NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   I have got to know! (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/52379-i-have-got-to-know.html)

AfterMyNap 08-18-2008 02:43 PM

I have got to know!

Does anyone know the ACTUAL reason that meatloaf recipes call for milk? I never add the milk, just an extra egg.

I'm sure we can all make logical guesses, but *slamming hand on table* I want the TRUTH!

*preparing epsom salts soak for hand*

Curious 08-18-2008 02:47 PM

moisture.

it binds with the dry ingredients, like cracker or bread crumbs.

try it sometime. you can use water too.

( i even heard alton brown mention this.)

same thing with meatballs...add a splash a milk. :D

NaeNae 08-18-2008 03:00 PM

I'm with you Cin I have never added milk...actually this was the first I have heard of adding milk! I use seasoned stuffing mix and two eggs!

SandyC 08-18-2008 03:19 PM

I add milk but only because it tells me too. I make a meatloaf using oats and potatoes. Yummy!

weegot5kiz 08-18-2008 03:22 PM

same here Renee i always used an egg to bind it, never knew milk was involved.

Bannet 08-18-2008 03:46 PM

There's Milk in Meatloaf?:eek:

Blessings2You 08-18-2008 04:01 PM

No no no. When there's only a little ketchup left in the bottle, you put a little warm water in, swish it around to use up the rest of the ketchup, and THAT's what you use. Not milk!

Kitty 08-18-2008 05:03 PM

I have a recipe for meatloaf that calls for bread cubes (cut off the crust) soaked in milk. I think that creates a binding effect - but I always add egg which I thought was the "binder".

I have the best recipe for meatloaf that I'll post here in just a minute. It's even better than my Mom's recipe - which I thought was the best.

SandyC 08-18-2008 05:07 PM

I was reading several sites and couldn't get a definative answer but most say it's for moisture. Hmmm, I've had with and without and they were equally moist. :rolleyes:

Curious 08-18-2008 05:12 PM

:o now i want meatloaf.

Kitty 08-18-2008 05:17 PM

I just posted my recipe (Tennessee Meat Loaf) on the recipe sticky thread. Ya'll try it!! :)

tkrik 08-18-2008 06:08 PM

Trust me on this one, I am no Betty Crocker, Suzy Homemaker, Rachel Ray, etc. when it comes to cooking. However, I too have never heard of putting milk in meatloaf. Eggs and ketchup yes, but not milk.

DM 08-18-2008 07:08 PM

Is AMN bored???

Oh and yes, I have heard of putting a splash of milk in meatloaf.

My Dad made the best meatloaf ever and no one has his recipe...:mad: Now, that was great comfort food. (sigh)

FYI~ I got the Betty Crocker award my Senior yr. I wanted to get out of class w/my friends and took the test.

AfterMyNap 08-18-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM (Post 349723)
FYI~ I got the Betty Crocker award my Senior yr. .

Uh huh. And you admit this in public?

(methinks we now know the origin of the fabled tiara):icon_rolleyes:

DM 08-18-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfterMyNap (Post 349736)
Uh huh. And you admit this in public?

(methinks we now know the origin of the fabled tiara):icon_rolleyes:

BM = bite me

Next you'll be wanting to know if cottage cheese really has a leetle "cottage" built in it!! DOH!!!! :p

Kitty 08-19-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM (Post 349752)
Next you'll be wanting to know if cottage cheese really has a leetle "cottage" built in it!! DOH!!!! :p

You mean it doesn't??? :eek: Please, tell me you're jokin', DM. I'm not sure how many more "surprises" I can take.....

:p

NaeNae 08-19-2008 08:03 AM

LOL I am sensing a trend here....I think when AMN gets bored she heads for the pantry.....here's the meatloaf....I remember a canned bread thread and something about potted meat!!!

soxmom 08-19-2008 08:27 AM

[QUOTE=NaeNae;349989]LOL I am sensing a trend here....I think when AMN gets bored she heads for the pantry.....here's the meatloaf....I remember a canned bread thread and something about potted meat!!![/QUOTE

sshhhhhhhhhshhhhh....lets not revisit the potted meat.:vomit2:....
thank you................:thud:

Kitty 08-19-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxmom (Post 350011)
sshhhhhhhhhshhhhh....lets not revisit the potted meat.:vomit2:....
thank you................:thud:

Isn't that the truth!!?? That thread just went from bad to worse!! :eek: :p

NaeNae 08-19-2008 08:41 AM

OMG I wasn't thinking clearly when I typed the potted meat thing, now all I can envision is AMN making a potted meat loaf! ACK!

AfterMyNap 08-19-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NaeNae (Post 349989)
LOL I am sensing a trend here....I think when AMN gets bored she heads for the pantry.....here's the meatloaf....I remember a canned bread thread and something about potted meat!!!

LOL, and remarkably, EVERYONE had an opinion on it!!! :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO: :ROTFLMAO:

tkrik 08-19-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM (Post 349752)
BM = bite me

DM - what do you expect from a gnome. Of course she'll want to know where the cottage is. lol

I beg to differ with you all. AMN is not bored. She is just very creative with her thread topics, which by the way are not only entertaining they are educational as well.

CayoKay 08-19-2008 10:29 AM

I'm with San on this one, oatmeal, and eggs are my binders and fillers.

but the ketchup is only for decorating the top when serving.

yer posta-oughtta use a bit o'tomato SAUCE in the loaf itself.

:p

ewizabeth 08-19-2008 10:35 AM

We could combine the potted meat thread with this one.... How about Spam-loaf? :) With just a splash of milk. :vomit2:

shiney sue 08-19-2008 10:35 AM

amn

Hey Sugar,I think far to much as welll..It keeps me in the chair and off the floor..I never heard of milk in meatloaf ether,but Mom never taught me how
to cook,it was well it took me 3 days to admit to my husband why there was no food on the table.. I would say sorry I had a tummy acke,a semi hit
me on the way to the G. Store my mom called me on the phone and talked
and talked but not about cooking..

What was his favorit thing to eat why meatloaf,so I finally had to call his mean sister ( what's her name) she was a good cook,,just mean..She would say what's your probem now. Well I would cry,I don't know how to cook and
don't know ow to make meatloaf...Tell him you can't cook,why that man loves to cook,(Our mom taught us to cook,bla bla} well she never said milk
just eggs and ketchup and other spices,so on.

Now what in the world were we talking about??? I've been hungry for a slow cooker,diabetic s Fix and forget White Chili. I lost the book,not sure but
can't think if you put milk in it..Shoot Cindy.. Hugs to all Sue

AfterMyNap 08-20-2008 05:35 PM

Hiya, Sue! :Wave-Hello: Good to see ya'! This only started 'cuz I was looking at the meatloaf recipe to make sure I have everything. The milk thing has always thrown me and I refuse to use it. Honest! These lunatics are off on their own wild ride, I swear it, I never saw it coming!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewizabeth (Post 350113)
We could combine the potted meat thread with this one.... How about Spam-loaf? :) With just a splash of milk. :vomit2:

Okay, Wiz, that's it. You've gone too far this time. http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/sm...selbstmord.gif

Bannet 08-20-2008 08:03 PM

:Funny-Post::ROTFLMAO::Thats-Funneh::Thats-Funneh::rm_milk:

Riverwild 08-28-2008 09:41 PM

Y'all are missing the point heah!!

The MILK is so the COW will have something to DO!

Sheesh!!:p

yeahbut 09-06-2008 04:34 PM

meatloaf, scallop potatoes, peas, corn and blueberry muffins!

yum yum I am hungry now!

What's for dinner, AMN?

CayoKay 09-06-2008 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riverwild (Post 356933)
The MILK is so the COW will have something to DO!

or goat.

baaaaaaaaaaaa !!!

:D

*Leeloo and Lilah wave to all the NT'ers*

weegot5kiz 09-06-2008 05:49 PM

oh please stop KIDding har har har