NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Jim's new urologist (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/47736-jims-urologist.html)

SandyC 06-11-2008 06:44 PM

Jim's new urologist

We met the wonderful Dr David Sobel today. He was very professional and friendly. He took one look at the 2 inch binder I presented him and said "Someone has done some organizing." lol

Anyway, here's the deal. He is going to Reno tonight to give a speech at a hospital out there. He returns on Friday and will get started with the binder and xray cd's. In the meantime we will await the test results of Jim's specimen that we gave today. We should hear from that on Friday. Did I mention that this doctor is also a lawyer. He was impressed that we did our research on him.

He said he cannot say whether the VA should or shouldn't have done the illeo conduit. However, he did say Jim is lucky to have his kidneys and regardless of whether there was another type of surgery that could have been done, drastic measures were needed based on the OR report he read while we were there. He said Jim's case is a complicated one. :rolleyes::p You think?

About the chronic UTI's. He feels that he may need to send Jim to an infectious disease doctor to see if they can investigate the bacteria Jim is getting and why. He asked if this was OK with us and we all agreed. He said they are versed in all things bacteria and the causes, and can give great insight as to where to go from here.

He does not want to do a long term antibiotic therapy unless it's the last resort. He mentioned that sometimes too many antibiotics can create a fungal bacteria. :eek: We didn't know that! He mentioned trying to flush Jim's bladder with antibiotics and other ideas as alternatives.

Nothing is written in stone until he reads all of Jim's records and speaks to infectious disease. Until then we wait for the results of todays test and call him on Friday afternoon.

I about lost myself when Dr Sobel stood up and said exactly this: "It was a pleasure to meet both of you. This is a difficult case because we have to find which bacteria is colonized and which ones need treatment. Not to mention what is ms related and what is not. We will figure this out."

Then he ended the conversation by looking at Jim and saying: "Couldn't you have just come in with a simple erectile dysfunction?" :ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:

sassy 06-11-2008 06:55 PM

OMG, too funny!

He sounds like a keeper tho. And the infectious disease doctor hopefully will be a keeper also.

I'm thinking Jim may finally be on the way to answers and getting better real soon.

SandyC 06-11-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassy (Post 298802)
OMG, too funny!

He sounds like a keeper tho. And the infectious disease doctor hopefully will be a keeper also.

I'm thinking Jim may finally be on the way to answers and getting better real soon.

We think he may be a keeper too Sassy. No one ever mentioned infectious disease to us before. It all sounds so simple now when we think about it. Jim's bladder is normal and fine. Why do these bacteria's keep popping up? Infectious disease seems like the obvious place to start doesn't it?

We really liked this doctor and I am excited for Jim. He seems to know about ms too. He was telling us about bladders in people with ms and so on. Of course we already knew this but we were good listeners. :D

AfterMyNap 06-11-2008 07:02 PM

Sounds like my kind of wee wee doctor... uh, except the ED part.

Bannet 06-11-2008 07:03 PM

I agree. The doctor sounds wonderful. I pray that they can get to the bottom of Jim's problem and he can start feeling better.

As always my prayers and good thoughts are with you.

tkrik 06-11-2008 07:12 PM

Thanks for the update. I am glad you both really like this dr.

Hopefully, all will get straightened out with both the urologist and the infectious disease doctor working together as a team.

Chris 06-11-2008 07:43 PM

I'm thrilled for you and Jim, Sandy. It sounds like it was a very productive visit.:)

karousel 06-11-2008 08:07 PM

The doctor does sound great - and with a sense of humor too!!

Vonn07 06-11-2008 08:20 PM

sounds great, Sandy & Jim ..

laughter is good medicine ... E.D. huh?? he now has a REAL challenge!!

weegot5kiz 06-11-2008 08:31 PM

sounds like ya found the doc you been searching for sandy congrats, i am really happy for Jim, hopefully this one can solve and fix things