NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Could this be "the hug"? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/46926-hug.html)

Shashi 05-31-2008 04:34 PM

Could this be "the hug"?

I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I had "the hug" back in 2006, when all of these problems first started snowballing on me. Off an on a few times over a month, it felt like a python squeezing my ribcage and was very uncomfortable.

Well, for the past six months off and on, I've had discomfort in my ribcage on my left side. At times, it feels like I'm lying on something hard when I lie on my side, and there's a feeling of pressure on that side.

Recently in the last few weeks, the discomfort is turning into pain. I can't sleep on my left side anymore because of the pain, and now lying on my right side is getting uncomfortable too (which is bad because I can't sleep on my back due to sleep apnea.) I've woken up several times feeling like an elephant has been dancing on my ribcage. I usually have to take a hot shower and some pain meds to get any relief. I also have pain in my ribs when I bend down and sometimes for no reason at all.

My PCP has run different tests and I just had a CT scan which was normal (I think. I haven't gotten the results yet, but I compared it to an old CT I had and nothing looked different.) I do have a borderline enlarged spleen, but my doctor doesn't think that's the cause of the pain.

I started thinking it might be muscle spasms this morning when I tried to turn over and it felt like I pulled a muscle in my left side. I took some baclofen, and the pain subsided.

Do you think this might be "the hug" since nothing else explains the pain?

Jan4you 05-31-2008 09:07 PM

Oh my dear Shashi, yes I know what you are going through. This has been my longest and most difficult symptom for over 12 years now.

I dont think a CAT scan will show much. A thoracic MRi for me didnt show anything either but then its hard to see lesions on the spine.

BUT there is a thing called, costochondritis which is an inflammation of the soft tissues/ligaments of the rib cage. It gets so bad it squeezes so very hard, SUDDENLY that I can not even breathe at times!!! AND then I cannot roll over in bed, nor get up as I am all locked up-spasticity now I think. Who knows...

I just FEEL for you, I do I do !!

Hugs.. but gently...patting the air not to hurt you

Jan

Friend2U 06-01-2008 02:38 PM

Have they checked your gallbladder. I ask that because I have had the hug, and I thought it was getting much worse here while back. It actually wasn't the hug getting worse, but the gallbladder. I had it removed... just a thought! I know what you are going through is very painful. I hope you find a solution for soon! :hug: