NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Sleep Apnea & Sleep Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/sleep-apnea-and-sleep-disorders/)
-   -   Genetic pattern in sleep disorders? (https://www.neurotalk.org/sleep-apnea-and-sleep-disorders/4517-genetic-pattern-sleep-disorders.html)

Chemar 10-23-2006 12:01 PM

Genetic pattern in sleep disorders?

Hi
I am interested to know whether anyone with sleep probs has noticed that it may run in families?

I am usually up with the birds and struggle to be anything but a blob past 11.30pm..............but my husband is the exact opposite (and his dad before him) and our two sons seem to have his night owl tendency too. Been like that since they were tiny

Because my husband has always worked for himself, he has been able to cope with his routine, and tends to catnap around the clock and work in between.......... but both son's have only managed to cope with school routine by taking melatonin in low dose (600 mcg) each night (any higher dose and they get mega restless/edgy) but come the vacations and they are up all night, sleep all day:rolleyes: and my son in college has specifically signed up for class times starting after noon and many night classes........

so
it does seem a bit uncanny to me that both boys have dad and grandpas night owl tendency, even tho I tried to establish a different pattern for them since infancy

any research/info on this for me?

Lara 10-29-2006 04:38 PM

Chemar, I have some papers here somewhere. I'll post them when I can find them and get them organized.

Do you have a Medscape registration?
Circadian rhythm is one of the things that really interests me. Some years ago I was looking into it a lot because there was all the research coming out about Seasonal Affective Disorder and circadian rhythms.
I have problems with sleep, but it's for different reasons from my son. I have RLS. He on the other hand most certainly has issues with circadian rhythm.
My daughter on the other hand has no problems with sleep at all other than the usual teenage-oversleeping-in-the-morning business.

Medscape Medical News
Wake Time Influences Circadian Clock More Than Bed Time
Yael Waknine

Let me know if that url doesn't work. I copied it after I logged in.

[Edited 'cause I forgot something. There is a chapter regarding "sleep" in the book, "Advances in Neurology, Volume 85, Tourette Syndrome" (edited by Cohen, Jankovic, and Goetz) which would be available at medical libraries. There is a newer one out, Volume 99 which might have more up-to-date information, I don't know.]

Chemar 10-30-2006 07:11 AM

thanks Lara, I will take a look at those:)

my hubby and younger son both have TS/OCD but older son (now 20) seems not to have inherited the genes for those........but sure got the night owl one!

jccgf 11-05-2006 04:00 PM

Bumped into this by the "similiar thread" feature~

Not that you were talking about narcolepsy, but I know that narcolepsy is associated with HLA DQ1... and I came across that by chance when researching HLA DQ1, also associated with gluten sensitivity (but rarely celiac disease). Interestingly, I have known one person who said their narcolepsy disappeared with a gluten free diet.

Cara

loveshinesthru 11-07-2006 04:21 AM

my brother and i are night owls as well as my 3 daughters. my cousin and aunt on my dads side are also night owls. also my dad, my brother, my aunt and i all have sleep apnea.

loisba 11-15-2006 10:26 PM

Just happened to notice this thread, Chemar. My husband had sleep apnea, and now my grown son has it also. I'm not sure if either of our girls got the tendency, or not. Both my hubby and son also were, are, affected by night terrors.

homer 05-24-2007 09:07 PM

Hi- just reviewing this old thread. My night terrors and sleep apnea disappearded when i stopped all dairy.