NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Home & Garden Talk (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/)
-   -   Sunflowers (https://www.neurotalk.org/home-and-garden-talk/47686-sunflowers.html)

Bobbi 06-11-2008 04:19 AM

Sunflowers

Mine are roughly 15-feet tall. Prob.: Staking them. Are there stakes as tall?

I am rather proud of them, and I don't want them to snap or break.

braingonebad 06-11-2008 06:56 AM

I haven't seen stakes that tall - and if there were, how in the devil would you transport them home?

:confused:

:p

I normally don't use a stake as high as my larger plants though - certainly not as high as my sunflowers. Not that mine ever got that big. Congrats on that BTW. How about a pic?

Mine ot about 10 -12 ft, and I tied them to the fence.

Just find the sturdiest, tallest stake you can - check the garden centers - and try that. It should do.

karousel 06-11-2008 07:04 AM

Wow those are some tall sunflowers! Never had mine get that big!!!!

I've never staked my sunflowers but I have had them fall over, snap and break (they were quite large at that point). Maybe this year as they get bigger, I'll put some sticks to help support them, at least at the base, until they are strong enough.

Two years ago my DD took sunflowers from her hamster's food and planted them. Boy did we have beautiful sunflowers that year!! :D We had some interesting corn too! :eek:

Bobbi 06-11-2008 07:05 AM

I'll get some pics today.

I lost one of the sunflower plants last week. After that, a friend used a bunch of stakes, stacked on top of one another and duct tape, to prevent more from breaking. But, now, with them so tall, and still growing, that won't work any longer. The tallest ones are also achored to the fence around my garden.

Winds here were 30 mph. yesterday. Thank goodness, no more snapped.

I think, they need to stop growing now. They are plenty tall.

Bobbi 06-11-2008 07:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are three photos... taken this afternoon.

Curious 06-11-2008 08:20 PM

they are HUGE bobbi! :D

i have seen people grow them and string lines going across their yards. i don't think that would work.

what can you find close to that tall???

karousel 06-11-2008 08:22 PM

Wow! What gorgeous sunflowers!!

Corkybird 06-11-2008 08:27 PM

Those are INDEED some mammoth sunflowers !! :eek:

I got several diff. types of seeds this spring, mixed them all together (some only get 3ft, some up to 10 it says on pkg) and planted a 20 ft. row along the side of our veggie garden. I also have dahlia and zinnia growing in that same area. Would we ever impress the neighbors when they could see the flowers above the 6ft privacy fence!!! LOL We basically planted them not only for the beauty, but for the birds as well. HOPEFULLY we'll have some left to actually get full heads on them before birdy friends attack them. LOL

Bobbi 06-11-2008 09:09 PM

A "bird-friendly" means to deter birdies from pecking before the flowers are actually ready?

Cut thin strips of plastic and tie them around the area. Birds don't like movement. Even a light breeze will cause the plastic strips to waft.

I had a major bird prob. last Summer. The plastic strips did the trick.

I've no idea how the heck the flowers got so tall. They were supposed to grow 6' to 8'. I planted them indoors and transferred outside in March. (Last year, I was late in planting and wanted an earlier start.). I think, I've got 48 growing.

Bobbi 06-12-2008 04:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm doing this backward; these pics are the earlier growth stages of the sunflowers (same ones).

I think I'm gonna miss them when the season's over. It'll look bare.