NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Twitches or Spasms (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/47214-twitches-spasms.html)

DreamPoet 06-04-2008 01:59 PM

Twitches or Spasms

I had surgery a little over 5 weeks ago cuz my scaphoid bone died and my body was trying to reject it. They had to remove three wrist bones and some damaged nerve, and attached the ligaments and stuff to the radius and ulna (arm bones). I've been in a cast for about 2 1/2 weeks. Lately, I've been having either twitches or spasms in my wrist that feel like electric shocks or small explosions, and hurt like crazy...enough to wake me up and almost bring me to tears. I especially get them when I start to relax it seems. More recently, I've started getting twitches in the rest of my body...those don't really hurt, but they're annoying. It seems I'm always dozing off and that's when I get them most...they wake me up. I should probably add that I have fibromyalgia also. I'm taking vicodin for the surgery pain still.

Is this the RSD, fibro, or should I be concerned it's something else?

Oh...and according to the nurses in recovery, I have sleep apnea, too.

ali12 06-04-2008 02:44 PM

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear that you are having spasms/twitches too. I have been having really bad spasms after an ingrown toenail removal on my leg affected by RSD - I used to have spasms in my toes before the toenail removal but nothing like I am getting now.

My dr says the spasms are a result of the RSD and the Dystonia (a movement disorder) that I have in my leg. I am currently on Baclofen, to try and get the spasms to stop but they wont. I have also tried Diazepam, Propranolol, and kenadrin to try and get them to calm down. Please talk to your dr and see if he can prescribe you something that may help.

If you ever need to chat - I am here. I hope you can understand what I am saying, if not please forgive me - I have been having a bad migraine for about 5 days now.

Alison
xxxx

DreamPoet 06-04-2008 03:00 PM

Thanks, Allison. I searched through the RSD posts to find info about the spasms and twitches, and saw the one about what you've gone through...I'm sorry yours are so bad. You're so young to have to deal with this stuff!

At first I thought the vicodin might be causing them cuz I've been on it for a few weeks...but I couldn't find anything online saying it could cause them. Then I started wondering about the RSD, Fibro, and Sleep Apnea.

dreambeliever128 06-04-2008 04:27 PM

Hi Dreampoet,

I have RSD, Fibro and sleep apnea. My fingers spasm up a lot of times when I hold a fork or bending my arm up. I assume it's from the RSD.

As far as the sleep apnea, I still can't use my oxygen, I can't stand the mask nor the tubes in my nose.

My body jerks and twitches at night. Bill use to say I would wake him up or keep him awake. I am having so much trouble sleeping it's driving me nuts. I don't know if it's from the apnea or the RSD.

As Ali says, ask for some meds to try and calm down the spasms.

Hope you start feeling better soon.
Ada

DreamPoet 06-04-2008 04:35 PM

Hi Ada.

It's good to know someone else has all those things, too, but I'm sorry you do at the same time. I told my husband I'm falling apart.

Apparently, in recovery after surgery I kept setting off an alarm cuz I would stop breathing. They had to keep shaking me and talking to me telling me to breathe. When I woke up they told me I had sleep apnea really bad and needed to be on a cpap...I'm just afraid I wouldn't use it if I had it.

debbiehub 06-05-2008 09:29 PM

Spasms

The Baclofen worked well for my twitches under my eye- Maybe it is worth a try!

Debbie