NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Excess saliva (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/47652-excess-saliva.html)

Tom5C 06-10-2008 06:42 PM

Excess saliva

Can anyone suggest a remedy for excess saliva?

EmptyNest68 06-11-2008 12:10 PM

This doesn't work at night, of course..but I chew Extra peppermint (or Polar Ice) gum frequently throughout the day. It helps with the saliva & any nausea I experience from my medication.

watsonsh 06-11-2008 12:19 PM

You might also want to post in the dental forum, maybe Byranna might have a suggestion.

lou_lou 06-11-2008 12:29 PM

re: PD & swallowing~

dear Tom5c,
the reason you have extra saliva - is because if you have PD, your version of PD has caused you to not swallow as fast, I personally would call my neurologist for suggestions -

here is some info for you -
Speech and Swallowing Therapy

Speech & Communication Problems

in Parkinson's Disease

Although a disturbance in speech (also known as dysarthria) is not always associated with Parkinson's disease, it is sometimes impaired in mid-to late stages of the disease and in some persons, can pose a significant handicap. The speech disorder is characterized by a soft voice, with low volume and breathy, harsh voice quality. There may be reduced stress and intonation, making the speech sound 'monotonous' in tone. Articulation is usually less precise and often sounds rushed, with short but rapid utterances. Some persons complain that they have a problem with 'fluency' or stuttering, especially at the beginning of a sentence. Along with the speech disturbance, there may be a reduction in facial expression which adds to the perception of 'monotonous speech'. These symptoms may impair communication with friends, family, and colleagues at work.

skipping - down the page -

Swallowing Problems in Parkinson's Disease

Although some people with Parkinson's disease will continue to eat normally throughout the course of the disease, many will develop difficulty chewing or swallowing. Early symptoms of difficulty in swallowing (also called "dysphagia") are of food sticking in the throat or of liquids "going the wrong way". For some, chewing may become more difficult or there may be difficulty in getting the swallow "started." Food may stick in the throat and esophagus. Later, the swallowing problem may become so severe that a diet change is required.

Some suggestions that have helped people with Parkinson's disease eat better include:

and once again we are skipping down the page - :)

Excess saliva is another common problem in Parkinson's disease. In most cases, the problem is not one of having too much saliva, but rather of not swallowing often enough. If the automatic reflex that causes us to swallow our saliva once every minute or two is not operational, saliva builds up in the mouth until it leaks out and the person notices drooling. This can be very embarrassing, of course. Once the problem is brought to the attention of the individual with Parkinson's disease, it can sometimes be alleviated by developing a habit of consciously swallowing every few minutes. Swallowing can be further stimulated by carrying a bottle of water and taking a sip every few minutes. If that does not help, a speech-language pathologist may recommend a more structured therapy program. Occasionally, botox injection to the salivary glands will reduce the saliva excreted by these glands for a few months.

http://web.ucsf.edu/brain/pdcenter/speechmod7.htm

jcitron 06-13-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyNest68 (Post 298468)
This doesn't work at night, of course..but I chew Extra peppermint (or Polar Ice) gum frequently throughout the day. It helps with the saliva & any nausea I experience from my medication.

I do exactly the same thing for the same reason.

John

chasmo 06-13-2008 01:22 PM

the excess is indeed caused by a lack of swallowing, there is a drug that your MDS can give you to dry up your mouth. As empty nest suggested, an much easier way iis to chew gum.
For all us men, a beard is an easy way to control it, just remember to wipe it with a bandanna occasionally!!

Charlie