NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Final update on my mom (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/48534-final-update-mom.html)

SandyC 06-23-2008 10:38 AM

Final update on my mom

So, they say God works in mysterious ways. Guess what? My mom will not be coming to live with us after all.

My mom, although scared to live on her own just signed for a one bedroom apartment where my grandmother once lived! Social security came through and she will be drawing off my stepdad who passed away two years ago. She is making enough money to cover her Cobra and life insurance, as well as rent. The apartment is an income based apartment through a private owner, with HUD helping.

It's scary for her, but we think she will be happier living on her own. My Aunt Hasteen (how's that for an old name?) lives in the same apartments. So, mom will have plenty of friends and family to help her get groceries and such. Of course if she runs low financially, Jim and I will help her. I've already offered to pay for her phone and cable so we'll see. All utilities other than cable and phone are covered in her rent.

I was excited that she was coming to stay with us but I am even more excited that she can keep all of her stuff and feel independent. That is what is most important.

Thank you to everyone who prayed and sent supporting thoughts our way. That big man (or woman) upstairs does work miracles. I never doubted that, even for a minute. ;)

Victor H 06-23-2008 10:44 AM

That is very good news!

AfterMyNap 06-23-2008 10:50 AM

Fantastic!! That is great news all around!

Friend2U 06-23-2008 10:50 AM

Sandy,

I was behind on this. But I am so happy that your mom is not losing her independence. This is very important for my mom too. We remodeled a building on our place into a small apartment for my mom. She had to sell her big house. This was much better than even moving into housing. I can really identify with you on this as I know many others can.

There may come a time when she needs to move in with you, but I"m glad that time is still yet in the future for you.

:hug: God does work! It's nice to see that in our lives! :)

weegot5kiz 06-23-2008 10:56 AM

hopefully this is just what the doctor ordered for mom, maybe its what she needs, the sense of independence, i can relate with that issue. Looks like chris has yard work that you had planned for mom:rolleyes: (if i got sons name wrong my apology)

watsonsh 06-23-2008 11:00 AM

That is great news! :hug: for your mom....

Now since you have some room I am happy to send you my mom for a while :wink:

SandyC 06-23-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelley (Post 307696)
That is great news! :hug: for your mom....

Now since you have some room I am happy to send you my mom for a while :wink:

I can only handle one mom at a time, even if she is over 600 miles away! lol

Kitty 06-23-2008 11:15 AM

That's great news, Sandy. I know this will help with your Mom's overall mood and outlook on life. Independence is hard to lose...even if it's just a part of it. Hopefully she will adapt well and enjoy her new apartment. She also knows that she has a place to go if she needs it - and that's a comforting thought for anyone. You're a good daughter! :)

SallyC 06-23-2008 11:24 AM

I just love it, when God takes over and works things out for the best..:) :hug:

hollym 06-23-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 307716)
I just love it, when God takes over and works things out for the best..:) :hug:

My thoughts exactly!!