NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Medicines need to stop taking before teeth pulled (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/45089-medicines-stop-taking-teeth-pulled.html)

BigJHig 05-06-2008 11:53 AM

Medicines need to stop taking before teeth pulled

I would like to know if anyone has had teeth pulled while on Plavix and aspirin
program. Not coming off either one,dentist say no problem.
Jerry

Bryanna 05-07-2008 12:21 AM

blood thinners and oral surgery

Hi BigJHig,

Every patients case has to be evaluated individually. Since these medications prevent the blood from clotting normally, yes, they could cause some bleeding complications during or after oral surgery.

It may be wise to have a PT (Prothrombin time) test done the day before the surgery to determine your blood clotting factor. In our office, we never operate on people who are on any form of blood thinning meds without that blood test first. The results will determine whether or not the meds should be stopped for the surgery.

Let us know how you make out!

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJHig (Post 273842)
Jerry

Twinkletoes 05-07-2008 12:37 AM

I remember bleeding a lot at the dentist's office -- we decided it was because I used nasal spray. Have fun? :confused:;)

ConsiderThis 05-07-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJHig (Post 273842)
Jerry

When I learned that Advil was weakening my jaw and thereby contributing to the infection I have from old dental implants I stopped using it or aspirin.

I now use Serrapeptase with excellent results, and I delight at how well my blood coagulates when I cut myself.

There was a great article the other day about how "elderly" taking drugs do less well than those who don't take drugs.

I'm sure that's true.

Plavix is a great money maker for its maker.

Not unlike Vioxx, in terms of profit, I'm sure.

BigJHig 05-13-2008 09:32 AM

Dentisty& Dental Issues

my friend did fine had 4 teeth pulled very little bleeding. doc said he put Gel in sockect to stop bleeding. That was a week ago tomorrow. Has temp bridge in now. Took total of 6 tab for pain.
Thank You,
Jerry

Bryanna 05-13-2008 08:04 PM

hey BigJHig

WHOO HOO to your friend!!
So glad his oral surgery worked out well! Thanks for keeping us posted~'.'~

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJHig (Post 278519)
my friend did fine had 4 teeth pulled very little bleeding. doc said he put Gel in sockect to stop bleeding. That was a week ago tomorrow. Has temp bridge in now. Took total of 6 tab for pain.
Thank You,
Jerry

Kitt 05-14-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConsiderThis (Post 274912)
When I learned that Advil was weakening my jaw and thereby contributing to the infection I have from old dental implants I stopped using it or aspirin..

Is that really true that Advil can contribute to your weakening jaw:confused: Is that true for anyone or just in your case. Just curious and thank you:)