NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Avonex (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/54025-avonex.html)

aprilfools 09-10-2008 07:56 PM

Avonex

I was jsut wondering if someone could share some advice on Avonex, I am being switch from Copaxone which besides the welts I havent had any problems. I know with Avonex there is alot of side effects any advice on how to head these off if possible???

Thakns
Lisa

BBS1951 09-10-2008 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aprilfools (Post 365898)
I was jsut wondering if someone could share some advice on Avonex, I am being switch from Copaxone which besides the welts I havent had any problems. I know with Avonex there is alot of side effects any advice on how to head these off if possible???

Thakns
Lisa

I am no fan of Avonex. BUt here is my advice. Start off with 1/4 dose first week, then half dose the next week and build up to 3/4 dose the following week and full dose the last week.

Be sure to premedicate with the Advil, and then take another two advils 4 to 6 hours later and then a third dose another 4 to 6 hours or so. Then take it the next day if you need to.

Stay very well hydrated on shot day and day after.

Lay low on shot day: dont run around doing errands. Don't exercise on shot day.

The mix it yourself powder form has less severe side effects than the prefilled form of avonex. Biogen doesnt know why, nor are they researching why. It's just reality.

Keep a list of the Lot numbers of your avonex and save the box tear offs with the lot numbers just in case there is another recall of Avonex like in 2004.

If you can, stick with Copaxone instead.

Mayo Clinic rarely prescribes Avonex. They say its for milder forms of MS and they do not treat milder, less aggressive MS. They prescribe C, Rebif, Betaseron instead of Avonex. I do not know their stance on Tysabri though.

jackD 09-10-2008 09:50 PM

maximizing INTERFERON-Beta (AVONEX) effectiveness

It takes Avonex about 6 months to become fully effective. Use a smaller needle size. Try some EMLA cream type stuff to numb injection area. I was on Avonex for over 10 years. The side effects for the mix yourself were gone for me after 4 weeks.

Here is my posting on.."maximizing INTERFERON-Beta effectiveness" on another MS Board. It is THREE pages long.

http://www.msrefugees.proboards82.co...ay&thread=3770

jackD

P.S I was pleasently surprised to find my Doctor Christopher T. Bever, Jr at the Maryland Center for Multiple Sclerosis, 22 S. Greene St., N4W49, Baltimore, MD seems to feel that the MMP-9 approach may have some merit. His editorial is very interesting.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~jdalton/E...ver-mmp-ms.doc

doydie 09-10-2008 10:06 PM

I have never had an ounce of trouble with my Avonex, been on it since '97. I was never on partial dose, which by the way has to come from your doctor. Yes, at first I had some flu like symptoms but I don't anymore. I probably had then for about a month. I take two generic Aleves one hour before I take my shot. I do take it out of the refrigerator and it doesn't hurt as much. Sometimes it doesn't hurt at all. Good luck.

hjmom 09-10-2008 10:09 PM

I've been on Avonex for over 2 years now. It's not too bad. You've already received good advice - hydrate, pre-medicate and post-medicate. Excercising the day of the shot seems to help me, so I'm not sure about that. I take my shot before bed and take two Advil PM's, makes me sleep wonderfully. Usually in the morning I have to take another two Advil(but not PM's this time), but sometimes I'm totally fine the next morning. I haven't figured out why it is worse sometimes than others. Good news is I've had good follow-up MRI's since starting Avonex. Good luck with your Avonex journey!

aprilfools 09-11-2008 01:42 PM

I see there is some mixed feeling here.. Thanks for all of the advise.. Good and Bad. I need to hear everthing.

SRKW 09-11-2008 05:06 PM

No problems here

Hi April,

I've been taking Avonex 11 years. So no one stays on a therapy that long if they don't like it.

I think you've gotten good advise, just don't be scared off by any negative comments.

While I've done very well with the treatment, someone else has not. That only means you have to try it for yourself and form your opinion. We are all different this could great for you or not so hot.

I was really scared in the beginning giving myself a shot. But once I got over the fear its been for the most part easy. Of course I still would rather take a pill any day then a shot. But I also long ago gave up on the idea that Avonex would ever come in a pill.

Hope it goes as well for you as it did for me. :p

hjmom 09-11-2008 05:30 PM

I LOVE the fact that Avonex is only once a week. I've had some slightly elevated liver enzymes and been offered to switch to copaxone, but I don't want to take a once a day shot:eek: So far, they have not been elevated enough to come off the Avonex.

BBS1951 09-11-2008 07:45 PM

Are you being switched off copax because of the welts?

aprilfools 09-11-2008 08:05 PM

No I am being switch of the copaxone because my neuro doesnt think it is working for me.. Not having the welts anymore is just a benefit for me.. I had a really hard time with them and I never even mentioned that to him..