NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Slow cooked desserts (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/51361-slow-cooked-desserts.html)

Koala77 08-03-2008 11:38 PM

Slow cooked desserts

While we were away on our little holiday, our host and hostess served desserts to die with each evening meal.

One was a cherry upside down cake like dessert, and .... yummo!!! I'm waiting for her to send me the recipe for that one!

Another night she served a lemon chiffon pie with passion fruit poured over the top. I am also patiently awaiting the recipe for that as well. :D

She cooks all her desserts in her slow cooker, and I was wondering if anyone had equally as delicious dessert recipes, that they too cook in their own slow cookers.

If you do then share please as I have guests coming to dinner on Wednesday night! :eek:

Twinkletoes 08-03-2008 11:43 PM

Yum!!! Can't figure out why you were in such a hurry to return home with that kind of treatment!!!

I never thought about cooking desserts in a slow cooker.

Here are some crock pot recipes you can take a look at: http://www.thatsmyhome.com/slowcooker/desserts.htm

Koala77 08-04-2008 12:08 AM

Thanks Twink.

I do casseroles in my slow cooker, but I'd never thought of doing desserts. I certainly will now though as they were so easy to prepare, cook and serve. They'll even stay warm for you without spoiling in the crockpot/slow cooker.

I most definitely am on the look out for lots of good recipes now! :D

Kitty 08-04-2008 07:30 AM

Thanks for the website, Twink! I've already printed off a few recipes from it. :)

tkrik 08-05-2008 10:51 AM

Here is an awesome (tasting and smelling) slow cooked dessert recipe.

TRIPLE CHOCOLATE DECADENCE

1 1/2 cups water
1 package brownie Mix (or Chocolate cake mix)
1 large package chocolate pudding mix
1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup vegetable oil

Coat the crock with cooking spray. Place all ingredients in the order listed in your crock pot and mix well. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours. Done when sides pull away from walls. Serve with cool whip, whipped topping, or vanilla ice cream. Serves 8.

Jomar 08-05-2008 11:06 AM

anyone try zucchini bread cooked in a crockpot??
I think I'll mix up a batch and take crockpot out on to patio to let it cook. It's gonna be 95* today here.
We do that with our Showtime rotisserie cooker too. {set it and forget it-LOL}

Crockpot Zucchini Bread
Ingredients:

* 2 eggs
* 2/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 1/3 cups zucchini, peeled and grated
* 1 tablespoon
* 2 cups flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preparation:
In mixing bowl with handheld electric mixer, beat eggs until light and foamy. Add oil, sugar, grated zucchini and vanilla. Mix well. Stir dry ingredients with nuts; stir into zucchini mixture and blend well. Pour into a greased and floured 2 pound coffee can or 2 quart mold (whatever you use, make sure it fits in your slow cooker). Place in slow cooker. Cover can or dish with 8 paper towels. Cover and bake on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
Do not remove cover to check cake until it has cooked for 3 hours. Let stand 5 minutes before unmolding.
http://southernfood.about.com/od/cro.../r/bl19c13.htm

DM 08-05-2008 11:34 AM

Thanks for starting this thread, Anne!

I put the links for the recipes in my favorites. Great idea!!!

lor 08-05-2008 02:40 PM

Hmmmmmm..I wonder if you can cook/bake the same desserts in a crock pot that you do in a camping dutch oven? I have a simple recipe for a yummy dessert for the D.O. Put a can of pie filling in the bottom, over it put one cake mix mixed with one can of soda pop. Check it after 45-60 min. When I made it in the D.O. it took about 50 min. with coals ontop of the lid & some underneath. A crock pot is slower I guess, so it would take a little longer.

I just looked in my camping cookbook & it gives these suggestions:

1)cherries, choc cake, coke
2)apples, spice cake, rootbeer
3)fruit coctail (no liquid), white cake, 7-up
4)blueberries, white cake, cream soda
5) cranberries, butter cake, cream soda

But you can do whatever mixture you want. I think I did apple filling, yellow cake, 7-up.

Jomar 08-05-2008 03:39 PM

My Crockpot Zucchini Bread is outside cooking - I'll let you know how it turns out:D

Koala77 08-05-2008 06:50 PM

Thank you everyone. The recipes all sound so yummy.

I'm definitely going to try the Triple Chocolate Decadence Dessert and the Zucchini Bread! :D

I also like the sound of the Dutch Oven recipes and will give some of those a try too. I imagine if they're cooked over the same times and temperatures as the other slow cooked dessert recipes, they should turn out OK.

But.............. I have some questions that may sound strange to you, but I promise you I'm serious!

What is 7up? I know it's a soda of some kind but we don't have it here in Oz, so what would be a close substitute?

Also what is Creaming Soda? Is that a yellow cordial (soda) as I think we do have one like that.

Lastly, what size bottles/cans of the soft drinks do you use?