NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   suggestions in starting local rsd support group (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/49333-suggestions-starting-local-rsd-support.html)

susieorr444 07-05-2008 11:08 AM

suggestions in starting local rsd support group

My hand therapist, a close friend with RSD, and I are wanting to start a local RSD support group in our city. My therapist has several RSD clients and has contacted other therapists who have patients. Have any of you started a group or know of someone to contact to help? When we moved here I met my friend at church for the first time. Her first comment was "You have RSD!" I had just been diagnosed. She has been so much help. She routed me to my awesome therapist and has been a great sounding board and support. Our husbands work together at our church. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. (When we do start a group guess what web site will be on our list???) Susie :)

Curious 07-05-2008 11:17 AM

susie,

what about asking your dr to hold an informal meeting at his/her office on a saturday? just a coffee tea type of thing. see how much interest just from that office.

then contact any of your therapists "friends" to do the same thing.

all it takes is a few to start.

i'm sure more will chime in here. there maybe members here who live near you.

:hug:

susieorr444 07-05-2008 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curious (Post 316258)
susie,

what about asking your dr to hold an informal meeting at his/her office on a saturday? just a coffee tea type of thing. see how much interest just from that office.

then contact any of your therapists "friends" to do the same thing.

all it takes is a few to start.

i'm sure more will chime in here. there maybe members here who live near you.

Good idea, I live in the the Wichita Falls area. :)

Curious 07-05-2008 05:05 PM

my daughter..lil'monkey..her good friend is there for the summer visiting her dad. lil'monkey is planning a weekend there.

i'm in the dfw area.

Jomar 07-05-2008 09:24 PM

Maybe make up some flyers or signs and ask if you can place them in Drs offices?? add a sign up sheet for those interested...

RSD/CRPS ??

We'd like to start a support group -
if interested please call or email {phone number & email address}

{make a free email account for this in case of spam or weirdos}
{I wouldn't use your home phone number either - maybe get a tracfone something for this part and let messages go to voice mail??}

daniella 07-06-2008 08:05 AM

Hi. I too have been trying to start a group not only for rsd but chronic pain. The one rsd support group in my area has been canceled for like 4 months cause the leader got really ill with her rsd. I made a post on craigslist under groups with little replies. I am also going to call a local hospital here that offers many groups but nothing for this type of thing. I too would ask your therapist if they have any suggestions. Where do you live if I may ask?

debbiehub 07-06-2008 03:56 PM

Rsd Group

I help run a local RSD group. We were able to get a room at a Library once a month. If you contact Jim Broatch are RSDSA.Org he can give you a lot of information. He will also be able to add your name to his RSD group contact list.

Hope that helps

Debbie

susieorr444 07-06-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daniella (Post 316660)
Hi. I too have been trying to start a group not only for rsd but chronic pain. The one rsd support group in my area has been canceled for like 4 months cause the leader got really ill with her rsd. I made a post on craigslist under groups with little replies. I am also going to call a local hospital here that offers many groups but nothing for this type of thing. I too would ask your therapist if they have any suggestions. Where do you live if I may ask?

Wichita Falls, Texas near the Oklahoma border in north Texas.

susieorr444 07-06-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbiehub (Post 316948)
I help run a local RSD group. We were able to get a room at a Library once a month. If you contact Jim Broatch are RSDSA.Org he can give you a lot of information. He will also be able to add your name to his RSD group contact list.

Hope that helps

Debbie

Thanks, Debbie. I'll contact him. My therapist offered her office for a meeting place.