NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Autism (https://www.neurotalk.org/autism/)
-   -   Aspergers Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/autism/53486-aspergers-syndrome.html)

kalamity_jane 09-02-2008 07:35 PM

Aspergers Syndrome

Hi all. :hug:

I have an 11 year old son with Aspergers and just wondered if anybody else here does?

I also have a 9 year old son whom the doctors think may have Tourettes or maybe Aspergers, still assessing.

Mefozzie 11-13-2008 09:29 PM

:) I am a teacher for children with Special Needs and one of my kids has Asperger Syndrome. I so love the kids in my class.

Nice to meet you!

Shannon

marleo 11-15-2008 10:19 PM

I have a 13 yo boy who has been diagnosed since about age eight. He looks different from many Aspies. He is literal. Great vocabulary and good at math but he is drawn toward being very animated and loud during stimulation-- especially in venues like the classroom or parties. Instead of withdrawing he tends to try to interact boldly (too boldly) with peers. He gets very loud and disruptive in class.

Stimulants tend to calm him down in these environments. The stimulants cause tics, sometimes painful tics. We have had a time balancing medication with behavior.

Mefozzie 11-20-2008 09:00 PM

Marleo.. have you tried mt. dew? It's wild what we use in the classroom these days. I never would have thought to try it, but we have one kiddo that it acutally works with.

Good luck!
Shannon

Squirrel 02-19-2009 12:21 PM

Also Have Aspergers Syndrome

I have Aspergers Syndrome, it is hard for my family to understand me, thinking that i should just 'fit in' with the world. It is great that today, when i started in this thingy, that i should find your posts//what ever you call them, about Aspergers Syndrome. why do people have any type of autism? what couses it?

kicker 02-23-2009 10:22 AM

Hi,
I was a Special Ed. teacher, always looked for answers to "why", but most answers not out there. Like my Ms - just happens. Dealt a bad hand - there are worse, there are better.

Mefozzie - not sure, but a psychologist told me his therory was Coffee (or as in your case Mt. Dew (both HIGH in caffeine) ) for Kids with ADD with hyperactivity and poor behavior control "gates", the caffeine helped raise their "gates". Much like a hyperactive student might take Ritalin or another stimulant to help him with behaviors. IMHO operant conditioning (rewards for correct behavior and awareness of what behavior needs extinguishing) in tandem with this works well.

A child (or anyone) needs to know what the boundaries are, what is behavior wanted, etc. Nobody should have to figure this out with cues, often not understood. Societal rules can be too subtle for some.

Buffheart 03-04-2009 07:36 PM

I was diagnosed with Aspergers about a year and a half ago, but I don't believe it. I used to be really shy and attached to my mom. But now I am not as shy. I know that being really shy and uncomfortable around people is a trait, and some people develop strong bonds with certain other people. Maybe I don't know enough?

CandyJ 02-26-2012 11:12 PM

My son

My 11 yr old has bn diagnosed approx 6 yrs ago the public school in my area could not handle him so we put him in a autism behavior school. Well after 2 yrs of bn in this program we are thinking of re-enrolling him in public school but we do not want to stick him back on meds, we would like the school to incorporate some of the programs the other school used. If anyone has any advice plz plz feel free to respond. thank you.

jana 02-27-2012 01:51 PM

Do you know your rights under the Special Education laws (IDEA)? When the M-Team meets and writes the IEP, you will have input about your child's needs and how they will be met by the school. SPEAK UP!!!

Pidge_Jen 07-24-2012 04:15 PM

My Dad was recently diagnosed with Aspergers. Came as a bit of a shock initially but now I can see he fits all the behaviour patterns.