NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Thumbs up for Mucuna Pruriens (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/48015-thumbs-mucuna-pruriens.html)

smithclayriley 06-16-2008 09:13 AM

Thumbs up for Mucuna Pruriens

I agree whole heartily with Max, Rick and Fiona (I hope that I have not missed anyone who has communicated about this topic, if so, I apologize ahead) that Mucuna, is for me, a far better choice than Sinemet/L-dopa. In fact there is no comparison now that I am on the right kind of Mucuna, a powder called Zandopa (natural herb) ordered from India.

I have been able to reduce my Sinemet RR totally (500 mgs daily) and two Sinemet CR 100/25 for a total of 700 mgs in two months before I started Mucuna. I was still having side effects from the remaining 800 mgs that I am still taking. And yes it has not been easy.

I am slowly reducing my Sinemet CR by 1/2 a 100/25 tablet and adding a 1/4 tsp. of Mucuna three times a day. I am changing this ratio every week. I am following Max19BC plan. Max, if you are inundated with emails.......sorry man!

Mucuna has helped tremendously in reducing the side effects from the Sinemet CR that I am still taking. I feel better and it works for me. It is the tool I need to get off Sinemet dopamine, which is my goal.

Fiona 06-16-2008 04:24 PM

Yeah, me too. And I havenīt experimented with the Zandopa yet, just the mucuna from the Vitamin Shoppe. But what a thrill to email my doctor to say, uh, you know those 6 Sinemets I used to take every day? Well, I`m not really taking those now...SEND!!!!! What a feeling.

smithclayriley 06-16-2008 05:40 PM

Fiona, you crack me up. I'm not even going to bother telling mine, he would probably gong my head to see if it had a reflex instead of my knees.

Bonnie

Fiona 06-18-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithclayriley (Post 302644)
Fiona, you crack me up. I'm not even going to bother telling mine, he would probably gong my head to see if it had a reflex instead of my knees.

Bonnie

:D That's hilarious, Bonnie. Atta girl!

kk13 06-18-2008 05:09 PM

Mucuna? Really?

Hi, again.

Glad to hear all the positive news about your mucuna experiences. I've tried to start, but for numerous reasons, have put it off temporarily.

My question : Has anyone had any negative response or experience with mucuna? Has anyone even heard of anyone having a negative experience?

I guess I've just been a little "chicken" to jump into the experiment, and am looking for someone to push me in! I'm looking forward to your response.

In the meantime, I'm very happy that both of you are having such great results. It gives me hope.

smithclayriley 06-18-2008 06:11 PM

KK13, if you send me your email address to smithclayriley4@yahoo.ca I can forward the info I have on it and the dosing schedule that I follow. I have zip side effects from the Mucuna and hardly any dystonia from the Sinemet CR that I still am taking. Optimistically I could be off Sinemet (two CR 100/25 4 times a day) in a couple of months. I am already down to 3 and 1/2 CR's three times a day. I am amazed how well I am doing but I had no choice, Sinemet/L-dopa was killing me.

I do take L-Tyrosine (2 x 500mgs) Creatine, Glutamine and liquid B12 with Methylcobalamin mixed in Gatorade at 2100 with one 3 mg of Melatonin to help me sleep. This was how I started reducing by eliminating my 2100 hr or 9pm meds.

reverett123 06-18-2008 09:48 PM

I won't say these are negatives so much as cautions. I think it is safer than Sinemet at a minimum.
1) I think the raw powder is best because no one has messed with it. Zandopa is suspect.
2) The studies talk of dosages as high as 30 g and I myself have gone as high as 50 g. At present I am using just 5 g! It seems to be enough.
3) I have integrated it into my other meds. I still take Sinemet CR and Requip at the same dosages, but I get better results. However, I take the mucuna at supper because it seems to interfere with my meds if I take it in the mornng.
4) Because raw beans are not good for you, I toast it in the oven.

It is a valuable tool. I just have to learn how to use it.
-Rick

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk13 (Post 304210)
Hi, again.

Glad to hear all the positive news about your mucuna experiences. I've tried to start, but for numerous reasons, have put it off temporarily.

My question : Has anyone had any negative response or experience with mucuna? Has anyone even heard of anyone having a negative experience?

I guess I've just been a little "chicken" to jump into the experiment, and am looking for someone to push me in! I'm looking forward to your response.

In the meantime, I'm very happy that both of you are having such great results. It gives me hope.

smithclayriley 06-19-2008 03:09 AM

Rick, Zandopa is powder but definitely not black. I was wondering why it is suspect?

smithclayriley 06-19-2008 10:59 AM

Fiona and Rick, I was wondering if either of you could clarify the type of
Mucuna that you are taking. I believe you said it was a powder,what form of powder? Does it come in seed form and why do you bake it for 5 minutes? Why is mine Hp-200 and Fiona says hers is HP-400?

Confused.

reverett123 06-19-2008 06:02 PM

I will answer but you might search back through this subject, too. There has been quite a lot of discussion. As to the powder, I use an organic seed powder by Banyan Botanicals. Google it and you will find several sources. As to why I bake it, raw beans contain a toxin to discourage creatures from eating them. Kidney beans in particular can sicken. That's why people soak them overnight before cooking. I toast the powder before use in hopes of breaking down the toxin. I don't know if it works or not, but I have had no more problems with cramping. Finally, the "HP-200" is just a name, like a brand name. I don't know for sure but the HP-400 may be a typo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithclayriley (Post 304755)
Fiona and Rick, I was wondering if either of you could clarify the type of
Mucuna that you are taking. I believe you said it was a powder,what form of powder? Does it come in seed form and why do you bake it for 5 minutes? Why is mine Hp-200 and Fiona says hers is HP-400?

Confused.