NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Yellowjacket bite; oh sooo painful... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/50728-yellowjacket-bite-oh-sooo-painful.html)

0357 07-25-2008 10:00 PM

Yellowjacket bite; oh sooo painful...

I've been stung other times during my life and it stung...

But this pain is off the charts. Is this because of the MS? Could the stinger hit a nerve?

I've used vinegar and baking soda, StingEze Analgesic w/benzocaine 5% & phenol 1.35%. Finally took a pain pill that just took the edge off the pain allowing me to type with pain; got stung on a side of my hand.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I saw the mosquito thread...

And no, the stinger is not left in. What is going on?!?

Koala77 07-25-2008 10:05 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a Yellowjacket? Is it a bee or a wasp type insect?

0357 07-25-2008 10:08 PM

Very aggressive wasp...

Koala77 07-25-2008 10:30 PM

Thank you.

Here's some common treatments for other wasp stings. Maybe one might work for you.

* Ice applications
* Make a paste of Baking Soda and water and spread over sting
* Meat Tenderizer....Make a paste with a few drops of water to a teaspoon of meat tenderizer and quickly apply to the sting (this can reduce the pain and inflammation)
* Ammonia Solution--Apply a 1-2% percent solution, three or four times daily.
* Oral Antihistamines
* Topical Steroids (Cortaid, Dermolate, Lanacort, etc.)

If you have a severe reaction then medical intervention will probably be necessary.

0357 07-25-2008 10:45 PM

Koala77

Thanks for this information. I am not having an allergic reaction that needs medical attention; problems breathing, etc.

I did try ice packs, baking soda and water paste, and an oral antihistamine; forgot to mention...

Feel silly for posting for the pain is finally letting up a bit. I've just never been stung before and had such pain. Wondered if anyone else had this problem who had MS.

Again, Thanks for your information!

weegot5kiz 07-25-2008 11:16 PM

i dont know about MS but i too as a mail man have been bit by bees and no problem but yellow jackets are nasty and do hurt

Twinkletoes 07-25-2008 11:29 PM

Owweee!!!

I don't know if it was yellowjackets, but my dad got stung yesterday a few times on his hand and once on his nose. (They weren't honeybees).

We applied mud a couple of times on his hand, and it never did swell up. When I called later to ask him about it, he'd forgotten about it, so it worked for him.

BUT, he doesn't have MS -- I do.

I don't know if its supposed to be worse for MSers, or if you just got some really nasty stings.

Sorry about that!

Twinkletoes 07-25-2008 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weegot5kiz (Post 331757)
i dont know about MS but i too as a mail man have been bit by bees and no problem but yellow jackets are nasty and do hurt

Hey Frank, didja bite them back? :D

weegot5kiz 07-26-2008 12:11 AM

0357 someone on here started a thread a bout mosiquto bites an most of us all said same thing they are worse then normal and much more irritating, so maybe the ms is a cause of this..i do hope it gets to feeling better real soon

Twink i stepped on a yellow jacket nest one day and got 9 bites my arm swelled up so badly i had to go to ER, glad dad is doing fine Twink, and mud is the best, used it on my kids too

ewizabeth 07-26-2008 12:16 AM

I stepped on one once and the pain was unbelievably bad. I hope you'll feel better soon.