NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Removing Mercury Fillings (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/54614-removing-mercury-fillings.html)

Floridagal 09-19-2008 07:30 PM

Removing Mercury Fillings

Hello, I was wondering if I should have my old fillings replaced, since I've been reading about how toxic they are. I have many. Has anyone had their old fillings taken out and have you noticed any improvements in your general health, and PD? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks! FG:)

reverett123 09-19-2008 09:01 PM

I did about two years ago

As to noticing a difference, I'm afraid that there has been so much bakground chatter in my life that I can't say one way or another. And the value to me was to prevent it getting worse as the amalgams aged as well. I would do it again is the best I can tell you.

If you do it, find someone who knows what they are doing or you will end up taking on a whole new load of mercury. They should be talking in terms of a rubber dam or sheet across the back of your throat to catch anything that escapes, a positive air flow so that you don't breathe vapors, and breaking the amalgams as much as possible instea of drilling them away. Otherwise, look for another dentist.

Max19BC 09-20-2008 12:42 AM

I did it about 7 years ago.

Besides having a dentist remove your amalgam SAFELY, do it over a period of time, not all at once. I had quite a bit of old amalgam fillings, around half a dozen or so. Some had to be replaced with crowns, I've stretch this out over a year. It was my dentist that suggested this. Even with all the precautions, he wanted to limit my exposure to the released mercury over time.
I'm not sure if removing all the amalgam in my mouth helped any. My pd back then was still progressing even after all the amalgam was removed. I just wanted that mercury out, I figured it couldn't hurt. I can't remember where I've read about mercury fillings & pd. but it was enough to convince me to spend a couple of thousand to get it out.

Happy drilling.
Max

karenkp 09-20-2008 10:43 PM

PD & Amalgams

I am a PD patient who spent lose to 30 years working in dental offices. I am still unsure about the relationship of Mercury and Neurological diseases. Back in my younger days, there were no gloves, no masks, direct handling of mercury and no special ventilation during amalgam removal. It all seems pretty ignorant when you look back on it, we all knew it was toxic if you broke a thermometer, but squeeze the mercury out of the amalgam to make it the right consistency, with our bare hands? It was done all the time.

For a time I blamed that dental history on my PD but if that is the case why do I know dozens of teachers with PD and no dental professionals? Why did I test fine for Mercury and high in aluminum?

It has always been my belief that when it comes time to replace fillings, have it done with a more contemporary material. If you don't have insurance doing it in one fail swoop will be very costly as it will be even if you have good insurance.

Karen

Floridagal 09-23-2008 05:12 PM

Thankyou

Thanks much for the responses, now I have to get busy and look into getting this done. FG