NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   I Started PT! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/46730-started-pt.html)

MSacorn 05-28-2008 01:54 PM

I Started PT!

Yes, I survived my first session. I learned alot about my ankle injury. I tore the ligament from the front of the ankle to the outside. It's a rare injury. And surgery to repair, is extreme, and usually heals the same as without. Good to know. That explains the constant feeling of shin splints.

I have tendonitis in the ankle, too. I need to ice it several times a day, so I can exercise. I've got some band stretches to do. I am encouraged to be given the go ahead to start walking. (Dad is happy) He just got the treadmill set up in the basement.

The therapist also wants to work on balance. Even more then mobility. My right side hyperextends, so I won't be that flexible.

I couldn't do 5 seconds on the bad foot. I was able to do 30sec fairly well with the right foot. It sure would be nice to have better balance, overall. I am starting with standing at the kitchen counter, sounds easy, but not for me.

I need to keep the brace on, not for stability, put to with periperception SP? The sense of where my foot is in the universe. That should return with time, although the MS has diminished mine somewhat.

I'll be going weekly for the next month. Yay! finally some good news, it's day 118.

:hug:

SallyC 05-28-2008 02:09 PM

I love good news, Beth!!!!

Keep up the good work..:hug:

Victor H 05-28-2008 02:29 PM

Congratulations on doing PT!

DM 05-28-2008 02:30 PM

Hi Beth! Glad to hear the PT is doing what it's supposed to do. Hope you continue to improve. Sometimes it's those little achievements, that really do mean alot! Keep up the great work.

**At least you listened to your Dr and went to PT; I have the script for PT, but haven't done anything w/it.*** Bad DM!!

greta 05-28-2008 03:43 PM

You sound just like me! The balance exercises are intended to strengthen all those little tiny muscles that we never knew existed. Strengthen them and they'll compensate for the torn ligament. I'm amazed at how much my balancing has improved over the last 3 weeks as the muscles in my legs get stronger.

Did you see my post about my visit with the ortho? He confirmed I'm doing great and that surgery isn't indicated at this time - wishing you the same!

Bannet 05-28-2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisymay (Post 288741)
Hi Beth! Glad to hear the PT is doing what it's supposed to do. Hope you continue to improve. Sometimes it's those little achievements, that really do mean alot! Keep up the great work.

**At least you listened to your Dr and went to PT; I have the script for PT, but haven't done anything w/it.*** Bad DM!!

Bad DM! *I do too but my insurance only covers 80% after $2500.00 deductable:eek: I know it would feel sooooo good but just can't afford it right now:(

MSacorn 05-28-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisymay (Post 288741)

DM
You bad princess. Now make that phone call. :(:mad:

Try it, you have nothing to lose and might get some good from it. I'll be checking on you.:wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by greta (Post 288772)
You sound just like me! The balance exercises are intended to strengthen all those little tiny muscles that we never knew existed. Strengthen them and they'll compensate for the torn ligament. I'm amazed at how much my balancing has improved over the last 3 weeks as the muscles in my legs get stronger.

Did you see my post about my visit with the ortho? He confirmed I'm doing great and that surgery isn't indicated at this time - wishing you the same!

Greta
I did read you post yesterday, and was very encouraged. Unfortunately I was feeling really crummy and I didn't respond (I think). I apologize. :o I feel like I'm following in your positive footsteps. Keep up the good work.

Snoopy 05-28-2008 07:52 PM

WooHoo! :hug:

Hang in with PT and you should see some improvements. I love bands, I got hooked on them when I went through PT for the ankle I broke.

AfterMyNap 05-28-2008 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSacorn (Post 288891)
Greta
I did read you post yesterday, and was very encouraged. Unfortunately I was feeling really crummy and I didn't respond (I think). I apologize. :o I feel like I'm following in your positive footsteps. Keep up the good work.

Good girl, Bappy, you'll never be a famous, glamorous ankle model like Greta if you don't do the work!:hug: