NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Movement Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/movement-disorders/)
-   -   Does anyone have SPINAL MYOCLONUS or PALATAL MYOCLONUS? (https://www.neurotalk.org/movement-disorders/52250-spinal-myoclonus-palatal-myoclonus.html)

Topsie 08-16-2008 03:30 AM

Does anyone have SPINAL MYOCLONUS or PALATAL MYOCLONUS?
 
Hi I am brand new to this site and I am so glad to have found somewhere to begin my search for support and God willing (hopefully) find someone else who has my conditions. I have Palatal Myoclonus (1 in 2 million people) and Spinal Myoclonus (1 in 3 million people). In very quick definition :) (it is a long definition so "in a nut shell") Palatal Myoclonus (I have had for 5 years- starts in the 30s- got when I was 31) results in constant ear popping as the eustation tube spasms across the palate of my mouth which results in anywhere from 5 pops per minute to 15 pops per minute to 35 pops per minute to even up to 72 pops per minute! March 2007 we thought it had spread into my neck etc, however Stanford diagnosed my second type of myoclonus - Spinal Myoclonus. This results constant and involuntary spasms of my arms, shoulders, neck, back, stomach etc. Anyhow, these myoclonus conditions have been very challenging and it was devasting to me. I am pulling through these conditions with my head held high (smiles- finally) and I am determined to just do the best I can with what I have been dealt. IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW HAS SPINAL MYOCLONUS OR PALATAL MYOCLONUS PLEASE WRITE ME. I WOULD BE EXTREMELY GREATFUL TO FINALLY TALK WITH SOMEONE WITH THESE CONDITIONS. Thank you and best of luck to everyone. Topsie

burnmyo 08-23-2008 12:40 AM

Hi Topsie, I also have palatal myoclonus. It was diagnosed by nasoendoscopy as palatal and pharyngeal myoclonus.

I believe I also have it in the larynx and oesophagus (it spasms on its own).
The myoclonus was clearly visible on vidoefluroscopy (done to check for dysphagia)...which I also have to some degree on the right side.

My palatal myoclonus is clearly visible whether mouth opened or closed (twitching constant in throat etc).

Over a period of years if these get bad, I've gotten major cramps R side facial and R throat/neck area. It burns and cramps and I'm out laying on my left side with ice flannel towels applied to these areas.

I believe that that the oesophageal-stomach junction cramps/spasms and burns with the pain going right thru to the back.

It is so difficult when I move my arms it makes the palatal & other myoclonus worse.

What are you taking for it? How was it caused?

cheers
burnmyo

felinefriend 04-18-2009 01:36 PM

spinal myoclonus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topsie (Post 347863)
Hi I am brand new to this site and I am so glad to have found somewhere to begin my search for support and God willing (hopefully) find someone else who has my conditions. I have Palatal Myoclonus (1 in 2 million people) and Spinal Myoclonus (1 in 3 million people). In very quick definition :) (it is a long definition so "in a nut shell") Palatal Myoclonus (I have had for 5 years- starts in the 30s- got when I was 31) results in constant ear popping as the eustation tube spasms across the palate of my mouth which results in anywhere from 5 pops per minute to 15 pops per minute to 35 pops per minute to even up to 72 pops per minute! March 2007 we thought it had spread into my neck etc, however Stanford diagnosed my second type of myoclonus - Spinal Myoclonus. This results constant and involuntary spasms of my arms, shoulders, neck, back, stomach etc. Anyhow, these myoclonus conditions have been very challenging and it was devasting to me. I am pulling through these conditions with my head held high (smiles- finally) and I am determined to just do the best I can with what I have been dealt. IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW HAS SPINAL MYOCLONUS OR PALATAL MYOCLONUS PLEASE WRITE ME. I WOULD BE EXTREMELY GREATFUL TO FINALLY TALK WITH SOMEONE WITH THESE CONDITIONS. Thank you and best of luck to everyone. Topsie

Hi, I have had spinal myoclonus for 20 years and after 18 years of being treated for epilepsy just this week I have been told this is what it is. The constant spasms stop me sleeping as I jerk while awake and while alseep. Keep smiling, and live your life around the myoclonus. The Docs at the Western in Edinburgh, Scotland , invited me to be one of their most interesting cases, (myoclonus is good for something) got to laugh.Please keep in touch it's nice to hear from someone who else with this condition. Lorna

tambab 05-17-2009 02:43 PM

palatal myoclonus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topsie (Post 347863)
Hi I am brand new to this site and I am so glad to have found somewhere to begin my search for support and God willing (hopefully) find someone else who has my conditions. I have Palatal Myoclonus (1 in 2 million people) and Spinal Myoclonus (1 in 3 million people). In very quick definition :) (it is a long definition so "in a nut shell") Palatal Myoclonus (I have had for 5 years- starts in the 30s- got when I was 31) results in constant ear popping as the eustation tube spasms across the palate of my mouth which results in anywhere from 5 pops per minute to 15 pops per minute to 35 pops per minute to even up to 72 pops per minute! March 2007 we thought it had spread into my neck etc, however Stanford diagnosed my second type of myoclonus - Spinal Myoclonus. This results constant and involuntary spasms of my arms, shoulders, neck, back, stomach etc. Anyhow, these myoclonus conditions have been very challenging and it was devasting to me. I am pulling through these conditions with my head held high (smiles- finally) and I am determined to just do the best I can with what I have been dealt. IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW HAS SPINAL MYOCLONUS OR PALATAL MYOCLONUS PLEASE WRITE ME. I WOULD BE EXTREMELY GREATFUL TO FINALLY TALK WITH SOMEONE WITH THESE CONDITIONS. Thank you and best of luck to everyone. Topsie

Hi Topsie,
I am 35, with 2 young kids, and I have palatal myoclonus.
I understand your sadness. I have had for 15 years and it is getting worse....
I am going to start on antiseizure meds, but I heard there are Doctors in Turkey treating this with radiofrequency.
I would love to talk to you to see if you have had any relief since posting in 2008.
Take care

larry.boggs 07-07-2009 07:14 PM

I have been diagnosed as having segmental myoclonus. One neurologist said it was spinal myoclonus. I beblieve this started about 18 months ago with neck surgery. I ended up with a real bad case of MRSA. The wound had to be re-opened and all the hardware removed. The wound was left open and I had to take antibiotics intravenously for 3 months. One neurologist tried to treat it with medication and I am now waiting on an appointment to see another specialist. Anyone have any ideas about this.

KJohnson 07-15-2009 06:57 AM

My son has been diagnosed with palatal myoclonus. We are looking for someone to administer botox. We live in Ontario Canada - do you get botox injections? Who does this?

jonmoor 07-24-2012 08:47 PM

i have what i believe is spinal myoclonus
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Topsie (Post 347863)
Hi I am brand new to this site and I am so glad to have found somewhere to begin my search for support and God willing (hopefully) find someone else who has my conditions. I have Palatal Myoclonus (1 in 2 million people) and Spinal Myoclonus (1 in 3 million people). In very quick definition :) (it is a long definition so "in a nut shell") Palatal Myoclonus (I have had for 5 years- starts in the 30s- got when I was 31) results in constant ear popping as the eustation tube spasms across the palate of my mouth which results in anywhere from 5 pops per minute to 15 pops per minute to 35 pops per minute to even up to 72 pops per minute! March 2007 we thought it had spread into my neck etc, however Stanford diagnosed my second type of myoclonus - Spinal Myoclonus. This results constant and involuntary spasms of my arms, shoulders, neck, back, stomach etc. Anyhow, these myoclonus conditions have been very challenging and it was devasting to me. I am pulling through these conditions with my head held high (smiles- finally) and I am determined to just do the best I can with what I have been dealt. IF YOU OR ANYONE YOU KNOW HAS SPINAL MYOCLONUS OR PALATAL MYOCLONUS PLEASE WRITE ME. I WOULD BE EXTREMELY GREATFUL TO FINALLY TALK WITH SOMEONE WITH THESE CONDITIONS. Thank you and best of luck to everyone. Topsie

i also have involuntary spasms and 'jerks' in my arms, hands, shoulders, legs, all over. It first statred in my legs ib April, but seems to be spreading quickly. To say the least, i'm terrified. i am having an mri of neck and brain this week and i have an appt. to see a neurologist August 1. i pray is not symptoms of an even more serious disease.

Jeanne Spangler 08-01-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felinefriend (Post 497959)
Hi, I have had spinal myoclonus for 20 years and after 18 years of being treated for epilepsy just this week I have been told this is what it is. The constant spasms stop me sleeping as I jerk while awake and while alseep. Keep smiling, and live your life around the myoclonus. The Docs at the Western in Edinburgh, Scotland , invited me to be one of their most interesting cases, (myoclonus is good for something) got to laugh.Please keep in touch it's nice to hear from someone who else with this condition. Lorna

Hi Lorna, I know how you feel, I to have SSM and have been taking pills for epilepsy, which havn't done any good. I really believe the doctors don't know what they are dealing with so they just make guess. I have talked to a Chiropractor who I went to in another state. He told me then that I had some damage to my neck, thought I had been in accident, which I hadn't. He then told me that down the line I might have some problems and guess what, here I am with SSM. I'm going to check with a Chiropractor here and see if he can help. Problem, my insurance only covers 10 visits but if it helps me, I will sure let everyone know. I'm just glad to know I am not alone, thanks for your help, Jeanne:grouphug:

Silver 08-24-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tambab (Post 511461)
Hi Topsie,
I am 35, with 2 young kids, and I have palatal myoclonus.
I understand your sadness. I have had for 15 years and it is getting worse....
I am going to start on antiseizure meds, but I heard there are Doctors in Turkey treating this with radiofrequency.
I would love to talk to you to see if you have had any relief since posting in 2008.
Take care

HI, there is a web site very good info on radiofrequency, I went there because a doctor only miles from me is doing this. I changed my mind after hearing patients and what they are going through now after that surgery...Sorry I don't have the webpage exactly but is was easy for me to find...Silver...

Jeanne Spangler 09-16-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry.boggs (Post 534247)
I have been diagnosed as having segmental myoclonus. One neurologist said it was spinal myoclonus. I beblieve this started about 18 months ago with neck surgery. I ended up with a real bad case of MRSA. The wound had to be re-opened and all the hardware removed. The wound was left open and I had to take antibiotics intravenously for 3 months. One neurologist tried to treat it with medication and I am now waiting on an appointment to see another specialist. Anyone have any ideas about this.

I also have segmental myoclonus. after seeing my MRI, I could see where the damage was in my upper back and neck, due to when I was young, carrying egg baskets the wrong way. Meds didn't work, just made me spaced out all the time. I went to a Chiropractor, he tried to fix the damage but was unable to. I quit the Neurologist. I really don't know where I am going next but am still trying and if I find any help, I will be sure to let everyone know. This condition has prevented me from driving, bummer. It is a comfort to read the letters from everyone, even though there isn't many of us in this world. I do have restless legs, take Ropinirole every night, works great. I don't suffer from leg cramps or pain anymore. I also take Gabapentin at night too, helps too. Good luck to you, keep in touch. Jeanne:grouphug:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin • Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.31 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.7.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.