NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Shoes/Boots for dogs? (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/52818-shoes-boots-dogs.html)

JD 08-24-2008 04:47 PM

Shoes/Boots for dogs?

I recently bought some boots for my dog. They aren't really tall (long) enough for him as he has long poodle legs. He's a godoodle.

They have to be long enough to pull up over his "ankles" so the velcro can be strapped and them not fall off. The bottom plastic foot also makes him slide on the tile. :(

I was looking at the muckluks for dogs online. But they are 4x the price of all the rest. Anyone have any experience with them?

I'm going to be taking my service dog into the theme parks in Orlando and want to have them for hot days and hot pavement. Also, after hurricanes hit, there is often debris about and I want something to protect his feet then.

Some of the other boots I've found are like asbestos and would be too hot for using here (might be great in snow country though.

I'm about to go to JOANN'S and buy the fabric and take it to a tailor!

Any ideas?

Doody 08-24-2008 05:40 PM

Boy, JD, I've never had any of those. I should check into that for my Bruna as well. I'd have to look online as well so you probably have seen the same things as I would find.

There's a nice Golden Doodle site with a forum I believe. Maybe those folks would be able to help. Here is the Godoodle link...

Oh, that's a general link but my be useful to you just the same. Here is a direct link to their forum.

:hug:

JD 08-26-2008 02:32 PM

Yes indeed a good site for sure! Thank you.
I've all but decided to custom make him boots. I have scrap leather from my scouting scraps, and yellow material (if I can find it, I recently had all my extra stuff put up in storage.) But even if I can't get the sewing machine working, I can make patterns and take the materials to a tailor I use, and have them stitch them together. LOL I even have strips of reflective tape to put on the velcro closing! None of the online boots are long enough for him. (He's long legs, regular poodle tall.) Thanks again!

SeamsLikeStitches 08-23-2010 02:41 PM

If you get them made... post a pic!

Hi there... I was driving home last night and saw a woman walking her Chihuahua... We have a little white Chihuahua.

There are actually two comments I have.
1. I LOVE the idea of the reflective strips on them. As She had a little vest on her doggy with reflective strips on it.. I wouldn't have seen the little guy except for his little vest he had on! GREAT idea!

2. Even though we live in California, we worry about his feet getting hot on the surface of the streets and getting stickers in his feet. Also, because he is an "indoor" dog, we hate it when he goes out into the mud, then runs in the house and jumps on the beds with is muddy paws!

Because our little guy is so small, we just put balloons on his feet in the winter to keep the mud off, but for the heat and the stickers it doesn't help.