NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Any Remedy For Hand/Feet Swelling From Meds? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/48381-remedy-hand-feet-swelling-meds.html)

Kitty 06-20-2008 06:17 PM

Any Remedy For Hand/Feet Swelling From Meds?

I take Neurontin and Baclofen. I'm supposed to take it 3X daily. I usually only take it twice because of the swelling it causes. My hands - especially my fingers - and my feet. My ankles don't swell - it just looks like the tops of my feet. It's not too bad but it's enough for me to notice.

This just sux....seems like everything we take either makes you gain weight, causes swelling or otherwise zombifies you so that you're useless most of the day.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the swelling? I'm drinking tons of water. I feel like that girl who swells up and turns into a blueberry on Willy Wonka!! :eek:

Victor H 06-20-2008 07:02 PM

Kelly,

If you find a solution, let me know!

My left ankle is a little swollen.:o

-Vic

tkrik 06-20-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herekitty1960 (Post 305916)
I take Neurontin and Baclofen. I'm supposed to take it 3X daily. I usually only take it twice because of the swelling it causes. My hands - especially my fingers - and my feet. My ankles don't swell - it just looks like the tops of my feet. It's not too bad but it's enough for me to notice.

This just sux....seems like everything we take either makes you gain weight, causes swelling or otherwise zombifies you so that you're useless most of the day.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the swelling? I'm drinking tons of water. I feel like that girl who swells up and turns into a blueberry on Willy Wonka!! :eek:

When I 1st started taking Neurontin that happened to me but it was my legs as well. I got in to the habit of drink at least 1 cup of tea or green tea. It really helped me. Being sedentary doesn't help either and it is so hot out that walking outside is near impossible. The heat alone can make the legs swell.

I don't know how long this has been going on for you. But you can certainly give the dr a call or better yet the pharmacist (I have found them to be more helpful than drs sometimes). If this is fairly new, give the doctor a call as it may not be the Neurontin.

I hope that helps. I have been on it for years now and I know that one of the nurses that I worked with gave this website to check out. It was specifically for Neurontin. They had many suggestions on how to deal with some of the side effects; swelling being one of them as was that drunk/buzzed feeling, which I get from time to time now if I don't drink enough water and eat enough protein when I take it. I wished I had kept that name but heck it was years ago and I've moved since then. LOL.

Hope that helps some.

jackD 06-20-2008 08:33 PM

Loop Diuretics?

You might want to aks your doctor about taking a DIURETIC. It could be that the extra high amount of water you are consuming plus the drugs could account for some of the swelling.

I had to stop taking a calcium channel blocker blood pressure medication because of swelling of my feet last month.

I had tried both a THIAZIDE DIURETIC and a THIAZIDE-LIKE DIURETIC but they both caused be to have leg cramps at night.

That problem was solved by taking a newer class of DIURETICS called a LOOP DIURETIC. I also have some venous insufficiency blood circulation problems which seems to be helped by taking some Pine Bark Extract (Pycnogenol).

jackD

starfish 06-20-2008 09:33 PM

Neurontin can cause peripheral edema. Does your doctor know this is happening to you?

Is there a different drug you can take? Coffee and tea with caffiene can be diuretics. If it is not a problem for your medical hx per your MD, perhaps you can try them to manage the neurontin?

Another idea is to look at your sodium intake, but it could just be the neurontin.

So sorry you are having these issues. Hope you find a solution that makes you more comfortable.