NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Medical Alert Bracelets (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/46779-medical-alert-bracelets.html)

mom23angels 05-29-2008 09:45 AM

Medical Alert Bracelets

When I see brochures for these bracelets at the doctors office, MS is one of the conditions they say you need a medical alert bracelet. I was wondering if any of you have one, how much should one spend, should I list my medications (there are a lot) on it, etc.

I am seriously thinking of getting one for both my son with Autism and myself but don't know how much to spend and what to put on it exactly. I know when I had my muscle spasms in school, the EMTs came to my class (everyone, including me thought I was having a stroke) and luckily I had all my meds with me and could speak.

I think I have been resisting this because it makes my MS more real, sounds kinda weird but makes me feel like I'm announcing to the whole world I have this. Not to mention, if I wear that to my internship they will know I have something.. *sigh*

Monique :confused:

weegot5kiz 05-29-2008 09:59 AM

my wife got me one i just hate wearing any jewelry so i shove it in my pocket, which kind of defeats the whole idea, as i have been told several times

AfterMyNap 05-29-2008 10:06 AM

It's just marketing, Monique. They say you "should" wear one, and they would love it if you would. They probably have one for hangnails too. Autism is a different story and I do think it's a good idea for your son, especially if he goes to school or out with friends.

I keep a card in my wallet with a list of my meds and a description of where I am with the MS so that if something happened, it would be found. But, in an emergency, standard stabilization would be no different for me as any other injured party.

My cell phone has a phonebook entry of I.C.E. (in case of emergency) with my brother's cell number. They would call him if I were incapacitated.

I have a "vial of life" in my refrigerator that lists my conditions and corresponding meds, you can get one of those at any drug store. It's basically just a regular Rx bottle with a label and medical rescue personnel are trained to look in the fridge to find it.

Beyond that, my life just goes on. You're a smart girl, you'll know what to do for yourself and your kids. ;)

Kitty 05-29-2008 11:11 AM

My Neurologist gave me a card to put in my wallet or purse. It says "I Have MS" in big, bold letters on one side and on the other I list whatever medications I am taking.

That's the only thing I have done although the info in the fridge sounds like a good idea.

Nevada Leftie 05-29-2008 05:34 PM

The idea of a Medical Alert bracelet is to let emergency folks know what illnesses you have.
They have the type that open up like a locket and inside is a folded piece of paper, like a book. On it you hand write your personal info, illnesses and medications.

To me it is worth the investment, if only for peace of mind. I would hate to imagine someone coming across me lying passed out somewhere and they would not have an inkling of who or what .....

Lots of folks have medic alert bracelets or necklaces and no one can read what is engraved on the back of them(some are just engraved). The only thing the curious might notice is the caduceus on it.

Noidy 05-29-2008 05:56 PM

The pharmacy sells them for about 9 dollars, and some you have to send out ot get engraved. I made my own at the "make your own dog tag" stand at Walmart. Got a red heart shaped one that has "I Have Multiple Sclerosis, See my Wallet for Info" and my medications on a sheet right beside my drivers license. I attached it to a charm bracelet.. made of heafty chain. Stands out like a sore thumb. :cool:

NurseNancy 05-29-2008 05:58 PM

i have a medic alert bracelet but i don't wear it. i like to wear too much REAL jewlery. i do belong to the medic alert program. i forget what the yrly fee is but it's not that much.

i keep a card in my wallet and on my fridge. emergency personnel can call the # on the card and get a list of an emergency contact, my meds, medical condition(s) etc. you have to remember to keep them updated as anything changes.

i feel like it's a good idea for me. i have a disc in my c-spine & the MS. so if i'm in an accident or something they'll have quick access to my medical info.
it also lists names/ph #'s of my drs.

tovaxin_lab_rat 05-29-2008 06:14 PM

I have a Medic Alert medallion with an 800 number on it b/c I have some allergies that are life threatening. It also says that I have MS. I got the medallion through a company that provides the service that medical/EMS providers can call b/c I have so many allergies that I cannot put them all on a medic alert tag!

If you have any type of walking problems or speech problems that might be mistaken for being inebriated or under the influence, it might be a good idea to carry something that says you have MS.

DM 05-29-2008 07:56 PM

My Son has a chain w/a tag on it stating that he is a kidney transplant, is on antirejection meds and the Univ's ph #. The Hosp had it made for him when he had his transplant.

gonnamakeit 05-29-2008 10:25 PM

The Medic Alert bracelet is widely recognized by medics and could be a life saver in an emergency. The cost is so cheap that I see no reason not to have one.

I keep mine in my wallet and it lists my allergies as well as MS.

gmi