NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Avonex emotional SE? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/45756-avonex-emotional-se.html)

Rissa_TX 05-15-2008 11:54 AM

Avonex emotional SE?

Hi everyone,
I started Avonex on Monday and was very lucky to have few, if any, physical side effects in the day immediately following.
However, on the second day (Wednesday), I went on what I can only describe as an emotional roller-coaster. Like PMS multiplied by a million. I just didn't have control over my emotions at all - a client hung up on me and I burst into tears! Normally, I'd roll my eyes and get on with my day, but I shut my office door and cried for an hour! All day long, I was like this. After resting, I feel better today, but I'm wondering if this can be attributed to the Avonex? I know depression is one of the common side effects, but I'm not sure if that qualified as depression...
I'm a very even-keeled person normally, so this kinda' freaked me out...
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thank you all!

greta 05-15-2008 12:17 PM

Could it be that starting Avonex was pretty traumatic (ie, admitting that you have MS and that you have to treat it) and that's causing the emotions? I know I was all over the place after dx and after finding out I had to shoot up, and then every shot day. Maybe you're just releasing some feelings that you've been stuffing away until it was safe to do so. I have no clue - but it's an idea...:confused:

Rissa_TX 05-15-2008 12:34 PM

:eek:
Quote:

Originally Posted by greta (Post 279715)
Could it be that starting Avonex was pretty traumatic (ie, admitting that you have MS and that you have to treat it) and that's causing the emotions? I know I was all over the place after dx and after finding out I had to shoot up, and then every shot day. Maybe you're just releasing some feelings that you've been stuffing away until it was safe to do so. I have no clue - but it's an idea...:confused:

Thank you, Greta.
I've definitely considered that possibility as well. For me, it was just as hard to start the shots as it was to learn that I had MS in the first place, so that could be it. I just surprised and scared myself a little.

slskckjebw 05-15-2008 01:10 PM

I will be taking my 13th injection tomorrow. Oh the emotions.............I have been awful. I am generally a very level headed non emotional person myself. Now I can't listen to certain songs or watch certain movies. I even just start to cry for now reason. :(

I am not sure what it is. I was dx'd in February so I am sure I am probably still going through the emotions of a dx and the disruption it causes.

There is also my age and the hormone issues that can come with it. So, who knows. Avonex can cause depression. I have never had trouble with depression. But maybe that is what is going on. It is difficult to know.

I hate throwing other medications into the mix just to deal with the side effects of a med I am already taking. That makes me crazy! :eek:

The thing that helps me the most is making sure I get enough sleep. Not just rest but SLEEP.

I know I didn't help any but I can sure relate. :hug:

LA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rissa_TX (Post 279726)
:eek:

Thank you, Greta.
I've definitely considered that possibility as well. For me, it was just as hard to start the shots as it was to learn that I had MS in the first place, so that could be it. I just surprised and scared myself a little.

Rissa_TX 05-15-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slskckjebw (Post 279743)
I will be taking my 13th injection tomorrow. Oh the emotions.............I have been awful. I am generally a very level headed non emotional person myself. Now I can't listen to certain songs or watch certain movies. I even just start to cry for now reason. :(

I am not sure what it is. I was dx'd in February so I am sure I am probably still going through the emotions of a dx and the disruption it causes.

There is also my age and the hormone issues that can come with it. So, who knows. Avonex can cause depression. I have never had trouble with depression. But maybe that is what is going on. It is difficult to know.

I hate throwing other medications into the mix just to deal with the side effects of a med I am already taking. That makes me crazy! :eek:

The thing that helps me the most is making sure I get enough sleep. Not just rest but SLEEP.

I know I didn't help any but I can sure relate. :hug:

LA

This was VERY helpful, actually. :hug: I feel much better knowing that it isn't just me. I've requested Prozac from my doc... I have no problem masking the effects with another drug. I can't function like this!

slskckjebw 05-15-2008 02:08 PM

You are not alone! I had to have my Avonex injections cut in half because the side effects are more than I can take. I still have side effects on 1/2 dose.

The side effects on the lower dose are better. I know my doctor wants me on the full dose. I think she is going to keep me on 1/2 and work me slowly back up to the full amount.

I am just not a good medication taker. I deal with a huge amount of anxiety when it comes to taking new medications.

I will suffer a long time before going to the doctor. I know this is not a good thing. I had had problems in the past with panic attacks and OCD.

Having to take medications for MS has been a really BIG deal for me. I am already on 4 different prescription medications. All 4 have fatigue as a side effect. It makes me feel like a MESS.:(

La

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rissa_TX (Post 279755)
This was VERY helpful, actually. :hug: I feel much better knowing that it isn't just me. I've requested Prozac from my doc... I have no problem masking the effects with another drug. I can't function like this!

NurseNancy 05-15-2008 09:22 PM

hi rissa, what a pretty and different name you have.

depression is a SE of taking interferons.
it's wise of you to recognize it and to monitor it in yourself.
please keep your dr appraised of any con't sx's so he can monitor your condition.

i remember how shocked i was when i heard the dx of MS. and i was expecting it. i was very emotional for a few wks. that's also normal.

please keep us posted on how you are doing.

doydie 05-15-2008 11:24 PM

I remember my first injection even though it was about 11 years ago! My heart almost pounded itself out of my chest for several hours. I know it was just nerves. You almost have to go through the entire grieving process with this diagnosis and taking the drugs. You have had an extreme loss and you have to go through the whole process. Even though I am fine now, sometimes I have some very blue days. I'm sure most of the MS veterans here would say the same thing.

I had to go through it with the actual diagnosis and then all over again when I had to quit work and then all over again when I finally recieved that all ipmortant letter form SSD saying 'you are permantly disabled'. But you will find a new self, sometimes even like it better!

Involve your family in this, they are going through the same thing.