NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Slow gastric emptying (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/49139-slow-gastric-emptying.html)

Shashi 07-02-2008 12:59 PM

Slow gastric emptying

I am having a gastric emptying test next week because during my endoscopy yesterday, my doctor found a small amount of food still in my stomach 12 hours after my last meal.

I've actually had this problem for several years that I know of. In 2005, I had surgery. The anesthesia made me nauseous and I yakked up my dinner I'd had 19 hours before the surgery. (I had the hardest time convincing the recovery room nurse that I hadn't eaten breakfast that morning!)

Has anyone else had this test or had problems with slow gastric emptying and could this be an MS-related symptom? (I haven't been diagnosed with MS yet. I've been living in Limbo-He!! for the past two years.)

Pacifica 07-02-2008 01:35 PM

Hi Lisa,

I was diagnosed with slow gastric emptying at UCSF just a couple of months ago. They say it could be neurological in nature but they don't know. I kept telling my docs that food felt like it just sat there forever. I am always nauseated and I have to make myself eat. I never have an appetite because I always feel full. I do have lots of trouble with bloating and abdominal pain.

I am not diagnosed with MS yet at this time either. Actually, I was diagnosed with it for a year and then the docs changed their minds and I was undiagnosed.

I found out I had GERD last year but I was having no symptoms at all. No heartburn, nothing. My GI doc found severe esophagitis and gastric ulcers during an EGD and colo. It was news to me.

I am actually having a repeat EGD tomorrow so that they can see what is going on in there currently. I have been on a PPI for the last 6 months.

The gastric emptying test is really easy. I had to eat radioactive eggs and then they watch how fast the eggs travel through your system on a nuclear med scanner. It is interesting to watch them move along. No pain, no discomfort. One of the easiest tests that I have ever had to do. Good luck.

0357 07-02-2008 01:50 PM

I am dx with MS and only MS and had a test to see how fast I digested food; it was too slow.

I was put on 10 mg Reglan 4 times daily; now 5 times daily. It helps your stomach muscles work and also helps your intestinal track.

Oh, the test is a breeze; I ate scrambled eggs and toast there then laid on a table where they took x-rays from time to time.

Take care.

Dejibo 07-02-2008 02:03 PM

I was dx as slow gastric empty years ago. long before MS come into my life.

The tech was amazed at how slow my tummy was. said I was the slowest she had ever seen. I go through periods of doing great, and then hit skids of never being hungry cause the food is still there.