NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Survivors of Suicide (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/)
-   -   Support... (https://www.neurotalk.org/survivors-of-suicide/54777-support.html)

who moi 09-22-2008 09:34 PM

Support...

what is it?

what does it mean??

When I look around...(in this here them forum. :) )

the answer is so clear....

I can't say enough

I can't thank enough

this is one of those nights that I am feeling...ODD.....

Dam is about to burst but not sure what to say kind of night....

Moss is nicely tucked away and in dream land... :)

now, I am here...reading....

and....loving all the SUPPORT I am seeing....

today, I walked by a lady...she really teased me...I mean, teased me right infront of me...mocked me physically....

now, I know, I shouldn't let it bother me...I don't anymore....really....

I mean, YES, it bothers me but kinda don't....

I did tried to explain to her about me....she didn't really apologized and diverted the topic and walked away....

it was a place of business, I am sure I will bump into her in the future...

I walked away OK...but still...the past resurfaces and then I thought to myself....NO matter what I accomplish in life...a lot of folks will judge me for my appearance....LOL

Not sure if it was relief or a bit of sadness, but a real nice reality check...

maybe a bit of both...

it's good to come here...and see you all, through this screen....where no one can see me....you know me for who I am....I know you for who you are...(hopefully, LOL)

ahhhhhh....

there is a plaque here hanging in our dining room given to us from Doody for our weeding(Wedding? LOL)

"Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much"

YES, YES, and YES...

not only in my physical home...

but here in my cyber home...

thank you...I am getting a callus from hitting the thanks button and still feel like I can't thank enough...:)

Twinkletoes 09-22-2008 09:44 PM

Just because we're older and wiser, doesn't necessarily make it any easier when mean people attack.

So sorry this happened to you, Moi. :( Sending hugs for healing. :hug:

Keep your chin up.

Next time you see her, jab her in the nose and tell her its a message from your friend, Twink! :D

who moi 09-22-2008 10:02 PM

LOL twinkie...

well, I really try to NOT let it bother me anymore...it is just that when she was "mirror-ing" my tics...

I was a bit shocked at first, she was an elderly lady that looked "sophisticated"....at first, I knew that she didn't understand so I actually smiled at her...

but then, she won't let me get a word in and just kept on mocking me....
I couldn't walk away cause of where we were...

then I calmly explained it to her...I think she might've been embarassed but too proud to apologize...that's OK...

looks can be deceiving....LOL

oh well, that's OK....I guess I will never get used to it....and I am not too worry about it....I get looks all the time and I usually just ignore them....this shall pass...

:)

((((BIG HUGS))))

"THANKS!!" :D

PS, since you have "TOES" in your name, can I just "TOE JAM" her? LOLOL

Burntmarshmallow 09-22-2008 10:53 PM

moi :hug: if another could walk in one of our pairs of shoes....:rolleyes:
i get confuised i try not to judge another yet I know i am judged every day by many diffrent things. yet i try to treat others how i wish to be treated and most times it does not work... if you get what i meen to say. I hope you have much better day tomorrow. and know we all love you here at n.t.
by you not judging her that makes you or moi :D the bigger wiser person. well least i believe that. now look ya got bmw outta lurking in the corner .i better get back there before the sky falls. hugs and peace to you and da wife
bmw

who moi 09-22-2008 11:03 PM

awwww...sweet BMW...

((((BIG HUGS))))

thank you...

yes, I know what you mean. :)

I can't say that I was never judgemental...but I think this is where I thank whomever that gave me this "thing" that it has made me learn very hard to NOT judge...I try to judge myself first...

but then others tell me I am too hard on myself (LOLOLOL, tongue in cheek, tongue in cheek...LOL)

let twinkie know who's judging you...we'll send her toe jam to those mean people.... LOL

((((BIG HUGS))))

I am really OK...I came here and I smiled....knowing you guys are here... :D

but, to get you outta lurking!! I am so honored!!!!!

who moi 09-23-2008 12:08 AM

this song is great, no matter what language it's in! :D

"Hakuna Matata"

tovaxin_lab_rat 09-23-2008 12:44 AM

You are a special person, moi, and don't ever forget that. :hug:

who moi 09-23-2008 01:14 AM

(((((BIG HUGS)))))) Cheryl,

you too!!!

thanks sharing your wonderful photos with us on all your trips, it's great to see the world through you! :D

snoozie 09-23-2008 03:21 AM

Oh Moi, I am so sorry that some sourpussed old fart did that too you. I hope she falls and can't get up...ok no I don't because that would be mean.:p

Let it go my friend, let it go...so the song "Dust in the Wind" is popping in my head so I am going to link it for you...don't know why it popped in there but well you know.:p Besides Kansas is so cool :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbdP7sq0w8

My daughter has this weird skin lesion on her chest (sort of by where a necklace would hang) anyway it is all red and swollen and this lady comes up to her at school and asks her in a mean way if it is a hickey??? So what does my quick thinking smart dd do??? She says " no it is skin cancer" and puts her hand over it and just looks at the lady making her feel very very small. She said the ladies face dropped and she walked away very quickly. Maybe she will think twice next time she wants to make a snide comment to someone. In case your wondering we are seeing a infectious disease doc next over this thing. But my point is that some people need to learn to do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

So I am sending you a hug :hug::hug::hug: because you are special ...Sue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omz-tTop4yE

I can't believe I still remember the words to barney songs, I was singing along (in english of course) the the akuna matata song. Funny how I can remember stuff like this but don't know where I put something that is much more important. LOL

So have I taken your mind somewhere else or do I have to bring out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2lEk4PQIs4

Ok Ok I have rambled on and on and on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuPgWPhu40

snoozie 09-23-2008 03:23 AM

stupid machine that will not think for itself would not let me add this last link :p:p:p

no really I am done now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETI-YNRmhFY

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

who moi 09-23-2008 03:29 AM

(((((BIG HUGS)))))

you're special also!

LOL this wasn't supposed to be my whiney post...I was trying to point out how awesome you guys are...LOLOL

thanks for all the links.... :D

and alrighty to DD...LOL I wish I was that quick on my feet...:D

I am not sure what I was feeling tonight...I don't feel myself, if that makes any sense....

you folks are awesome folks..awesome awesome folks...

thank you...

I need to get up in 2 hours....guess I'd better go catch some Zzzzzzzzz's

snoozie 09-23-2008 03:40 AM

I hope you are not "feeling yourself" :p:o:p:o:p

Go to bed young man!!!

DMACK 09-23-2008 03:45 AM

Moi

I had the pleasure about 6 years ago of supporting an 17 year old man by the name of Michael to college two days a week, and one night a week to the local swimming baths.
Michael has Tourettes and had over 30 physical tics of which five or six were violent jerking movements that could not be missed [head jerking, arm raising and jaw stretching to name three] He also had vocal tics, where he randomly shouted out random words, some were swear words.

Do you know what amazed me about this young man was his ability to ignore the spiteful comments of random strangers. He told me "when you've heard one Tourettes joke you have heard them all",

I found it to be me flaring up in anger at his defense, he would just smile at me and say 'CHILL'.
At college most accepted Michael for who he was and not what they saw or heard. Most abuse came from strangers whilst going from A to B.

The lady in your work may have appeared Sophisticated, but appearances definitely can deceive. Wisdom does not always don a nice business suit or speak well. Ignorance and lack of education only appears when people open their mouths.

Moi i leave you with my favourite quote:

"A wise man adapts himself to circumstances as water shapes itself to the vessel that contains it".
Chinese Proverb

David

Koala77 09-23-2008 06:32 AM

David, thank you so much for that post. I'm so pleased that you shared the experiences of Michael with us.

We have more than one special person here on NT with TS, and many more with other conditions that elicit bias just as badly as Michael did, through no fault of their own.

I sometimes wish that I had same strength as Michael has, but I guess in lots of ways I'm luckier than some. The only visible disability I have is to do with my mobility. I use a cane now, but even people much older than me tend to look down their noses at me now when I'm out. It's as if they don't believe I need a cane, so they give me some very strange looks indeed, and you've no idea how nasty some people's looks can be when some-one as young as me... :D ... puts up that disabiltiy sticker on the car so I can use a car space closer to the place I need to go.

I didn't mean to get side tracked here, but I did want to say thank you to David, and to tell Moi and others in similar positions, to hold their heads up high. There is no need to be ashamed! There is no need to get annoyed!

Wouldn't it be nice if people in the "normal" world, were just that little bit more understanding ?

who moi 09-23-2008 12:43 PM

David, thank you sooooo much for sharing this inspiring story...

it really helps me and I am sure others....

I was really OK with it, for the most part. I usually try to explain I have TS if I have the time.

the thing with this lady was that she was so IN MY FACE about it....LOL

yeah, I know looks can be deceiving...I was more shocked than anything at her impertinence.

she doesn't work with me but if she ever become one of my clients, I will still treat her with respect...

I don't let the teases get to me anymore, well, not as much...but it was really something when it was about 1 foot away from me like that....LOL

I wished I was more like Michael when I was 17...it took me maybe another 13years before I was able to become a 2/3 of your Michael...I think I am about 3/4 of your Michael, give or take...

it is so good to read about this, David...thank you so much for sharing it. It inspires me and I am going to try to get that other 1/4 "Michael" :)

Vicky's son, Scott, is also an exceptional young man with TS, I've had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago...he is a bit of goofball, like moi...

yet, he handles situations much better than I did when I was his age....

I am a late bloomer....LOL

((((BIG HUGS))))

thanks so much, once again! I am honored that you took all these time to type this out as I know you have tremendous pain....and...I am just very touched that you did...thank you....

btw, that's one of my favorite quotes also...and I'll add on to it one of my favorite stories:

" A young man went to the Daoist master to lessons of the "way"

the young man says to the master, 'master, I've traveled from afar to seek the way, how do I achieve it?'

the master said to him: go fetch a bucket of water

the young man was baffled but did it anyways.

when he came back, the master asked him to get a bowl of water

the young man, still baffled, went to get a bowl of water

the master asked again, 'go get a glass of water'

he did, then he was asked to get water in a basin, water in a bamboo holder, water in various apparatus...

finally, the young man got angry and said to the master, "what's all this about? I am NOT your slave, what's all this non sense??!"

then he turned around and was ready to leave.

The master halted him and asked him to look at the different apparatus and asked him: "what do you see?"

"Water......everywhere...."

take a drink, the master asked the young man....

he did...

"from the time you swallowed the water to the time it reaches your stomach to the time you pass it out, would that water be the same?"

the young man said,"no...."

the master pointed at all the water in the different containers and asked, "do these water not take the shape of their containers?"

the young man said, "yes..."

the master than pointed to the river down the road and asked, what is the shape of the water like over there?

the young man looked at the river, looked at the apparatus, looked within...

he reached enlightenment......

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMACK (Post 374316)
Moi

I had the pleasure about 6 years ago of supporting an 17 year old man by the name of Michael to college two days a week, and one night a week to the local swimming baths.
Michael has Tourettes and had over 30 physical tics of which five or six were violent jerking movements that could not be missed [head jerking, arm raising and jaw stretching to name three] He also had vocal tics, where he randomly shouted out random words, some were swear words.

Do you know what amazed me about this young man was his ability to ignore the spiteful comments of random strangers. He told me "when you've heard one Tourettes joke you have heard them all",

I found it to be me flaring up in anger at his defense, he would just smile at me and say 'CHILL'.
At college most accepted Michael for who he was and not what they saw or heard. Most abuse came from strangers whilst going from A to B.

The lady in your work may have appeared Sophisticated, but appearances definitely can deceive. Wisdom does not always don a nice business suit or speak well. Ignorance and lack of education only appears when people open their mouths.

Moi i leave you with my favourite quote:

"A wise man adapts himself to circumstances as water shapes itself to the vessel that contains it".
Chinese Proverb

David

who moi 09-23-2008 12:46 PM

thank you, Anne :)

it's a good reminder that we all have things to deal with...and that we all have to try to be kind to one another....

(((((BIG HUGS)))))

thank you all once again for posting....

I am in awe of the supports here....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koala77 (Post 374340)
David, thank you so much for that post. I'm so pleased that you shared the experiences of Michael with us.

We have more than one special person here on NT with TS, and many more with other conditions that elicit bias just as badly as Michael did, through no fault of their own.

I sometimes wish that I had same strength as Michael has, but I guess in lots of ways I'm luckier than some. The only visible disability I have is to do with my mobility. I use a cane now, but even people much older than me tend to look down their noses at me now when I'm out. It's as if they don't believe I need a cane, so they give me some very strange looks indeed, and you've no idea how nasty some people's looks can be when some-one as young as me... :D ... puts up that disabiltiy sticker on the car so I can use a car space closer to the place I need to go.

I didn't mean to get side tracked here, but I did want to say thank you to David, and to tell Moi and others in similar positions, to hold their heads up high. There is no need to be ashamed! There is no need to get annoyed!

Wouldn't it be nice if people in the "normal" world, were just that little bit more understanding ?

da duck 09-23-2008 02:29 PM

I have a son that people sometimes stare at...he's different. He knows that he is different. He wishes that he weren't. BUT....someone said something to him this summer...
someone that he loves and admires...who has TS and a couple of cats...who has a wonderful wife and a bright, shining, loving sprit...
someone who said something that has helped my son understand himself better. Something that made him feel more "normal" about not being normal.
someone who does not know that, because of what he said, has changed the whole person that my son is...
he draws now.
he writes.
he shows off his work.
he says that he is the best that HE can be...and that the people who count love him the most.
he says a lot of things, BUT
he won't say what that wonderful friend said to him....
and I don't want to know what it was...I only want my friend to know what he has been for my son. A true friend. An inspiration and a soft place to fall.
One stupid old woman is no comparison to any of that.

PS....blue footed boobies!!!!! I love the name, I love the bird...I love the picture

jaded2nite 09-23-2008 05:30 PM

Ignorant old broad!!!

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

((((Moi))))

tamiloo 09-23-2008 06:26 PM

Moi...you should have called me! Thats what a big sis is for!:hug: http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...ys/36_5_71.gif http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...ys/4_14_61.gif
Oh, my Moi, I'm so sorry because of this womens lack of knowlege or heart that she was just "stupid". I hope she never has to face challenges even a fraction of what any of us experience.

Hey, guy we love you!! As the Olhipie says to me...I love your guts!!

EEEeeeek...I have 12 days til I go under the knife...back surgery...black and decker. I can hear the drills now!!!:eek:

DM 09-23-2008 07:00 PM

Hello my friend, Muwah! So sorry I didn't see this earlier; I haven't been online much today. (no excuse) I am sorry for the pain that an ignorant person left you with, but while you are always making everyone here feel better about themselves, you need to be reminded that you are special b/c of WHO you are.

Don't let others' stares or unkindness ever change Muwah or make you second guess yourself. You have brought so much joy and wisdom to NT. I for one, am the better for getting to know you, even if it is in our lil cyber world here. We're lucky to have SM here, too! (someone's got to keep you in line) *insert grin*

take care friend~ you are truly cared about here.

PS: Give me her description, etc and I'll find her and give her a big SMACK!!!!!!!!! :hug:

Spanish Moss 09-23-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da duck (Post 374604)
I have a son that people sometimes stare at...he's different. He knows that he is different. He wishes that he weren't. BUT....someone said something to him this summer...
someone that he loves and admires...who has TS and a couple of cats...who has a wonderful wife and a bright, shining, loving sprit...
someone who said something that has helped my son understand himself better. Something that made him feel more "normal" about not being normal.
someone who does not know that, because of what he said, has changed the whole person that my son is...
he draws now.
he writes.
he shows off his work.
he says that he is the best that HE can be...and that the people who count love him the most.
and I don't want to know what it was...I only want my friend to know what he has been for my son. A true friend. An inspiration and a soft place to fall.

PS....blue footed boobies!!!!! I love the name, I love the bird...I love the picture

Sweet Quacker-friend....you have brought tears to my eyes....
because of two amazing men...
one is your son...
one is in the next room...
and you aren't so bad yourself, young lady!!!!

who moi 09-23-2008 08:59 PM

ducky...

you've made me choke up a bit here...

he is such a special young man....

I remember when he cried at the restaurant because of the local shrimp and how FRESH the shrimp was....that appreciation of the little things....I was really a student that day...

and then when he danced at our weeding...:D

and that walk we had downtown that day....how well he handled himself...our little talk....he just amazes me....

and like the moss said, you're not too shabby yourself....

((((((BIG HUGS)))))))

Quote:

Originally Posted by da duck (Post 374604)
he draws now.
he writes.
he shows off his work.

who moi 09-23-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaded2nite (Post 374690)
Ignorant old broad!!!

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

((((Moi))))

hi jade, LOL I am with you....((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))) thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamiloo (Post 374713)
Moi...you should have called me! Thats what a big sis is for!:hug: http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...ys/36_5_71.gif http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...ys/4_14_61.gif
Oh, my Moi, I'm so sorry because of this womens lack of knowlege or heart that she was just "stupid". I hope she never has to face challenges even a fraction of what any of us experience.

Hey, guy we love you!! As the Olhipie says to me...I love your guts!!

EEEeeeek...I have 12 days til I go under the knife...back surgery...black and decker. I can hear the drills now!!!:eek:

thanks Tammilooloo...(((((((BIG HUGS)))))))

I was just more amused than anything at first....
It was another part of my "growing up" journey I needed, I think...it's made me becoming more a "Michael" that Dmack has posted....

I think it was actually a good thing for me...for me to become more like Scott, Vick's son, and Michael, Dmack's friend, and Dale, Ducky's son...

it turned out to be a positive journey for me...just part of it...I am going to handle it better next time also...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DM (Post 374736)
Hello my friend, Muwah! So sorry I didn't see this earlier; I haven't been online much today. (no excuse) I am sorry for the pain that an ignorant person left you with, but while you are always making everyone here feel better about themselves, you need to be reminded that you are special b/c of WHO you are.

Don't let others' stares or unkindness ever change Muwah or make you second guess yourself. You have brought so much joy and wisdom to NT. I for one, am the better for getting to know you, even if it is in our lil cyber world here. We're lucky to have SM here, too! (someone's got to keep you in line) *insert grin*

take care friend~ you are truly cared about here.

PS: Give me her description, etc and I'll find her and give her a big SMACK!!!!!!!!! :hug:

awwwww, DM...(((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))

no worries!! We have a NO pressure friendship!! Replies are NOT required!!!!

Cause I KNOW deep in my heart that you guys care...I really DO...that's why it is good to vent here....even if nobody would've responded to me, I would've been fine!! I am a venter...LOL I vent and then I am good to go...

btw, she looks a bit like...."Nappy!!" LMAO.....hee hee...wooooo...I am instigating now...LOL
no, but seriously....I am fine..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just wanted to thank you all for responding and all the private ones I've been getting also...

I really was just talking about support and how much the support here is awesome from what I was reading...and then some how I snuck that little low self-esteem crap in there and got everyone worked up...LOL sorry about that.... :p

((((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))))))))))))

to all of you....

I am running out of words to use...I am sick of using "honored" "Grateful"

so, the "thanks" button is just going to have to speak for me....but it is a thanks that is so deep within me....

:grouphug:

tamiloo 09-23-2008 11:13 PM

Years ago when Olhipie was still able to walk with a cane he parked a distance from a store and an man followed him to the store and began yelling at him. He was angry because he said that he should have parked in the handicapped parking...we call it the pity parking...just to be silly. But this man was angry because he took his spot! Whatever!

Then there those who say they wish they had a power chair like his and the Olhipie will say I wish I had legs like your's, I'd give you my chair...People are so...I guess I don't have words to describe...

DM 09-24-2008 08:37 AM

Tam~ I totally "get" what you're saying about people wishing they could have an electric chair like Craig.

I have people say to me all the time~ I wish I didn't have to work and could just stay home and goof around. It irks me to no means. :mad:

I WISH I could have kept my job that I loved!!! I feel really bad for our members here that have to work and are physically struggling to do so, but the people who say that to me are ABLE to do anything they want. *sorry for the rant, but your post made me think of that*

Goes back to the original topic~ unless you LIVE it, you just don't GET it!

Oh and Muwah~ Who said we were "friends"???? :D:p:rolleyes::winky:

(you know I'm kidding, or am I????) Hugs to you and SM MY friends!!! :hug: