NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Looks like MS IS genetic... (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/53460-looks-ms-genetic.html)

Earl 09-02-2008 02:55 PM

Looks like MS IS genetic...

Interesting, I knew they were leaning on it for a while but now it looks like we have the strongest evidence that MS is genetic. I hope my mother does not find out, she already feels guilty that I have it. (her father had PPMS) and so do I.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/res...008/index.aspx

SandyC 09-02-2008 04:04 PM

Wow, for some reason this makes me sad because we have children. I aways knew it was a possibility but now we may know for sure. I went to the site to see if Jim could donate and he can't because his dad has passed away. I hope many here think about donating because it is history in the making. This could help so many including our children if it's proven.

Thanks for the info Earl.

SallyC 09-02-2008 06:48 PM

Man......they are working at a snail's pace on this disease. :(

CayoKay 09-02-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 360300)
Man......they are working at a snail's pace on this disease. :(

amen, Sally!

I participated in one of the first MS genetic studies, in the San Francisco Bay Area, geez, I think it was WAY back in 1992 or 1993...

my mother, my father, and four of my siblings, plus me, all did blood draws, and sent the vials in special boxes, via express mail.

I never heard what came of that study...

but yeah, even back then, they were pretty darn sure there was a genetic component to the disease, along with exposure to a triggering virus, living in certain lattitudes, and high sanitation standards.

they were particularly interested in our family, as my mother's aunt had MS (she passed away in the early 60s) and provided all the materials, postage, boxes, vials, and instructions.

my particular concern with MS and its genetic origins are due to the fact that my ex-husband's brother was dx'd with PPMS, 14 years ago, and is doing poorly.

this means that my son Benjamin has the "designer genes" on BOTH sides of his family.

I was told that the MS-carrying genes come from the mother's side, but still, it worries me, because it could mean the gene is reinforced in my son (he's now 24)

:(

Natalie8 09-02-2008 07:56 PM

Very interesting. I was diagnosed a year ago this Saturday. My mother was diagnosed 2 months before I was and she is 23 years older than me. My neuro told me that unfortunately I hit the mother lode. 1) genetic risk since my mother has MS 2) vitamin D deficiency 3) grew up in a cold climate 4) a severe case of mono a year and a half before my diagnosis (viral trigger perhaps). Sigh..... :(

If there was a study I would try to have my mother sign up with me to assist with genetic research.

Natalie8 09-02-2008 08:04 PM

Duh!!! I just read this more closely. I should try to participate in the study with my mother.

Natalie8 09-02-2008 08:10 PM

Double Duh!!! :confused: It's only for siblings. Can you say cog fog?

Twinkletoes 09-02-2008 08:26 PM

Since being dxd last year at age 52, I've asked all my aunts on both sides if they knew of anyone else in the family with MS. So far I haven't been able to find anyone.

I literally have 100 first cousins! You'd think someone besides me would have MS. *shrug*

Twinkletoes 09-02-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalie8 (Post 360355)
Very interesting. I was diagnosed a year ago this Saturday. My mother was diagnosed 2 months before I was and she is 23 years older than me. My neuro told me that unfortunately I hit the mother lode. 1) genetic risk since my mother has MS 2) vitamin D deficiency 3) grew up in a cold climate 4) a severe case of mono a year and a half before my diagnosis (viral trigger perhaps). Sigh..... :(

If there was a study I would try to have my mother sign up with me to assist with genetic research.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalie8 (Post 360366)
Duh!!! I just read this more closely. I should try to participate in the study with my mother.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalie8 (Post 360375)
Double Duh!!! :confused: It's only for siblings. Can you say cog fog?

Hey Natalie! You're using up all the thread!!! ;)

karousel 09-02-2008 08:47 PM

As far as anyone in my family knows I am the only one to ever have MS. My mother is going for an MRI soon for a different issue. That MRI should be able to answer the question I have had for so many years - does my mother have MS? She has so many other problems but so many of her sx's are similar to mine.

The horrible question of whether my dd will end up with MS is always in my mind.