NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Too Old for Office? (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/49929-office.html)

Kitty 07-14-2008 10:35 AM

Too Old for Office?

Let me begin this thread by stating that this is not a "bash McCain" thread. I'm not stating who I will vote for. This is also not a "political views" thread so at the first hint of negativity towards another board member or a particular political party I will request that this thread be closed.

There's been a lot of talk on the political circuit about McCain's age and health. Many believe that he's too old to hold office and that his health is, at the very least, questionable.

What do you think? Do you think he's too old to be elected? Do you think his health is to "iffy"? How old do you believe is too old to hold office? Everyone will probably have some sort of health concern at some point in their lives....how do you determine what is "too much"?

This could be an interesting discussion - so please let's stay on topic. :)

Jomar 07-14-2008 10:53 AM

I don't think he is to old due to his age, age is just a number after all.:)

I do think a president, in general terms, should stand tall and look confident and in charge.
I guess I don't see that in him.

who moi 07-14-2008 11:03 AM

I dunno, some have said that 70 is the new 60 and 17 is the new fetus.

When I was walking around when I was 18 people have came up to say to me, "what are you doing out here? Go back to your mama's womb..." I still wondered how they know moi mama's a wombat??

and when the cops saw me, they'd ask me to assume the "Fetal Position" *shrug :D

with that said...

I think some people can be 45 and be incoherent, I've seen them. LOL

some people can be 90 and be sharp as heckit, I've seen them too...

I think McCain falls into the latter...I think he has a sharp mind although you don't really see it when he talks. LOL

But I look at his record over there at AZ and sure, it's not the greatest, but it doesn't look too bad either? I dunno, I don't live in AZ...

I think if he was elected, he should be alrighty for the next four years as far as his age is concerned, but his choice of VP will come into play though, whom he will choose for that I think should help buffer the age thing, if he choose wisely.

This is going to be a tough year for me for I really like both candidates (sorry, Ralphie boy...)

It is too bad that McCain and Obama can't be on the same ticket. Talk about a "UNITED States..." Wouldn't that be awesome??

Just my twenty five dollar thoughts (my thought has become expensive due to gas increase)

MelodyL 07-14-2008 11:04 AM

This is a very good thread.

I don't think age should have squat to do with qualifications. If the guy is qualified, is in generally good health (and you MUST know, he'll get the BEST health care that money (ours) can buy, right??

I think the person who is the most qualified, who will keep his promises, AND WHO WILL BRING OUR BOYS HOME, well, that's the person who should run, and win.

But that's probably not going to happen any time soon.

Oh well!!!

just my humble opinion.

P.S. I love the thing about 17 being the new fetus.

The other day I dropped a sack of oranges in front of a store clerk, it was her first day on the job. She must have been 18 or so.

She looked at the sack of oranges and looked at me and said "what are these".??

Sigh!!

THIS IS OUR FUTURE???

Curious 07-14-2008 11:35 AM

age of presidents when elected:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sion_to_office

Jomar 07-14-2008 11:50 AM

that list is interesting I really like how they layed it out.
- I was surprised to see some of the first ones even lived to the ages they did - that was pretty rare in those days.

Kitty 07-14-2008 12:10 PM

That was very interesting - thanks for sharing that Curious. :)

soxmom 07-14-2008 12:27 PM

When I first read the title of this thread Kelly.....I thought you were
going to ask us if You were too old to watch the sitcom THE OFFICE?:):confused:

funny how my confused mind works huh????:Dunno::Doh::Bang-Head::Scratch-Head:

Victor H 07-14-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herekitty1960 (Post 323263)
Let me begin this thread by stating that this is not a "bash McCain" thread. I'm not stating who I will vote for. This is also not a "political views" thread so at the first hint of negativity towards another board member or a particular political party I will request that this thread be closed.

There's been a lot of talk on the political circuit about McCain's age and health. Many believe that he's too old to hold office and that his health is, at the very least, questionable.

What do you think? Do you think he's too old to be elected? Do you think his health is to "iffy"? How old do you believe is too old to hold office? Everyone will probably have some sort of health concern at some point in their lives....how do you determine what is "too much"?

This could be an interesting discussion - so please let's stay on topic. :)

Though I do not think that he is too old to be our President, I would pay close attention to who he picks as the VP, since that could be significant if McCain developed some medical problems.

-Vic

snoozie 07-14-2008 01:56 PM

Have you ever seen any interviews done by McCains mother?

She is in her 90's and is sharp as a tack!

In my opinion he is not too old to be president. It should be who will be the best for our country as a whole...Sue