NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Heat Affecting Mood? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/47611-heat-affecting-mood.html)

ckepi 06-10-2008 09:45 AM

Heat Affecting Mood?

I was wondering those of you with heat sensitivity do you find that when the temp goes up it messes with you disposition.

I get very easily angered and/or upset when I'm stuck in the heat.

I know alot of people with out MS can be affected by the heat in this way but it seems to be very severe in my case.

I have zero tolerence, compassion, patience in the heat. My mood goes sour very quickly and quite severly when I get too hot.

I was just wondering if any one else had severe mood changes from the heat.

Its like a switch is flipped and no matter how good a mood I'm in to start I go sour but if I can get cooled down my mood will swing back to normal.

Is it just me ?

beautytransforming 06-10-2008 10:21 AM

Carp, I am like that all the time. I DO live in Mississippi where it is hot all the time :) I have gotten better with zoloft.

I can see where the heat could affect you that way though. I feel miserable in the heat, and just want to be left alone, so I become short(er) as well.

tkrik 06-10-2008 10:26 AM

*Raising hand* It is not just you at all. I have experienced this as well. When I get overheated, I get grumpy. This is so foreign to me and so not who I am that it upsets me thus making the irritability worse.

I really try to keep cool, going from a/c to a/c. It's sad how I can go from Ms. Happy, girls lets going shopping, have fun, etc. kind of person to a grump just from walking from my door to my car (maybe 50 ft or so). I will be irritable until the car itself cools down. Then I'm happy again.

soxmom 06-10-2008 10:30 AM

YUP......heat does make me pretty much lame...

Its nice to see you Carrie..........just wanted to say

:Wave-Hello:

:hug:

sassy 06-10-2008 12:55 PM

I hate the heat!

When I get overheated I can't stand myself and I imagine the others around me feel the same way.

Don't mess with me when I'm overheated, I may be a wet noodle physically but if I don't cry I will probably kill you with my words.

Grrrr....

lady_express_44 06-10-2008 01:13 PM

Heat causes symptoms for me, which can make me irritable . . . but more importantly, it the heat tires me out. When I am tired, I am grumpy. :mad:

Cherie

Foggy Brain 06-10-2008 01:24 PM

I know how everyone feels as I become a grump when overheated as well! :mad: One thing I have learned from MS boards is to take ibuprofen (or equivalent) prior to going out in the heat to help maintain core body temperature, like you are treating a fever. I have tried this and it seems to work -- but you know how everyone is different.;)

tkrik 06-10-2008 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foggy Brain (Post 297606)
I know how everyone feels as I become a grump when overheated as well! :mad: One thing I have learned from MS boards is to take ibuprofen (or equivalent) prior to going out in the heat to help maintain core body temperature, like you are treating a fever. I have tried this and it seems to work -- but you know how everyone is different.;)

I'll have to try that. Thanks for the suggestion. *going to Advil bottle now as DD18 and I have to go out in 1/2 hour*

Of course the Advil will help with this sinus infection too and DDs will be happy as I won't be so blah! LOL.

karousel 06-10-2008 01:52 PM

Yep, I'm a BIG B in the heat. My poor DH and DD. Even when it's humid out I am like this -- even if I'm in the air conditioning but can still feel the humidity.

Blessings2You 06-10-2008 01:53 PM

Heat affects everything in my life, and everything affects my mood, so yes.

When the temperature goes over 80, I slip into "Bite Me" mode. Not proud of myself. :(