NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Another vent about fatigue & request for advice (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/54513-vent-fatigue-request-advice.html)

Jodylee 09-18-2008 08:11 AM

Another vent about fatigue & request for advice

Last week I signed up to volunteer for my Presidential candidate of choice. This isn't a politcal thread so I'm not gonna say who :D. Well, I've been making phone calls (and getting hung up a lot LOL), setting up a fundraising page, etc. The problem is all of the meetings, events, and parties are in the evening, sigh. I am a useless piece of meat by the end of the day no matter how much energy I conserve. I've taken Provigil which makes me feel like I drank 40 cups of coffee even at the lowest dose :eek:. Amantadine does nothing for me. I'll be seeing my Neuro soon so I'm hoping you guys can give me some ideas about what other meds I can try. I've tried vitamins (various combinations and forms of them with no luck). As you all know, it's extremely difficult to get non-MSers to understand the severity of our fatigue. My fellow volunteers say the usual things 'oh, I know just how you feel', yeah, right SURE you do, is what I want to say. I'm really missing out on doing things that I know I would enjoy. It sucks. I want to canvass in my neighborhood but that is out of the question because of the heat here. Okay, I'm done whining now :). Thanks for reading this :). It's so great to have people in my life that understand :D.

DM 09-18-2008 09:36 AM

Hey J! Well, as much as I admire your'e volunteering for something you believe in~~ there is a BUT. *isn't there always???* I think you should ONLY do what you have the time and energy to do. Tell the committee members that you'd like to offer your volunteer services, BUT that w/your situation, you are limited in what you can do physically.

I really understand how you feel and I myself, hate it when I have to bow out of things that I really want to do. BUT, (I know, that word again) Is it really worth your health and possibly sending you into a flare? You have had such a stressful year and I worry about you.

This isn't meant as preaching to you, dear J; it's just concern. I say, do what you can and let others who have the time and energy do the legwork. You can't blame a girl for trying and like I said~ I admire your efforts.

(whisper in my ear who your'e candidate is) BIG GRIN!!

take care Joel~ we only have ONE YOU!!!

braingonebad 09-18-2008 09:42 AM

Fatigue sucks. If there was one thing and only one I could get the symptom fairy to take away, that would be it.

Before I had any meds for it, and I tried every other thing (like you, the vitamins, etc) I tried peppermint tea. It really did help.

I had luck with provigil for about 2 yrs when my ins would pay, then it stopped working. I still go back to the tea when the fatigue gets bad. It can't hurt and it's cheap- 3 bucks at the grocery store.

Another thing, keeping my cholesterol down - mine goes crazy high.

Good luck.

And yeah, I know. They are sooo tired. Right. :rolleyes:

:hug:

tkrik 09-18-2008 09:52 AM

Joelle - First I have to say I am so proud of you for doing this. How awesome!!!
I am glad to hear that you found something to "get involved" with.

Provigil did nothing for me and in my quest to stay off of as many meds as possible, I resort to my naps to help me through the day. I know that doesn't help you but it works for me. It is the best, most natural "drug" I am taking. LOL

Have you checked out Punks thread? http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread54254.html It seems to work for him and others have contributed as well.

Again, I am so proud of you and happy for you despite the fatigue.:hug:

Jodylee 09-18-2008 11:27 AM

Thanks everyone :). DM, don't worry about me so much :D. I'm doing quite a bit better lately :D. It just stinks that when you REALLY want to do something this disease robs you of the chance. Oh, DM, you know who my guy is GIGANTIC GRIN. I've left hints, tehe, elsewhere. I'll give you a clue: his father-in-law had MS. I'm gonna try the tea Brain, it can't hurt, that's for sure. Thanks Tricia, I wish naps did it for me. I wake up more out of it than before I went to sleep. It does feel great to be doing what I can for this cause because it is soooo important to me. DUH!!! I didn't even see Punk's thread 'smack in the head', LOL!

DM 09-18-2008 03:16 PM

Hey Joelle~ Good answer!

And, just so you know~ I'm still going to worry about you.

{{{{{Joelle}}}}}

weegot5kiz 09-18-2008 03:37 PM

I mainline the stuff:yikes: just kidding

sorry about the fatigue Joelle, it do stink a lot, the robbing us of what we could do is another one of those adaptation steps we all must take, i still have trouble with it, think its always gonna drive us goofy, good luck, in your endeavor, and dont be so hard on yourself:hug:

SandyC 09-18-2008 04:38 PM

Oh Joelle, how can you post something about yourself and not expect us to come on and give you momma advice? :D You've been through so much and we just don't want to see or hear that you feel like you've let anyone down, especially yourself.

My best advice is to only do what you can, simple. That's what I do when I can't be in fifty places at once. When the boys were in school I couldn't volunteer for anything in the future because Jim could be sick that day, etc. So, I volunteered to bake and make phone calls. I offered up my skills in designing programs and such and they loved that. LOL

So, I think you should do what you can for the big man and tell the others that there will be times you can't show up. Ask that someone call you and fill you in.

Now, :hug: :D :p

Jodylee 09-19-2008 10:14 AM

Thanks all :)! Of course you're all correct about everything, as usual :D. Nobody is harder on me than ME. I gotta cut that out before I drive myself to drink, NOT :D. Maybe a little more cussing than usual, but I'll keep that to myself :Halo: :p.

Riverwild 09-19-2008 10:18 AM

I got nuffin' but hugs for ya, J. You already got "mothered":p

Hope things get better soon!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: