NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Sinus Infection Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/52835-sinus-infection-question.html)

jowen214 08-24-2008 09:25 PM

Sinus Infection Question

So, I'm right in thinking that MS is making this sinus infection more difficult for me to get over, right?

I went last Thursday morning and got a shot....I could barely walk, my legs felt so heavy and weak. I slept the rest of the day and felt a little better when I got up. Now it's Sunday, and I still feel like doing nothing but laying around. Of course, I am sleeping even LESS than normal b/c I'm taking a decongestant 2xday, so even when I need to be sleeping, I can't sleep. (I think the last 2 nights, I've finally turned the light off around 5 a.m., only to get back up around 7 or 8!

Anyway, I'm also still coughing some. Thankfully, the cough medicine I got has helped w/that, but my chest hurts when I breathe in....like breathing in extremely cold winter air for a long time. Anyone have an idea as to whether that should concern me or not? Can a sinus infection turn into pneumonia? Can it turn so quickly? Am I just being paranoid b/c out of all the other crap I've dealt with since being dx'ed almost 3 years ago, this is the first sinus infection I've had? :D

Plus, my eye is still wonky. Ack, I'm falling apart....just call me Humpty. :wink:

TIA!

Bearygood 08-24-2008 09:30 PM

Yes, an untreated sinus infection can turn into something quite nasty like pneumonia. If you have a full blown sinus infection and not a cold you should be on antibiotics -- what you're taking won't get rid of sinusitis. Have you been to the doctor for this?

lady_express_44 08-24-2008 09:32 PM

More then likely it is the sinus infection that is causing the MS problems . . . not the other way around.

Sinus infections are very hard to treat, because they are very deep infections. It usually takes a very strong antibiotic to kill all the bacteria, especially if you have polyps or anything (that you are unaware of, but are a common cause of regular/ongoing sinus problems).

If I have an infection anywhere in my body, I get really run down and break out with all kinds of infection. Last year was like that, where I ignored a tooth infection and spent the whole year with one infection or another (plus the ignored tooth infection). The only time I felt ok was when I was on antibiotics, and for about a week after, until I finally got that tooth removed.

Infection ALWAYS gets my MS symptoms (and sometimes even an attack) going too.

Cherie

dmplaura 08-24-2008 09:33 PM

A sinus infection can most certainly move into other areas, including your lungs.

I'd get to a doctor asap if you suspect congestion in your lugs/chest. This was often the case with me when I was younger and suffered with many head colds. Get head cold, stuffiness would eventually subside in my sinuses, and I would begin having lung pain/wheezing, and more often than not, it would end up as bronchitis, which can turn into pneumonia.

Wave Beary, I see you already are on the case here too! Oddly this question is asked after we've been discussing sinus infections huh? :)

Edited to wave Cherie as well!

jowen214 08-24-2008 09:35 PM

Yes, I saw the dr. Thursday morning...got a sinus cocktail shot and a rx for abx, decongestant and cough med.

I wasn't sick for very long before I saw him, either. I had a little drainage starting Tuesday night, that got a little worse on Wednesday. By late Wed. afternoon, I was feeling terrible and called to get an appt. I went at 8 am Thurs. morning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearygood (Post 353992)
Yes, an untreated sinus infection can turn into something quite nasty like pneumonia. If you have a full blown sinus infection and not a cold you should be on antibiotics -- what you're taking won't get rid of sinusitis. Have you been to the doctor for this?

jowen214 08-24-2008 09:42 PM

Ahhh, I'd forgotten about bronchitis. I'm not running fever, so I'm assuming (famous last words, huh?) it's not pneumonia. Used to get bronchitis all the time, almost after every sinus infection. I guess maybe I should call the doc back in the morning to run this by him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmplaura (Post 353994)
A sinus infection can most certainly move into other areas, including your lungs.

I'd get to a doctor asap if you suspect congestion in your lugs/chest. This was often the case with me when I was younger and suffered with many head colds. Get head cold, stuffiness would eventually subside in my sinuses, and I would begin having lung pain/wheezing, and more often than not, it would end up as bronchitis, which can turn into pneumonia.

Wave Beary, I see you already are on the case here too! Oddly this question is asked after we've been discussing sinus infections huh? :)

Edited to wave Cherie as well!

dmplaura 08-24-2008 09:44 PM

Good luck Jennifer. I will pray for you that it's not bronchitis. I remember it being HORRIBLE, however it's been years since I have had it, thankfully.

Bearygood 08-24-2008 09:58 PM

Jennifer, it's actually the bronchitis (which can be caused by an untreated sinus infection) that can turn into pneumonia. If you don't feel better in a day or two, please call the doctor! I have (unfortunately) had a lot of experience with sinusitis. There were times my ENT had to take a culture to identify the specific bacteria and in turn, which antibiotic would be best to prescribe.

I hope you feel better soon! I know it's no fun. :( A bad sinus infection can completely wipe you out!! (Don't forget to drink plenty of water!)

Bearygood 08-24-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmplaura (Post 353994)

I know, LOL.