NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   T.V. and such (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/55743-t-v-and-such.html)

befuddled2 10-06-2008 10:20 PM

T.V. and such

I believe that I bought a surge protector for a T.V. when I had wanted to get one for a computer. I've never heard of a surge protector for a T.V. before but with the HD T.V. and Plasma I guess I can see why at what they cost. I'm wondering if the HD T.V.'s price will come down after the their signal turns digital for while? I mean will there be a rush on them and then later when it settles I wonder if the price will come down?

befuddled2

MelodyL 10-07-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by befuddled2 (Post 383726)
I believe that I bought a surge protector for a T.V. when I had wanted to get one for a computer. I've never heard of a surge protector for a T.V. before but with the HD T.V. and Plasma I guess I can see why at what they cost. I'm wondering if the HD T.V.'s price will come down after the their signal turns digital for while? I mean will there be a rush on them and then later when it settles I wonder if the price will come down?

befuddled2

Hi. Just my two cents, but I would imagine that anyone who can afford a HD tv would already have had cable or sattellite installed in their home already.

I can't imagine ANYONE owning a high definition tv and not having cable.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Anybody???

melody

Jomar 10-07-2008 11:39 PM

I think there will be good sales on HD tv's starting for the holidays and into the new year.

We had to replace our old TV a couple months ago due to lightning/or power surge.

We got a LCD HDTV and only use a roof top antenna. It works fine in our location.

The TV gets both types signals so we get double channels for now until the analog signal is dropped next February.

The analog {NTSC} channels are not as clear as the digital {ATSC} channels on the new tv.

more info -
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-3.html

watsonsh 10-08-2008 01:44 AM

Hey befuddles I think you are talking about a coupel of different things here.

First with LCD and Plasma screens it is smart to get surge protectors because and kind of power surge can burn out the screen.

All of television, not just LCD or Plasmas, is going digital in February. Analog signals (current over the air broadcast) will be going away. That means depending on the age of your TV you may need to get a digital converter to continue to receive TV, especially if you do not have cable or satellite service. If you do have cable or satellite service you may not need to do anything. Check with your provider.

LCD or Plasma TVs have dropped significantly in price in the last two years. The digital conversion will have little effect on price. I believe the best prices and time to buy are in January for the most part.

The prices will continue to drop. Some of it is dependent on factories that make the flat panels and as they increase the prices drop further. And know that as prices drop there is little differentiation in the quality of the sets as certain parts are made by the same manufacturer. For example Samsung pretty much makes all of the glass or flat panel glass for all of the TVs in the market with the exception of Sony I believe so there is little difference in the picture you wil see form one lower price maker to another.

Anyway hope that helps.

befuddled2 10-08-2008 02:28 AM

Thank you Melody, Jo, and Shelly.

Melody, you brought up a good point.

Jo, thank you for the link.

Shelly, thank you for all of your explanations. I may seriously start to think about getting one in January if that will be a good month.

befuddled2

Jomar 10-08-2008 11:58 AM

I forgot to add that surge protectors are good for any big ticket electronics that you own.
Refrigerator, microwave, TV & computer.

We did have an older protector on our old TV that got affected by a storm but it might have been to old or not able to handle the last storm. it was a long storm, not normal for us around here.
TV still worked but just did not pick up the UHF channels anymore:confused:

That's why we went ahead and got a new LCD now.
It was on sale at a good price.

kicker 10-10-2008 07:08 AM

Have a Vizio bought after watching TVs at Sears. It was in our price range and so far very happy with it. Got the extended waranty as hear they can break. (all, just not Vizio)