NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   Big fat eyes and a nickel allergy (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/45472-fat-eyes-nickel-allergy.html)

katweena11 05-11-2008 08:53 PM

Big fat eyes and a nickel allergy

Hi everyone! I'm new here!
So many here seem to have an allergy to nickel so what better place to start
So here's my story...
I've been getting puffy, red itchy flaking eyes for about a year on and off. Been to several doctors and it's been nothing more than a run around.
I've also gotten a patch test and the only thing that has come up is nickel. Even without make-up I get flare ups. The make-up I use is all Marcelle. So my question is:

could I get a reaction only on my eyes if it's nickel in food related?

Thanks in advance!
Katrina

mrsD 05-12-2008 11:13 AM

If only eyes are affected....

I'd do this too:

Get a NEW pillow.... NOT FEATHER. Feather pillows can really irritate the eyes.

Also do not starch your pillowcases, and do NOT use fabric softeners when
you wash them. Things like Downy etc..can cause skin eczema.

It is best to double rinse your wash to get ALL the detergent out.
If you watch that second rinse, you'll see all the soap STILL coming out!

NickelNickel 06-15-2010 01:53 PM

Nickel Allergy & Eyes

Hi Katrina,

I'm wondering if you ever found out anything about your eyes and nickel intake from food. I have a similar problem. I know I'm allergic to nickel and also my eyes turn really red, itchy, burning, and teary sometimes and I don't know if the two are related or not. Many times it's after I try to eat really healthy and down a bunch of fresh fruit, salads, etc. Make-up also bothers me and I'm down to testing one ingredient at a time. For example, right now I'm trying to find a black iron oxide that doesn't bother me. I've heard that even the basic pigments have trace nickel depending on their source or the way that they were made. Anyway, it's weird that it's always my eyes and not my mouth. When my eyes are affected, it's also my sinuses and I have headaches. I'm also allergic to carmine, but I use carmine-free makeup, so that's not it (and I stay away from it in foods-it's in some fruit drinks, yogurts, etc).

CM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katweena11 (Post 277668)
So here's my story...
I've been getting puffy, red itchy flaking eyes for about a year on and off. Been to several doctors and it's been nothing more than a run around.
I've also gotten a patch test and the only thing that has come up is nickel. Even without make-up I get flare ups. The make-up I use is all Marcelle. So my question is:

Thanks in advance!
Katrina

abbycat1200 03-29-2011 08:34 AM

Nickel allergy food related

Yes, you can absolutely be reacting to the nickel that is in the food we eat. Foods high in nickel are potatoes, chocolate, nuts, seeds- many more. Start a food journal, research online for foods high in nickel. I get red puffy eyes as well as an itchy, flaky scalp. Symptoms come an go with food I eat. Can last a few days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by katweena11 (Post 277668)
So here's my story...

Thanks in advance!
Katrina