NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Allergies & Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (https://www.neurotalk.org/allergies-and-multiple-chemical-sensitivity/)
-   -   What can I do for an awful headache (MCS headache). (https://www.neurotalk.org/allergies-and-multiple-chemical-sensitivity/50312-awful-headache-mcs-headache.html)

momXseven 07-19-2008 01:52 PM

What can I do for an awful headache (MCS headache).

There are times I get AWFUL headaches and I try my best to get fresh air but sometimes I just can't or that isn't enough. Most of the time I can tell a plan headache from a MCS reaction headache so I can tell it pain meds are going to help or not (pain meds do not help MCS reactions).

So if I can't get fresh air or if the fresh air isn't enough what can I do? :confused:

Chemar 07-19-2008 02:44 PM

have you tried peppermint oil on your temples? (do NOT get it in your eyes tho!!!)

also have you tried the epsom salts detox baths...2 cups epsom salts in tub of warm water and soak yourself for 20 min

momXseven 07-19-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemar (Post 326782)
have you tried peppermint oil on your temples? (do NOT get it in your eyes tho!!!)

also have you tried the epsom salts detox baths...2 cups epsom salts in tub of warm water and soak yourself for 20 min

Peppermint oil makes me nausea, yes I'm odd. :D
I have tried the detox epsom salt baths but never while having a MCS reaction headache. I'll have to try this.

momXseven 07-22-2008 10:46 AM

I tried the epsom salt bath last night and it did not help with my headache. :(

momXseven 08-02-2008 08:46 AM

I found this yesterday went I was looking for my own answer.

http://planetthrive.com/cgi-bin/memb...aldisplayed=50

BTW, this site has lots of good info on MCS.

FinLady 08-02-2008 09:31 AM

For heat sensitve folks like myself, this is not fun, but sometimes it's the only thing that works for me when I have an allergy related headache.

In the bathroom sink, use a couple of tablespoons of epson salt and fill with hot water. Drap a towel over your head and breathe in the steam for about a minute. This makes me a little overheated, which is not fun, but it's sometimes worth it to get rid of the headache.

I also use decongestants. Antihistamines (sp?) dry my sinus' too much and give me sinus infections. Had tons of sinus infections as a kid and no one could understand why. Went to college, and some one suggested the drying out of sinus cavity. What'd ya know. I only get them once in awhile now.

Since I'm allergic to a lot of stuff, including some chemicals (I'm even allergic to that brand name baby laundry detergent :eek:), I have constant sinus issues. I've had to learn what I can even bring into the house as far as cleaning and beauty products go.

Best of luck. :hug:

Chemar 08-02-2008 12:21 PM

also a nasal flush and wipe with saline solution helps a lot. I get the headache baaad from chemically scented things and also strong household cleaner stuff (eg carpet shampoo, oven cleaner etc)
I find if I keep a hankie (I use a paper towel) soaked in saline and keep wiping my nose it helps it go away faster too.

avoidance is best with MCS wherever possible, but its hard in this modern chemical world

hearing that re another use for the epsom salts was a great tip too FinLady :) thanks!

sugarboo 08-02-2008 03:51 PM

This may seem extreme Julie, but have you thought about getting an oxygen tank? Pure, fresh air at your fingertips. Just a thought. Always hoping you find relief!!!! HUGS!! :hug:

momXseven 08-02-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenjeans (Post 337710)
This may seem extreme Julie, but have you thought about getting an oxygen tank? Pure, fresh air at your fingertips. Just a thought. Always hoping you find relief!!!! HUGS!! :hug:

Yes I have but I have to find a Dr that will give me a scrip for one. :rolleyes: