NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Going back to work (probably in October/November) (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/54744-probably-october-november.html)

dmplaura 09-22-2008 11:01 AM

Going back to work (probably in October/November)

I'm so EXCITED!! I called my case worker (LTD, or long term disability) today, and I told her I just want to get back to work LOL!

She told me my neuro reported to her that I was experiencing 'dizziness and light headedness'. I explained that I connected this to Amitriptyline, and I have since stopped that med and I am no longer experiencing this.

So, she's going to have a rehabilitation person come by at the beginning of October to meet with me, and find out what 'accommodations' I'll need for work. I already know I'm asking for a smaller keyboard (I have such tiny fingers, and the one at work is MASSIVE, and numb fingers don't work well with massive reaching for keys on a keyboard haha!) and may suggest a more 'sensitive' mouse, so I'm moving my right arm less around on my desk.

Going to see as well about shifts. I'll probably need to adjust my Copaxone injection time to one that will be after my shift end time. And I'll definitely need to be on a 'static' shift, meaning... hours that never fluctuate day to day.

I can't wait. I miss my work friends, and they too miss me. Plus I hear there's a back log of work to do. Haha! Least I'll be able to keep busy going back in there :)

To give you an idea... I went off work in February 2007, and it took me until March 2008 for my MS diagnosis, then until now to get enough Copaxone and stability in my 'everyday' life to be stable with the MS. I relapsed after my initial diagnosis once in May (trying to sell my house, stress is a real killer) and I've been stable or improving since.

I certainly didn't want my 2 year out of work on LTD anniversary to arrive this February. Yikes!

ewizabeth 09-22-2008 12:15 PM

Congrats!! :) I'd be excited too!

weegot5kiz 09-22-2008 12:22 PM

well this is good Laura, I hope, will an 8 hour day be too much? Have you been keeping yourself busy at home for 8 hrs a day, a few days a week? Will they allow you personal leave when you have, that is if you have, a relapse? Not trying, to pop your balloon, just making sure you are double checking this off in your head, might be good to write down you own concerns so you don't accidentally forget to inquire about them, just don't want it to back fire on you, congrats:hug:,

Vonn07 09-22-2008 12:48 PM

hey Laura ...

I was considering finding a job (got terminated for being off too long from my last job) ... and I felt good (the cooler weather is better for me) ... but, I was doing stuff at home, and the stress sx were less and less ...

but, my PCP didn't want me to continue pursuing a job - because of the added stress, and that I was able to control it by staying home - having my own routine ...

about the copaxone shots ... I found that when I get up, clean up, shower and shoot works for me ... right from the get-go ...

don't know if I made any sense .. best to you if you can make it work ... just don't overdo it, or push yourself too much, promise??;)

SallyC 09-22-2008 12:49 PM

Good for you, Laura. I wish you well, with the transition..:hug:

dmplaura 09-22-2008 01:10 PM

Frank,

My employer is 'unique' in that, they employ several people with disabilities. When I was diagnosed, first thing I did after calling my parents was call my manager at work and tell her. She told me, "Laura, if you need 6 more months of recovery time, take them".

They are well aware of what MS can do (relapses) and yes, they will accommodate this. In fact, I knew at least 1 person at work who also has MS before I found out that I have MS.

When I told my neurologist where I work, his words were "Never quit that job". Since finding out they're covering my drugs 100% now, and they've outright paid certain visits that I would have had to otherwise pay myself, I've seen what the company can do for it's employees. November will be my 7th year 'anniversary' working there, however I have been out since February of 07, as I mentioned earlier. ;) Might affect my 'overall' tenure a bit!

I work at a desk, typing. My MS symptoms I experience have been 100% sensory/vision (the vision is blurry vision at range, looking at a PC monitor, I don't have this). The only symptom I had that doesn't fall into the sensory/vision category entirely was vertigo, and it is possible that I had BPPV (I have not experienced vertigo since last year), or another ear infection that could have caused this at the time.

So I've been extremely fortunate in that, I can still perform my job as I did before. Sensory symptoms are not fun (lots of burning and tingling at times, pain aspect there), but they're manageable now. I don't experience fatigue like some do. So I imagine I can perform my job as I did before. I miss the challenge!

Edit: My job itself was really stress free for me. I had the freedom to get up, move around, bounce ideas off coworkers. I wasn't talking to people on the phone, I was answering emails from clients (for a bank here in Canada), so I really enjoyed working. :)

yeahbut 09-22-2008 02:14 PM

Good for you Laura! I am happy for you if that is what you want!

FranksAngel 09-22-2008 02:34 PM

way to go Laura ... i hope everything works out for you ... am glad to hear that the company you work for will accomidate your needs ... keep us posted on how your doing

dmplaura 09-22-2008 03:34 PM

Thanks all! Now the wait... *drums fingers* *taps toes*

MSCherokee 09-22-2008 03:52 PM

That's wonderful news Laura! I agree with your neuro - you are so fortunate to work for someone who gets it. :)