NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Allergies & Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (https://www.neurotalk.org/allergies-and-multiple-chemical-sensitivity/)
-   -   ECG allergy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/allergies-and-multiple-chemical-sensitivity/49757-ecg-allergy.html)

dizzie lizzy 07-11-2008 11:08 AM

ECG allergy?

I had to wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours this past Monday-Tuesday. It's Friday and I still have raised itchy red circles where the electrodes were. Has anybody else had this happen? Does this mean I am allergic to the adhesive or the metal or just really sensitive at the moment?

Abbie 07-14-2008 07:05 PM

I'm not a doctor or anything but I am allergic to the adhesives on bandages, medical tape, and electrodes.

Sounds like you too may have had a reaction to the adhesive.

I can't tell you how to deal with it... if it's really bad or irritating you may want to check with your doctor just to be on the safe side.

I just usually clean the area where the adhesive was and let the area heal on it's own...usually goes away in a few days or so... I did go to the doctor the first few times this happened to me.. because I wasn't sure.

I wish you the best...
:)
Abbie

dizzie lizzy 07-21-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abasaki (Post 323660)
I'm not a doctor or anything but I am allergic to the adhesives on bandages, medical tape, and electrodes.

Sounds like you too may have had a reaction to the adhesive.

I can't tell you how to deal with it... if it's really bad or irritating you may want to check with your doctor just to be on the safe side.

I just usually clean the area where the adhesive was and let the area heal on it's own...usually goes away in a few days or so... I did go to the doctor the first few times this happened to me.. because I wasn't sure.

I wish you the best...
:)
Abbie

Thanks. Almost 2 weeks later there are still slight remnants but it seems to be getting better.

dahlek 08-09-2008 06:04 PM

DizLiz? I know of others who have....

had 'reactions' to various adhesives ..... There are alternative [tho more expensive and not always available] electrode contact thingies. Thing is to a] get this point across clearly to the doc writing the order and then ... b] knowing you are getting the right contacts!

I understand the 'reactions'! I can get welts from different brands of band-aids! Just wish I knew which ones to avoid.

A good anti-histimine or steroid creme/lotion can help ease the itches. But they won't get rid of it right away. My advice? See your dermatologist [I sure hope they are very GOOD!] Asap so they can actually see the welts [take pics otherwise-cameras these days can be useful for that sort of thing] and The doc will look at it and go 'Oh, it's a formisgarble' and you get a script, never really knowing what you've got unless you make them write it down. For me with treatment it usually takes about a month for it to go away. W/O treatment 6 weeks. Sigh.

Oh, and don't scratch! Hope this helps! - j