combined with science to really get at the truth.
Sorry for the soap box...speech.
Thanks for the article. It was helpful.

DM 05-05-2008 01:07 PM

Hey Vowel lady~ I'm gonna chime in here and just say that old saying...

If it's too good to be true, It probably is.

I know that kick was going around here for awhile and the people were drinking the ACV or taking the tablet form. I don't think any of them lost any weight.

JMHO.

Roseblue 06-09-2008 12:06 PM

You might find this interesting -

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m..._20152545/pg_1

The sour truth about apple cider vinegar - evaluation of therapeutic use

"Apple cider vinegar is an old folk remedy claimed to be beneficial in treating a long list of ailments. Proponents say that it can cure arthritis, guard against osteoporosis, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, prevent cancer, destroy infection, assist in digestion and weight control, maintain memory, and protect the mind from aging....."

Vowel Lady 06-10-2008 12:24 AM

I do NOT believe that Apple Cider Vinegar is helpful.
However, I did read in one of my many books (wrriten by a well respected physician...will try to post later) that Green Tea has been scientifically proven to cause slight thermogenesis....it burns fat...so it might very well help!

Marci 08-06-2008 05:38 AM

No way, Jose.

I in sheer desperation to lose weight have twice tried this method.
Twice I have put on weight. It is not the way to go for me. I can only speak for myself but there is no way I would recommend it to anyone. I have tried it with water as well as with honey. Change your ph? who knows. I found that it stimulated my appetite. Then you had to force it down as it is revolting to swallow. So I figured who needs to drink a yucky mixed substance when I know I will put on weight again. No thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vowel Lady (Post 273053)
This apple cider vinegar thing has come up in my area again.
Some people are claiming you drink two talesppons of this before each meal and lose weight. Some mix it with water, some mix it with honey.
Some say it changes your ph.
The idea is that it either increases your metabolism or decreases appetite.
Anyone know anything about this?