NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Survivors of Suicide (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/)
-   -   how do I know and how do I help (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/47920-help.html)

Aarcyn 06-14-2008 10:57 AM

how do I know and how do I help

NT has lots of threads for lots of people. PM's help keep things private. I find I respond to people that appear to be in pain but my illness is both physical and mental pain. Depression is one of the symptoms.

I know, I have been diagnosed as acutely depressed. I now take a depressant so that the doctors will be happy and leave me alone about my depression. (don't tell them, it will be like disturbing an ant hill or bee hive.)

I am not suicidal, just amazingly sad. But this is not about me.

I received a PM that has raised red flags for me. I may be over reacting, I just do not know.

Can someone help me to ask the right questions? I know I do not have the power to really do anything. I am not a professional. I do not want to make it worse, I want to ask so that I now how to be compassionate.

Curious 06-14-2008 11:15 AM

it's tough call.

would you feel comfortable fw'ing to a mod or admin?

without knowing what is in the pm, it makes it hard to know how to reply.

:hug:

Bannet 06-14-2008 11:44 AM

Aarcyn. I wish I could help but not knowing what you are up against kinda leaves me hangin. I'm not a professional either and sometimes dealing with this kind of issue is touchy. I hope someone else comes around and gives you advice:hug:

KathyM 06-14-2008 12:15 PM

(((Aarcyn)))

From where I'm sitting, you do a fabulous job. You give your heart, and that's worth more than gold. Try not to let it effect you too deeply - you have worthy shoulders. Some things in life are just meant to be. It's nice to know there are some strong shoulders out there. :hug:

Doody 06-14-2008 02:01 PM

((Aarcyn)) It is a tough call. We can't give professional advice. Shoulders to lean on, yes. Some kind of hope as well. It's difficult when we're dealing with our own depression. :hug: Whoever it is needs to talk it out with friends and professionals alike. There are some wonderful therapists out there and when you find one, you are a very lucky person.

who moi 06-14-2008 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aarcyn (Post 301106)
NT has lots of threads for lots of people. PM's help keep things private. I find I respond to people that appear to be in pain but my illness is both physical and mental pain. Depression is one of the symptoms.

I know, I have been diagnosed as acutely depressed. I now take a depressant so that the doctors will be happy and leave me alone about my depression. (don't tell them, it will be like disturbing an ant hill or bee hive.)

I am not suicidal, just amazingly sad. But this is not about me.

I received a PM that has raised red flags for me. I may be over reacting, I just do not know.

Can someone help me to ask the right questions? I know I do not have the power to really do anything. I am not a professional. I do not want to make it worse, I want to ask so that I now how to be compassionate.

I am with everyone, I think you are doing the best you can (based on what you've revealed)

((((hugs))))