NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Epidural question (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/47878-epidural-question.html)

rickso12 06-13-2008 02:35 PM

Epidural question

I am going for a shot , they told me I had a minor infringment on the L5 nerve--wow for minor this thing has put my life into a tailspin- so I am happy I found this site filled with wonderful people that are suffering like myself
Are these shots painfull? they won't put you out-- so i am wondering what I am in for-- they are just going up as far as the L4 and stop

Thank you as always

Rick

soxmom 06-13-2008 02:40 PM

I had one. It was easy peasy. It just didnt work for me.

Good luck:)

rfei57 06-13-2008 03:47 PM

Epidural

I have had three epidural at L-5 and the first two I felt a lot of presure in the hip area and the third one they hit a nerve two times and that hurt alot but thay said that I have alot of norrowing and it was getting wrose.

Rose

Bobbi 06-13-2008 03:53 PM

Rick,

I'd call the doc's office that is either doing or arranging the ESI and ask:
  • whether you'll be consciously-sedated (meaning you'll be responsive to what the doc needs, but will most likely will not remember it);
  • whether fluoroscope or C-Arm (live guided x-ray) will be used.

If the answer to the second question is no, there is no way anyone would be giving me an epidural. That's aiming blindly and foolish for any doc to do in this day and age. It increases the risks for mishaps and for probs.

You might feel a temp. increase in symptoms following but that should resolve within a few to several days.

Good luck :).

And, please, don't allow anyone to use you as a "dart" board. Live x-ray is key.

tamiloo 06-13-2008 09:05 PM

Rick, I agree with Bobbi...make sure they aren't going in blind. I had the live guided x-ray. Also, they gave me something to make me loopy through an IV. It was a breeze....it felt weird but no big deal.

Call you doc and get the info Bobbi suggested...hope it goes well!:hug:

lookingup58 06-16-2008 12:39 PM

Rick
I just had 2 about 2 months ago. The second one was about 10 days after the first. It has help my stenosis pain and back related issues.
I would also recommend under fluroscope. (sp?). I have had them both ways but would only do it with fluro.
I had several a few years ago. One or 2 helped then. They are said to last around 3 months.
I also think in depends if they put the shot in the place where you are having the most trouble.
This one has helped me and enabled me to walk longer and more often without griping pain.
I undersatand one should only have them pnly 3 times a year.
Hope this helps.
Let us now how you do.
lookingup58

rickso12 06-18-2008 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxmom (Post 300443)
I had one. It was easy peasy. It just didnt work for me.

Good luck:)

I just had it it was easy

Thanks

rickso12 06-18-2008 08:55 PM

Thank god it's over ,the anticapation was worse than the needle, when he finished I asked him , really--thats all just a little pinch,i did,t feel any pressure-
so i retired 6 months ago, after two months of boredom , I take a job, one of the techs asks me ,Hi rick can you give me a hand with these 200Lb tanks, just help me push them---Done L4-L5--buldged-- I just the guy upstairs gives me a pass and repairs me b/4 the shot wheres off

Charlee 06-29-2008 12:19 PM

Epidural

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickso12 (Post 300434)
I am going for a shot , they told me I had a minor infringment on the L5 nerve--wow for minor this thing has put my life into a tailspin- so I am happy I found this site filled with wonderful people that are suffering like myself
Are these shots painfull? they won't put you out-- so i am wondering what I am in for-- they are just going up as far as the L4 and stop

Thank you as always

Rick

Hi I have had several and they deadened the are first and had a little sting. When they did the epidural I felt a little pressure. Felt less pain the having I V to be put out..Charlee