NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Woman Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/55688-woman-question.html)

mbabic 10-06-2008 07:48 AM

Woman Question

I am wondering if any woman out there had symptoms of MS flair a little when they are PMS'ing? I noticed the hormonal change effected me physically. I looked for info on the internet but could not find anything. Thanks for any info. M.

weegot5kiz 10-06-2008 08:13 AM

MB pardon the intrusion, I seem to recall yes it can give some effects, I thought it was something to do with body temp but I could be wrong, well odds are I am but I do recall, talking to a couple woman about such subject, and they also had sx once a month

Desinie 10-06-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbabic (Post 383350)
I am wondering if any woman out there had symptoms of MS flair a little when they are PMS'ing? I noticed the hormonal change effected me physically. I looked for info on the internet but could not find anything. Thanks for any info. M.

Yes, most months I notice an increase in symptoms at PMS time.

GladysD 10-06-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbabic (Post 383350)

Yep! Absolutely, from extra fatigue to pins/needles feelings, don't get me started on the headaches and emotions, lol. It's like PMS amplified....plus toss in the ms sx's....

I seem to be better now that my body has adjusted to my meds, however. :hug:

SallyC 10-06-2008 05:26 PM

To tell you the truth, my periods were always painful and yucky, so I don't know if I felt any worse with MS or not. But I would guess, yes!!:mad:

dmplaura 10-06-2008 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 383564)
To tell you the truth, my periods were always painful and yucky

Second this notion.

Gazelle 10-07-2008 05:33 AM

Yeah, I asked my neuro about this at the last visit and he said that it does, indeed, as Frank pointed out, have to do with a rise in body temperature around ovulation. It's like Uhthoff's syndrome and is normal.

Still, it does stink that it happens. Ain't it lovely being female? :rolleyes:

mbabic 10-07-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazelle (Post 383838)
Yeah, I asked my neuro about this at the last visit and he said that it does, indeed, as Frank pointed out, have to do with a rise in body temperature around ovulation. It's like Uhthoff's syndrome and is normal.

Still, it does stink that it happens. Ain't it lovely being female? :rolleyes:

Thanks, I suspected it was a rise in body temp. All info really helps and it helps to get a female point of view too!

RedPenguins 10-10-2008 02:01 AM

When I was first dx, I was told a change in hormones could have led to my symptoms. See, I was on BC and had not been having my periods...and then last December, I hadn't taken it for a few weeks (forgot to refill) and got my period.... So my doc thought that the hormone change, along with two other possible triggers, resulted in this initial flare, which brought on the dx.

Other two triggers: Stress - was stuck at LAX Airport for 21 hours a few days before Xmas with a 16 month old and also the flight - change in air pressure.

No idea if any of them, alone or in combination, is responsible for my first flare...but I have had heard from others that hormone changes can cause symptoms to show up.

~k

Catch 10-18-2008 10:57 PM

Oh, yeah! PMS has always been a fun time for me anyway, throw MS into the works and blammo...let the fun begin! :winky:

Thank god I'm going through menopause and for the most part my normally horrific PMS has toned down quite a bit. The MS totally makes up for it though. For 5-7 days before my period it's like a flare. And as MS likes to do, it's something different every month.

God I hate inconsistancy! Give me routines! They're easier to cope with.