NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Brisket recipes? (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/48584-brisket-recipes.html)

Riverwild 06-23-2008 11:19 PM

Brisket recipes?

I got hooked on slow roasted brisket while down in Texas and have tried to replicate the rub and cooking of said brisket many MANY times.

I want to cook it on the gas grille. I know it has to be slowcooked ( Low and Slow) to come out all tender and melt in your mouth so it pulls apart, but do I do it in foil or open on the grille?

I want to do a dry rub and have tried a bunch of different spices and come up with a recipe that I like that includes Cumin and Cayenne and garlic and onion powder and cracked pepper all ground together. Do I add salt to that or wait and salt after?

Any brisket roasters out there, come out and helllllp meeee!:D

Twinkletoes 06-23-2008 11:33 PM

Yum!

RW, I stole, er uh, "borrowed" this from RecipeZaar.com (I haven't personally tried it though).

New Year's Eve Oven Roasted Beef Brisket

SERVES 6 -8

Ingredients
6 lbs beef brisket
1/2 lb carrot (cut into small pieces)
3 stalks celery (cut into small pieces)
3 medium onions, peeled and chunked
3 garlic cloves
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 cup beef broth
1/3 cup brown sugar

Directions
1. In a large bowl combine tomatoes, beef broth, and brown sugar. stir till mixed well.

2. pour over top of the brisket and vegies and bake in the oven for 6 hours at 225 f.

3. you can use any type of roast or meat you want. it really does not matter even a tough type of meat will work fine after cooking for 6 hours it will come out fork tender.

4. call and invite twink over for dinner! :D

Koala77 06-23-2008 11:37 PM

If it's going on a grill, the briskett should be wrapped in foil RW, but never salt your meat before you cook it. If you salt meat before it's cooked, it can end up very tough. If necessary, salt it after it's cooked.

Happy cooking, and don't forget to mail me a taste! :D

Riverwild 06-23-2008 11:43 PM

Oooh! Thanks Twink! I forgot about the brown sugar! That's in the rub too! I am cooking this as more of an outside cookout type thing, so I don't want to put all the usual veggies in, but I did wonder if it would make it's own juice if I did it in foil. I may have to add some liquid, and a few fresh tomatoes squeezed in might be just the ticket!

Anne, I wasn't sure about the whole salt thing! I heard that it could make meat tough. I never salt anything until it's served. I figure anyone who wants salt can do their own, but this is a HUGE piece of meat and I want to make sure it's done RIGHT! Thanks!

Kitty 06-24-2008 05:23 AM

Let us know how it turns out! I'm interested in trying this.

I have a charcoal grill so I'm not sure this would work for me but I might try it in the crock pot.

soxmom 06-24-2008 07:27 AM

I dont know Riverwild. I always salt my meat before I cook it. In fact, I salt
and pepper it before I add the rub. I dont know if you watch pbs or foodtv,
but they all salt and pepper meat before you cook it. Doesnt matter if
its chicken, pork or beef. I think Id do some research on that.:)

I always cook brisket low and slow in the oven. Im not a big griller..
but please let us know how it turns out.:)

Bets 06-24-2008 02:50 PM

Here is my grandmothers recipe (she always brings a brisket in her carry on when visiting -we're wierd)

Texas Style Brisket

1 4-5 lb brisket
1/2 c oil
2T worcestershire sauce
1t salt
1 clove garlic pressed
juice of 1 lemon

Marinade in above mixture for 4 or 5 hours, turning once. Remove brisket to a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, cover with foil. Bake at 325 degrees just until tender (1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours). prepare grill to high heat and add mesquite chips if desired. Put pan over hot coals or gas fire and reduce meat juice (if too moist) or add marinade (if too dry) depending on the meat. Finish cooking on grill to desired doneness.

You can cook the brisket on the grill entirely, but it does use up a ton of propane.

Curious 06-27-2008 06:15 PM

a good texas brisket is going to take hours and hours to cook in a grill. if you rush it, it's going to be tough.

you need to add salt to your rub. if you don't, you won't get a crust and your meat will be dry. imo...it's what we do here.

do you plan on serving it sliced or pulled?

<-----monkey from texas who has cooked many a brisket.

Riverwild 06-27-2008 06:21 PM

O-O-O-O-K!

We did a bunch of research, called folks in TX ( old river drivers! ) and talked amongst ourselves and we have decided!

We will soak it in marinade for 12 hours or so with a vinegar based marinade. Then we will wrap it in foil and roast it in the oven at 200 for 12 hours or so ( overnight) and then we will polish it off on the grille for 3-4 hours on low with more dry rub smeared on it. The fat cap will go on top, all silverskin will be removed before marinating and I EXPECT it to come out scrumptious!!

I will take pics of the beginning and end result! It's a HUGE brisket, so I want to be very careful to document every step in case I want to duplicate it again.

Kelly,

you CAN do it on charcoal, supposedly that is the best way to do it. The Texicans said get some fruitwood chips and keep tossing them in after soaking them in a bucket of water. They said chunks of fruitwood are better, but I reminded them that we are in MAINE and we don't cut down our precious fruit trees! It takes them too long to grow and bear fruit!! We have a new gas grille so it's propane for us now!

Bets,

The Texicans told me to make sure I put some worcestershire in the marinade! I agreed but the man is dead set against it! (it'll be in there:p)

I'll let y'all know how it goes! The cooking will take place July 3-4! Hopefully someone will show up to eat it!

Bets 06-27-2008 08:36 PM

Funny, I suddenly have a craving for brisket. I guess I know what I will be doing this week-end...booking a flight to grandmas for home cooking. No way will I attempt to make one. :o