NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Trigeminal Neuralgia (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/)
-   -   Summer cold and Tn (https://www.neurotalk.org/trigeminal-neuralgia/48000-summer-cold-tn.html)

dlcottage 06-15-2008 11:05 PM

Summer cold and Tn

I have a summer cold, now for about a week and i have noticed my TN doing all kinds of flair ups . what connection is a cold to Tn ? . Has this happened to any one else and what did u do for it ? Im on lyrica thought about maybe increasing but i hate to do that makes me stupid and tired .. But advill and tylonel just not cutting it . .Been thinking of calling Dr for a Zpack for cold or something.
Thanks dl

EE03 06-16-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlcottage (Post 302153)
I have a summer cold, now for about a week and i have noticed my TN doing all kinds of flair ups . what connection is a cold to Tn ? . Has this happened to any one else and what did u do for it ? Im on lyrica thought about maybe increasing but i hate to do that makes me stupid and tired .. But advill and tylonel just not cutting it . .Been thinking of calling Dr for a Zpack for cold or something.
Thanks dl

In my experience, anything which affects the area served by the T nerve is fair game for aggravating it. Each time I get a sinus infection, cold, or flu it wreaks havoc with my TN. Also, stress does me in too. I can't give you a scientific explanation for the cold stuff - just that it happens and others with the condition report the same things. The stress makes sense to me - arteries or veins compressing the nerve, increase in blood pressure results in more pounding on the nerve, leading to more damage. Anyway, I can't recommend anything to take. Maybe you should see your doctor to see if antibiotics would do you any good. Take care, Ellena

dlcottage 06-16-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EE03 (Post 302444)
In my experience, anything which affects the area served by the T nerve is fair game for aggravating it. Each time I get a sinus infection, cold, or flu it wreaks havoc with my TN. Also, stress does me in too. I can't give you a scientific explanation for the cold stuff - just that it happens and others with the condition report the same things. The stress makes sense to me - arteries or veins compressing the nerve, increase in blood pressure results in more pounding on the nerve, leading to more damage. Anyway, I can't recommend anything to take. Maybe you should see your doctor to see if antibiotics would do you any good. Take care, Ellena

Thanks for your reply !! For a while my Tn has been managable always in pain never pain free ,but tolerable on the lyrica .since i have this cold just seemed to flair up alot more and more pain than usual

Burntmarshmallow 06-17-2008 02:49 PM

I second just about everything Ellena Shared with you. Shes a smart one :) and I cant add much of anything to what she said.
Hope the cold tampers off and the flare ups quiet down for you.
:hug: