NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Muscle Fatigue Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/49774-muscle-fatigue-question.html)

FinLady 07-11-2008 03:44 PM

Muscle Fatigue Question

If this has been asked before, sorry for being a repeater - lol. I looked back to the beginning of the month and didn't find a thread for this.

Yesterday I did a lot of house work, and have major muscle fatigue today. I have the motivation to keep doing stuff, but the body is saying "no way"

Can anything besides rest help with this? I've been listening and have been sitting most of the day today, but it's been hard. LOL, why is it when the cog issues are at a low the physical ones seem to blow up? Wacky rollar coaster this MS is. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

NurseNancy 07-11-2008 03:50 PM

one of the hardest things i learned with my MS was to listen to my body.
gradually i learned when i was approaching my limit and knew if i went to far i'd pay the piper.

i actually get more done over the wk if i listen and rest when needed. that's usually in the afternoon.

for instance i shower the night before. then i can get up and get to appts or run errands before it gets too hot or i get too tired.

trusting yourself will bring rewards.

FinLady 07-11-2008 03:57 PM

Thanks, nancy. I believe my hubby's comment when I mentioned listening to my body more was ...."finally!". :D

I know I'm a stubborn one sometimes, which is hard cause that wall of exhaustion keeps on moving on me. I break my large projects into smaller ones. Even doing that, I hit a wall I didn't think I would yesterday. Live and learn, I guess. :)

LOL, sometimes I feel like a kid testing the water every day to see if it's too cold.

Judy2 07-11-2008 04:54 PM

Yes -- you have to "listen" to your body. This is coming from another "stubborn" person -- just ask my ex husband!!! LOL I was always one to push through the pain, heat, whatever, to finish what I had started. With three kids, somebody had to do what needed to be done. But MS has definitely slowed me down big time now. It was a hard lesson to learn, but after falling many times, mainly from the muscle fatigue, I realized I had to change. Now, being in this powerchair just about all the time, I've really slowed down but still like to do what I comfortably can. If we just give up completely, we may as well be dead. Good luck and start "listening".

Take care.......:)

weegot5kiz 07-12-2008 11:43 AM

hmmmm fin dejavue or what lol wish i had a answer you know that we both over do it and we both end up dead tired, pace pace pace, i just cant seem to find my pace setting switch,

actually i think its more i know i can get this all done and or I USE to be able to get all this done with no problems so i am going to, yeah like judy said stubborn, :yikes: not trying to make light of this, its just a pain in the kiester, and honestly i dont want to have to pace myself then i am admitting defeat its an odd catch 22

hope ya get to feeling better soon :hug:

NaeNae 07-13-2008 07:57 AM

YES!!!! A scooter and then you too can run people over LOL!

Seriously rest unless you do use a scooter is it usually for at least an hour for me depending on the activity or else it just gets worse.

FinLady 07-14-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaeNae (Post 322680)
YES!!!! A scooter and then you too can run people over LOL!

ROFL!!!!!!!! Thank you so much, I needed the laugh today. :D