NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   new tos need information (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/45071-tos-information.html)

roybean88 05-06-2008 09:17 AM

new tos need information

Hello, I just had doppler ultrasound and I have TOS in the right arm. However my left arm hurts and goes numb in the pinky area more often than the right. My questions are anyone know a good PT in the spring,texas woodlands,tx area? Also what type of PT do they do for people with TOS?

stephlew 05-06-2008 11:09 AM

Most people that have tos on one side usually have it on the other side too. You can have similar symptoms or very few. You can try the pt. What I have experienced there is few that get a great deal of relief with it. It will educate you on posture tips and stretches that can give some relief though. If you don't find you help with pt. Research the name of the doctor that did the rib resection on the lead singer for the hanson band member. He had his rib removed at baylor medical center. If you have a positive dopler with all those symptoms you probably would benefit from that the most. Your having compression at the bracial plexus which puts pressure on those nerves that are giving you the symptoms. Scar tissue forms over time and the longer one goes on the more forms and your outcome may not be a good with a long delay. Did you loose your pulse with your arms elevated above your head. If so don't do activities that require you to elevate your arms over your head. I hope this information is some help. It is a no fun problem. Im just curious. Do one of you shoulders droop lower on the affected side. Do you have a long neck and broad shoulders. Many tos that haven't had a causing injury have the same build.

finz 05-07-2008 12:27 AM

Make sure to find a PT who has experience with TOS. I had two tough PT programs that made my symptoms pressively worse. Thankfully, my third PT knew what she was doing. Beware weights and rubber bands. The focus should be on stretching the fascia. Building muscle, which they will tell you will better your posture and give the area stability/less strain, may actually increase the muscle mass of the scalenes which can put more pressure on the nerves and/or blood vessels affected by compression in the brachial plexus.

Jomar 05-07-2008 12:30 AM

Hello and welcome to both of you.
Feel free to read some threads and look thru our useful stickys up above.
I didn't see this until tonite:)

Koala77 05-07-2008 12:32 AM

Hi there roybean88, and welcome to NeuroTalk.

I'm sure you'll find some great people here in the TOS Forum, but don't forget to check out the other others as well.

Welcome again, I'm so pleased that you found us.

Koala77 05-07-2008 12:36 AM

Welcome as well stephlew.

Two new members at once. WOW!

We love new members. Welcome!

Jomar 05-07-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roybean88 (Post 273711)
Hello, I just had doppler ultrasound and I have TOS in the right arm. However my left arm hurts and goes numb in the pinky area more often than the right. My questions are anyone know a good PT in the spring,texas woodlands,tx area? Also what type of PT do they do for people with TOS?

I guess a good place to start is what are your most bothersome symptoms and what is your avg daily pain level {0 = none - 10= passing out from pain}

Did you have a specific injury or did this come on over time?

PT in general can be OK as long as they don't use a cookie cutter/one size fits all treatment plan. They need to listen to you and make sure nothing increases any symptoms. Some times they will rush you into strengthening therapy when you are still having pain and other symptoms. NOT a good thing:(.
Also whole body posture needs to be looked at {head forward/shoulders forward etc} Alexander, Feldenkrais that sort of thing
alignment too - IMO , esp if someone had any fall, sport injury, car accident - anything with some impact that might have caused misalignments.

watsonsh 05-07-2008 12:28 PM

Hi Roy,

Welcome. I have some ideas I will pm ou about.

:hug:

roybean88 05-07-2008 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephlew (Post 273799)
Most people that have tos on one side usually have it on the other side too. You can have similar symptoms or very few. You can try the pt. What I have experienced there is few that get a great deal of relief with it. It will educate you on posture tips and stretches that can give some relief though. If you don't find you help with pt. Research the name of the doctor that did the rib resection on the lead singer for the hanson band member. He had his rib removed at baylor medical center. If you have a positive dopler with all those symptoms you probably would benefit from that the most. Your having compression at the bracial plexus which puts pressure on those nerves that are giving you the symptoms. Scar tissue forms over time and the longer one goes on the more forms and your outcome may not be a good with a long delay. Did you loose your pulse with your arms elevated above your head. If so don't do activities that require you to elevate your arms over your head. I hope this information is some help. It is a no fun problem. Im just curious. Do one of you shoulders droop lower on the affected side. Do you have a long neck and broad shoulders. Many tos that haven't had a causing injury have the same build.

I am not really sure if I lost my pulse or not. However the line was flat on the paperwork the dr showed me. I work at the pc all day & have bad posture I am sure that has allot to do with it. I have a short new (as I am a short person) and have small shoulders.

Not sure if this have anything to do with TOS or not but, I have swelling/fatty tissue growth on my left rib cage by the 7th rib. I had a CT done last year to see what that was all about. I also have a fatty tissue growth around my right shoulder blade that has been there for years. 2nd I have 2 slipped disk in my lumbar spine. And I also have a neuromuscler disorder.

I take Soma's & Gabapentin for pain :eek:

roybean88 05-07-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo55 (Post 274704)
I guess a good place to start is what are your most bothersome symptoms and what is your avg daily pain level {0 = none - 10= passing out from pain}

Did you have a specific injury or did this come on over time?

PT in general can be OK as long as they don't use a cookie cutter/one size fits all treatment plan. They need to listen to you and make sure nothing increases any symptoms. Some times they will rush you into strengthening therapy when you are still having pain and other symptoms. NOT a good thing:(.
Also whole body posture needs to be looked at {head forward/shoulders forward etc} Alexander, Feldenkrais that sort of thing
alignment too - IMO , esp if someone had any fall, sport injury, car accident - anything with some impact that might have caused misalignments.

Thank you for the information. My pain varies depending on what I do each day. Most of the time it is not that bad, I take Soma's & Gabapentin for pain etc. This just came over time I think from working at the pc all day & having bad posture. I guess I will try & find a good PT in the area. Thanks again for the info. I will look at the sticky's etc.
===