NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   food for thought why do we over do it (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/48214-food.html)

weegot5kiz 06-19-2008 12:26 AM

food for thought why do we over do it

A serious subject matter has awaken here, why do I over do it. Ok so i over do it,

my wife and kids say pace yourself so you are not burned out next day. problem is when i pace myself i am out of it next day anyway.

so why not over do it get a few extra things done and feel good mentally, because i actually finished something or 3

would like to here your take on this, i mean in my eyes it makes sense i will be tired next day anyway so why not over do it and get my mental juju flowing in positive direction, because i got more done

suzyqz_2007 06-19-2008 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weegot5kiz (Post 304528)
A serious subject matter has awaken here, why do I over do it. Ok so i over do it,

my wife and kids say pace yourself so you are not burned out next day. problem is when i pace myself i am out of it next day anyway.

so why not over do it get a few extra things done and feel good mentally, because i actually finished something or 3

would like to here your take on this, i mean in my eyes it makes sense i will be tired next day anyway so why not over do it and get my mental juju flowing in positive direction, because i got more done

I'm the same way. I get sudden bursts of energy and I feel pretty darn good so I jump in with both feet knowing full well I'll pay for it later. Like you said, gonna be wore out next day anyway, so I take advantage of the feel good, full of energy moments.

I can't remember the last time I went the entire day feeling great. :(

Right now I have zero energy and it's time for bed....hope you have a good night!

:hug:

Friend2U 06-19-2008 12:54 AM

I know what you mean. When you have a good day, it's hard not to want to get things accomplished. I understand that comletely!:)

Blessings2You 06-19-2008 05:35 AM

I am firmly undecided about this. :D

Some days I figure, I'll get everything done I can while I have an iota of energy, push as hard as I can, and if I pay, I pay.

Other days, I think, Why shove myself into an exacerbation or even a pseudo to dust furniture that's just going to get dusty again anyway.

The reason that I sometimes overdo is that even now I still "forget" that I'm not the one I useta was.

sassy 06-19-2008 06:04 AM

We do that because we don't know any other way! We see things that need doing and if we have the energy to do them even tho we know we will pay we do it. Simple? Not really but that is the way I am.

And ask for help?? Heaven forbid, they might find out we have MS!! And are weaklings.:rolleyes:

Frank, I will be doing way too much today, getting ready to go camping tomorrow. But it will be worth it in the long run.

Kitty 06-19-2008 06:07 AM

I agree with B2Y. Some days I'm in the frame of mind of "OK, I know I cannot do everything so I'll just do a little" and some days I'm a little more defiant!! "This MS isn't gonna tell me what I CAN and CANNOT do....I'll do whatever I darn well please." And then I pay. Sometimes for several days.

It's funny...cause I know I'll have repercussions. I guess some days I just don't care. :Dunno:

Bannet 06-19-2008 06:19 AM

Frank I think it is just human nature that we push our selves sometimes over the limit.

In my house unfortunately If I don't do it, it doesn't normally get done.

I went to look up AMN's quote but she took it off her signature but I pretty much live by it. It say something like:

"For every day I want to play, I take a day to pay"

Jodylee 06-19-2008 06:53 AM

Frank, I agree with you and everyone else :). I stayed out way too late last night, 9 pm, LOL. I was mentally and physically exhausted but I did not want to let people (my son, his girlfriend, and her crazy mother) to think I was somehow 'less than normal' by saying I had to go home. :( Definitely my problem not theirs. Today I feel like a big pile of aching carp and it's my own stupid fault :). And...I'm sure I won't learn from my mistake :D. I also had my Ty infusion and went out to lunch with a friend and did l all of the driving yesterday. I think we just want to pretend we can do all of the things we used to do in our 'before' pictures, if ya know what I mean. :)

Snoopy 06-19-2008 07:42 AM

I agree with Sassy.

Even though I have had MS a long time I still overdo it.

It's easy to do and I know I will overdo before I actually do overdo - confused yet? :p

MS or not - I want to live life not just watch it pass me by.

DM 06-19-2008 07:53 AM

Amen to what you all said. I do the very same thing, Frank!!

My brain tells me to pace myself, but my heart still thinks I can go all day just like I used to. I remember complaining about the "old" me, but you know what?? The old me wasnt' so bad.

I did my hardwood floors Monday and I'm still paying for it.

I guess if we were all "normal", we wouldn't have met here at NT.

:grouphug: